or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

TA Alize crank comments

post #1 of 4
I was thinking of buying a TA Alize crankset from Peter White Cycles because I think they are a good
deal considering I would like chainring sizes different than 52-42-30 (I would like 50-40-28), and
they look nice. However, I have to wonder why it appears that the only distributor in the Western
Hemisphere is a single guy in New Hampshire (nothing against Peter, nice guy, let me ride his
Rambouillet once). Why does noone else carry these? He now posted the weight on his site and they
are comparable to Ultegra. The only negative I can see is that they require either an expensive Phil
or TA bottom bracket (although Shimano is probably pretty close). Any comments on these cranksets?

Thanks,

Kyle
post #2 of 4

Re: TA Alize crank comments

http://www.bicycleclassics.com/cranks.html
--
Regards, Gene Tolli
post #3 of 4

Re: TA Alize crank comments

On 1/8/03 12:43, in article a13b2743.0301080943.7fc241b6@posting.google.com, "Jeff Wills"
<jwills@pacifier.com> wrote:

> "KBH" <kbh9@hollasch.com> wrote in message news:<GXHS9.276753$qF3.24605@sccrnsc04>...
>> I was thinking of buying a TA Alize crankset from Peter White Cycles because I think they are a
>> good deal considering I would like chainring sizes different than 52-42-30 (I would like
>> 50-40-28), and they look nice. However, I have to wonder why it appears that the only distributor
>> in the Western Hemisphere is a single guy in New Hampshire (nothing against Peter, nice guy, let
>> me ride his Rambouillet once). Why does noone else carry these? He now posted the weight on his
>> site and they are comparable to Ultegra. The only negative I can see is that they require either
>> an expensive Phil or TA bottom bracket (although Shimano is probably pretty close). Any comments
>> on these cranksets?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Kyle
>
> No comments on the Alize crankset (aside from "I want one, too!"), but if you're leary of the BB
> compatibility, why not put the Alize chainrings on a Shimano crank? Also, FSA shows 50 tooth outer
> and 39 tooth (I think) "middle" chainrings for 130mm bolt circle.
>
> Jeff

According to the latest from Peter White, TA has switched their BB taper to match Shimano's
non-splined taper. If you can get a hold of one of these new cranks, stamped "J" on the back
according to Peter, then you can use something like a Shimano UN-72 or -52, which are quite cheap
these days.

Baird
post #4 of 4

Re: TA Alize crank comments

Be warned - despite what others will claim, TA rings do not shift remotely as well as Shimano ones
with Shimano FDs. With Campy Ergo you can overshift and then trim back to work around this, but STI
relies on those ramps and hooks to grab the chain for you and TA's rings have very tiny pick-up
hooks and not much by way of ramps.

I have a TA Zephyr with various rings, plus Shimano UN-72 (fits perfectly) that I would be happy to
take offers on (I got so sick of the poor shifting of the TA rings that I swapped to a Shimano 105
triple crank, despite the resulting non-optimal ratios - probably I should have gone Ergo instead).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cycling Equipment
This thread is locked