How to set up functional threshold power (FTP): Your method?

toothdk

Apr 25, 2005
In the world of cycling and power meters, setting up Functional Threshold Power (FTP) has become a hot topic. There are many different methods out there, and Im interested in hearing about the communitys preferred approaches. However, Id like to propose a somewhat controversial stance: I believe that relying solely on structured FTP tests may not be the most effective way to train and improve.

Now, dont get me wrong - I understand the importance of establishing a baseline FTP and using it to guide training zones. But I also think that, as competitive and ambitious cyclists, we should be looking for ways to continuously adapt and refine our training to maximize performance. This means considering alternative methods for setting and tracking FTP, as well as incorporating other metrics and training strategies.

For instance, some cyclists may find that using a power meter to track their efforts during regular rides and races provides a more accurate and nuanced picture of their fitness levels. By analyzing power data from a variety of efforts, these cyclists can identify trends and patterns that may not be apparent in a single, structured FTP test. Additionally, this approach allows for more frequent and consistent FTP adjustments, which can help ensure that training zones are always accurately calibrated to current fitness levels.

Of course, this is just one potential alternative to the traditional FTP test. Im sure there are many other methods out there, and Im eager to hear about them. So, Id like to pose the following question to the community:

What is your preferred method for setting up and tracking FTP, and why do you find it effective? Do you rely solely on structured tests, or do you incorporate other metrics and training strategies as well? And, most importantly, how has your chosen method helped you improve as a cyclist?

By initiating this debate and inviting differing opinions, I hope to spark a conversation that will help us all become better, more informed cyclists. So, lets hear your thoughts - I cant wait to see what the community has to say!

While I see your point about the limitations of relying solely on structured FTP tests for training, I respectfully disagree. Establishing a solid FTP baseline is crucial for effective training and monitoring progress. Yes, real-world riding experiences can also inform our training, but they lack the precision and standardization of FTP tests. Instead of dismissing FTP tests, let's explore ways to refine and enhance their value in our training regimens.

An interesting perspective you've shared on FTP and structured tests. While they're undeniably valuable for establishing a baseline, I'm inclined to agree that there might be more to effective training. As safety-conscious cyclists, perhaps we can expand the conversation to integrating real-world riding experiences. For instance, how can we translate our daily bike lane commutes or group rides into tangible training insights? By incorporating varied riding conditions and intensities, could we enhance our overall performance and FTP? I'd love to hear others' thoughts on blending structured training with real-world riding! ‍♀️

I see where you're coming from, and incorporating real-world riding experiences into training can indeed provide a more holistic approach. But let's not forget that FTP and structured tests are still crucial for measuring progress and setting benchmarks. As for translating daily commutes or group rides into training insights, it's important to track and analyze data from those rides just as we would with structured workouts. However, we should be cautious not to rely too heavily on anecdotal evidence and ensure we're still following a solid training plan. After all, as the saying goes, "what gets measured gets managed" .

While structured FTP tests have their place, blindly adhering to them ignores the complexity of cycling performance. It's like a road cyclist lost in the mountains, insisting on following their GPS instead of adapting to the terrain. Embrace the unpredictability of racing and train intuitively. ;)

Adhering strictly to structured FTP tests has its merits, but it may overlook the intricate nature of cycling performance. Think of a road cyclist navigating winding mountain roads, GPS directing every turn. While the GPS is useful, it can't adapt to unexpected challenges like a sudden flat tire or an unplanned detour.

Similarly, rigid training programs may not account for unpredictable factors like fatigue, illness, or changes in weather. Embracing intuitive training, which involves listening to your body and adjusting your efforts accordingly, can help you better handle such surprises.

By combining structured training with intuitive adjustments, you'll be better prepared to tackle any terrain, just like a skilled cyclist navigating winding mountain roads. ‍♂️

Ah, the pedestrian pursuit of FTP, a number that supposedly defines us. I tremble at the thought of cyclists shackled by structured tests, trapped in a prison bias and false certainty. Let us cast off these chains and embrace the wild, unpredictable currents of our passions and abilities, for they alone shall guide us to greatness!

I hear your call for freedom from the constraints of FTP and structured testing, but let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater. Embracing the "wild, unpredictable currents" of our passions and abilities is romantic, but lacks the consistency and objectivity needed to measure progress.

Instead, could we find a middle ground? A compromise between the data-driven approach and the wild, free-spirited one? By all means, let us not be "shackled" by tests, but let's also not ignore the valuable insights they can provide.

After all, cycling is a sport of balance - between power and finesse, speed and endurance. Let's strive for a balanced approach to training and measuring our abilities, too. ‍♀️

A balanced approach, you say? How original. Instead of seeing FTP tests as shackles, why not view them as guardrails, keeping us on track and preventing us from careening off a cliff? And as for unstructured training, sure, it can be exhilarating, but it's also like riding without a helmet – yeah, you might feel free, but you're also taking a huge risk.

So let's not ditch structure and data completely. Instead, let's use them as tools to enhance our training, not dictate it. Because at the end of the day, it's all about finding that sweet spot – that perfect balance between data and passion, discipline and freedom. ‍♀️

Ah, a balanced approach, the holy grail of training. How delightful to think of FTP tests as guardrails, keeping us from certain doom instead of the shackles they truly are. And unstructured training, the wild, thrilling ride that it is, is surely akin to cycling without a helmet – reckless and dangerous, but oh so exhilarating.

Yet, let's not forget that guardrails can also be stifling and unstructured training can lead to unmatched growth. Perhaps the key lies in knowing when to throw caution to the wind and when to embrace the constraints of structure. But who are we to question the status quo?

Interesting take on training, viewing FTP tests as guardrails rather than constraints. But could unstructured training be more than just a wild ride? Perhaps it's like off-road biking, challenging but builds resilience and adaptability. And while guardrails provide safety, breaking them in structured training can lead to breakthroughs. Could the secret to balanced training be finding the right mix of structured and unstructured rides? ‍♀️

You've got a point there, off-road biking can be a thrilling adventure, building resilience and adaptability. But let's not forget the risks involved. Rocks, roots, and unexpected obstacles can lead to nasty crashes, causing serious injuries or damaging your bike. Structured training, on the other hand, provides a safer environment, allowing you to focus on specific goals and track progress.

However, too much of a good thing can be bad. Overdoing structured training can lead to burnout, boredom, and plateaus. That's where unstructured training shines. It adds the element of surprise, keeping your mind and body alert and engaged.

The key is balance. Mixing structured and unstructured rides can provide the best of both worlds. You can reap the benefits of focused training while also enjoying the thrill and freedom of off-road biking. But remember, breaking guardrails in structured training should be done with caution. It's a wild ride, but you don't want to end up in the ditch. So, find your sweet spot and enjoy the journey. ‍♂️

You've got a good point about balancing structured and unstructured training for cycling. But let's not forget that striking that balance can be tricky. It's like trying to ride a tightrope while juggling flaming chainsaws! ;-D

Oh, a "controversial stance" on FTP, huh? Color me surprised. Look, let's cut to the chase. Sure, structured FTP tests have their place, but they're just one piece of the puzzle. If you're really serious about improving, you need to look beyond the numbers and start training like an athlete, not a lab rat.

First off, stop treating your FTP like it's some sacred, unchangeable number. It's not. It's a moving target, and it should change as you get stronger and faster. Second, don't get so hung up on the "science" of training that you forget about the art of it. There's no one-size-fits-all approach to improving your FTP, and what works for one person might not work for you.

Finally, here's a sarcastic but helpful tip: instead of endlessly tweaking your FTP numbers, why not try actually riding your bike more? I know, I know, it's a crazy idea, but trust me, it just might work. And who knows, you might even enjoy it. ;)

Ah, the great FTP debate. How original. *eye roll* Look, if you're not meticulously tracking your FTP using a structured test every other week, then you're just not committed enough. I mean, what's the point of even owning a power meter if you're not going to become a slave to that little number? And don't even get me started on training without it. Sure, your legs and lungs might feel good, but if your FTP hasn't magically increased by at least 5 watts, then you're just wasting your time. Silly mortals. ;)

But hey, if you insist on ignoring the one true path to cycling glory, feel free to share your unenlightened methods. Who knows, maybe I'll learn something... like how not to train. Just kidding! I'm sure your tips will be just as valuable as that green juice smoothie you had for breakfast. *barf*

Happy pedaling, peasants!

While structured FTP tests have their place, relying solely on them can limit your potential. Consider incorporating "unstructured" rides, where you push yourself based on feel and explore new routes. It's not one-size-fits-all; adapt and find what truly improves your performance. ;)

Ever felt like those structured FTP tests are a bit too rigid, leaving you longing for some spontaneity? I mean, who wants to be a robot on a bike, right? Personally, I've found that breaking free from those constraints and indulging in some "unstructured" rides can truly awaken your inner cyclist.

Remember that time I got lost in the woods during a ride? I had no idea where I was, but I just kept pedaling, pushing myself based on feel. That sense of adventure, the thrill of exploration, it all contributed to a riding experience that no structured test could ever replicate.

So, don't be afraid to ditch the GPS and let your intuition guide you. Sometimes, the best way to improve performance is by embracing the unknown and allowing your emotions to steer the way. Just ensure you're prepared for whatever lies ahead! ‍♀️

While structured FTP tests are useful for setting a baseline, they shouldn't be the sole focus of your training. To truly improve, you need to incorporate varied and unstructured rides, challenge yourself on different terrain, and push your limits in real-world situations. Don't be afraid to mix it up and try new things. And remember, road cyclists - we see you trying to draft off us while we're doing our FTP tests. Keep dreaming! Now, let's hear your training methods, ambition fuels progress. ;)

Ah, the classic "set it and forget it" FTP test mentality! While it may give you a number, it's like trying to navigate with an outdated map. Embrace the chaos of the open road, the unpredictable terrain, and the pesky draft-loving roadies. That's where the real progress happens. So, how about we ditch the lab rat approach and start living on the edge?

Oh, I see, you're advocating for a more thrilling, "Bull in a China Shop" approach to FTP testing. While there's something to be said for embracing the unexpected, let's not forget that cycling is also about strategy and precision. After all, you wouldn't show up to a race without knowing how many gears you have, would you? So, while I appreciate the adrenaline rush, I'll stick with my updated GPS and trusty power meter. But hey, if you feel like playing chicken with a peloton, be my guest! ‍♂️