OT: Less than zero

Mattb

Guest
One thing about living up here in skiing and biking paradise is the weather can be a little on the
harsh side from time to time. Like today.

I got up this morning to a lot of frost on the windows and looked out at the thermometer. It was
reading -38 F It's been sunny and nice looking all day, until you hit the air. The high temp has
come and gone. It was -1. We never broke zero and now it's starting to drop again (currently at
-2). Ouch.

Still not a cloud in the sky...

--

Matt

"Gravity. It's not just a good idea, it's the law!"

MattB wrote:
> One thing about living up here in skiing and biking paradise is the weather can be a little on the
> harsh side from time to time. Like today.
>
> I got up this morning to a lot of frost on the windows and looked out at the thermometer. It was
> reading -38 F It's been sunny and nice looking all day, until you hit the air. The high temp has
> come and gone. It was -1. We never broke zero and now it's starting to drop again (currently at
> -2). Ouch.
>
> Still not a cloud in the sky...

The blue of the sky is almost erie on days like this.

Damn, -38 is a bit on the cold side even for me!

Oh, you and your ski pictures suck! <g>

Gary

MattB wrote:

> One thing about living up here in skiing and biking paradise is the weather can be a little on the
> harsh side from time to time. Like today.
>
> I got up this morning to a lot of frost on the windows and looked out at the thermometer. It was
> reading -38 F It's been sunny and nice looking all day, until you hit the air. The high temp has
> come and gone. It was -1. We never broke zero and now it's starting to drop again (currently at
> -2). Ouch.
>
> Still not a cloud in the sky...

Matt,

I was thinking about how cold -38 is (for those of you who are Farrenheit challenged that's about
-39 C). I've seen a couple of -20 or so days on the front range and here in Salida. I was
photographing a lunar eclipse in the middle of winter near Eleven Mile Reservoir (about 9000 ft MSL)
and -30 F. Stunningly cold. Frighteningly cold. Still not as cold as Gunnison this morning. Puts it
in perspective. Wear a scarf ;-)

Shawn

MattB wrote:

> One thing about living up here in skiing and biking paradise is the weather can be a little on the
> harsh side from time to time. Like today.
>
> I got up this morning to a lot of frost on the windows and looked out at the thermometer. It was
> reading -38 F It's been sunny and nice looking all day, until you hit the air. The high temp has
> come and gone. It was -1. We never broke zero and now it's starting to drop again (currently at
> -2). Ouch.
>
> Still not a cloud in the sky...

Matt,

I was thinking about how cold -38 is (for those of you who are Fahrenheit challenged that's about

MattB wrote:
> One thing about living up here in skiing and biking paradise is the weather can be a little on the
> harsh side from time to time. Like today.
>
> I got up this morning to a lot of frost on the windows and looked out at the thermometer. It was
> reading -38 F It's been sunny and nice looking all day, until you hit the air. The high temp has
> come and gone. It was -1. We never broke zero and now it's starting to drop again (currently at
> -2). Ouch.
>
> Still not a cloud in the sky...

Those days are kinda fun. Here in balmy Utah, we don't get real cold. But last week when the power
and heat went out, and my condo sank to 52 degrees one morning, got me better acclimatized to the
modest cold we have.

"We should not march into Baghdad. ... Assigning young soldiers to
a fruitless hunt for a securely entrenched dictator and condemning
them to fight in what would be an unwinnable urban guerilla war, it
could only plunge that part of the world into ever greater
instability." George Bush Sr. in his 1998 book "A World Transformed"

"MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> One thing about living up here in skiing and biking paradise is the
weather
> can be a little on the harsh side from time to time. Like today.
>
> I got up this morning to a lot of frost on the windows and looked out at
the
> thermometer. It was reading -38 F It's been sunny and nice looking all
day,
> until you hit the air. The high temp has come and gone. It was -1. We
never
> broke zero and now it's starting to drop again (currently at -2). Ouch.
>
> Still not a cloud in the sky...
>
> --
>
> Matt
>
> "Gravity. It's not just a good idea, it's the law!"

It has not been very warm here either. Glad I have a fireplace. The first thing I did when I bought
this house is put extra insulation in the ceiling.

TJ

MattB wrote:
> One thing about living up here in skiing and biking paradise is the weather can be a little on the
> harsh side from time to time. Like today.

Just got back from flying down to the North Carolina Outer Banks yesterday. Crystal clear mid 70s
weather doesn't occur all that often in the mid-atlantic in January!

Of course had to stick my feet in the ocean while I was at it ;)

Shawn Curry scribbled on a scrap of paper:
> MattB wrote:
>
>> One thing about living up here in skiing and biking paradise is the weather can be a little on
>> the harsh side from time to time. Like today.
>>
>> I got up this morning to a lot of frost on the windows and looked out at the thermometer. It was
>> reading -38 F It's been sunny and nice looking all day, until you hit the air. The high temp has
>> come and gone. It was -1. We never broke zero and now it's starting to drop again (currently at
>> -2). Ouch.
>>
>> Still not a cloud in the sky...
>>

> Matt,
>
> I was thinking about how cold -38 is (for those of you who are Farrenheit challenged that's about
> -39 C). I've seen a couple of -20 or so days on the front range and here in Salida. I was
> photographing a lunar eclipse in the middle of winter near Eleven Mile Reservoir (about 9000 ft
> MSL) and -30 F. Stunningly cold. Frighteningly cold. Still not as cold as Gunnison this morning.
> Puts it in perspective. Wear a scarf ;-)

I spent a couple of winters in the basin of Wyoming. It was regular to get weeks of -20 to -30 this
time of year. We'd all leave our cars running at the supermarket, and plug them in at night when we
got home. Once it's that cold, does 10 more negative degrees make a difference?

Penny

MattB wrote:

> One thing about living up here in skiing and biking paradise is the weather can be a little on the
> harsh side from time to time. Like today.
>
> I got up this morning to a lot of frost on the windows and looked out at the thermometer. It was
> reading -38 F It's been sunny and nice looking all day, until you hit the air. The high temp has
> come and gone. It was -1. We never broke zero and now it's starting to drop again (currently at
> -2). Ouch.
>
> Still not a cloud in the sky...

Kinda fun when you're sitting inside looking at everything outside so crisp,

bright and white. Then you walk out, take a breath, and your snot freezes inside

your nose. Uh Oh!

Paladin only -0- here, but our buddies an hour north are 20 below.

"Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote

> I spent a couple of winters in the basin of Wyoming. It was regular to
get
> weeks of -20 to -30 this time of year. We'd all leave our cars running at the supermarket, and
> plug them in at night when we got home. Once it's
that
> cold, does 10 more negative degrees make a difference?

Upstate NY gets like that sometimes.

I was in the USAF at Griffiss AFB in the late 70's. Got to about 25-30 below, and they closed
flightline operations and sent everyone home.

"Hey..let's go night skiing!" Everyone else thought we were nuts.

We were.

Pete

"MattB" <[email protected]> had this to say
news:[email protected]

> One thing about living up here in skiing and biking paradise is the weather can be a little on the
> harsh side from time to time. Like today.
>
> I got up this morning to a lot of frost on the windows and looked out at the thermometer. It was
> reading -38 F It's been sunny and nice looking all day, until you hit the air. The high temp has
> come and gone. It was -1. We never broke zero and now it's starting to drop again (currently at
> -2). Ouch.
>
> Still not a cloud in the sky...

You guys are truly hearty souls. I don't know that I could take that kinda extreme..

Dave (hearing that just makes me shiver!)

"John Harlow" <[email protected]> had this to say
news:[email protected]

> MattB wrote:
>> One thing about living up here in skiing and biking paradise is the weather can be a little on
>> the harsh side from time to time. Like today.
>
> Just got back from flying down to the North Carolina Outer Banks yesterday. Crystal clear mid 70s
> weather doesn't occur all that often in the mid-atlantic in January!
>
> Of course had to stick my feet in the ocean while I was at it ;)

Yep, this is definetly more my speed! Course when the summer comes it'll be the reverse..I'll wish
to hell I lived in cooler climes

Dave

Penny S wrote:
> Shawn Curry scribbled on a scrap of paper:
<snip>
> I spent a couple of winters in the basin of Wyoming. It was regular to get weeks of -20 to -30
> this time of year. We'd all leave our cars running at the supermarket, and plug them in at night
> when we got home. Once it's that cold, does 10 more negative degrees make a difference?

Not on the skin so much, but it does make the house harder to keep warm, cars harder to start, etc.
This is the coldest I've seen it the 14 years I've lived here. -30 is usually the bottom end of the
scale. We're feeling every draft. Block heaters are popular, but I just use a garage. I did have to
replace a car battery on Saturday, but it was about time for that one to go. If you can brave the
cold it would be easy pickings for car thieves at the supermarket here too. One year I had a door
handle on my Toyota wagon snap off. That sucked.

Matt

> Penny
>> Shawn

Paladin says:

>Then you walk out, take a breath, and your snot freezes inside your nose. Uh Oh!

Reminds me of Moscow in the winter. Throw a glass of water out the kitchen window, and it's ice when
it hits the ground.

Steve

In news:[email protected],
MattB <[email protected]> typed:
> One thing about living up here in skiing and biking paradise is the weather can be a little on the
> harsh side from time to time. Like today.
>
> I got up this morning to a lot of frost on the windows and looked out at the thermometer. It was
> reading -38 F It's been sunny and nice looking all day, until you hit the air. The high temp has
> come and gone. It was -1. We never broke zero and now it's starting to drop again (currently at
> -2). Ouch.
>
> Still not a cloud in the sky...

Man that's like 'Jack London cut your dog open and climb inside' cold.

-20 was the worst I remember in WNY.

Mike

MattB wrote:

> One year I had a door handle on my Toyota wagon snap off. That sucked.
>
> Matt
>

>>Penny
>>
>>>Shawn

Speaking of handles, my hand kind of stuck to the door handle as I was coming back in from the hot
tub this morning at -10 here in Durango. Can't imagine what could have happened at -38.
--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove ".nospam" to reply)

"MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> One thing about living up here in skiing and biking paradise is the weather can be a little on the
> harsh side from time to time. Like today.
>
> I got up this morning to a lot of frost on the windows and looked out at the thermometer. It was
> reading -38 F It's been sunny and nice looking all day, until you hit the air. The high temp has
> come and gone. It was -1. We never broke zero and now it's starting to drop again (currently at
> -2). Ouch.
>
> Still not a cloud in the sky...

HA HA, we hit 15 yesterday. The inversion really sucks though. Up on Pinyon Mesa it was 20.

JD skipped Moab

> I got up this morning to a lot of frost on the windows and looked out at
the
> thermometer. It was reading -38 F It's been sunny and nice looking all
day,
> until you hit the air. The high temp has come and gone. It was -1. We
never
> broke zero and now it's starting to drop again (currently at -2). Ouch.

I was riding around in 38F temps this morning and my toes got a wee bit cold. Not sure what I'd do
if it were -38F! Probably move.

Dave

JD wrote:
> "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]
> berlin.de>...
>> One thing about living up here in skiing and biking paradise is the weather can be a little on
>> the harsh side from time to time. Like today.
>>
>> I got up this morning to a lot of frost on the windows and looked out at the thermometer. It was
>> reading -38 F It's been sunny and nice looking all day, until you hit the air. The high temp has
>> come and gone. It was -1. We never broke zero and now it's starting to drop again (currently at
>> -2). Ouch.
>>
>> Still not a cloud in the sky...
>
> HA HA, we hit 15 yesterday. The inversion really sucks though. Up on Pinyon Mesa it was 20.
>
> JD skipped Moab

Well at least it's a little better today. Only hit about -30 over night and is a balmy -7 right now.
We might even break 0 today! Woo-hoo!

Photo from yesterday morning: http://mattb.net/images/misc/-38%20F%202003-01-05.jpg

Matt (glad it doesn't usually get like this for more than a week or two a year)

"MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> One thing about living up here in skiing and biking paradise is the
weather
> can be a little on the harsh side from time to time. Like today.
>
> I got up this morning to a lot of frost on the windows and looked out at
the
> thermometer. It was reading -38 F It's been sunny and nice looking all
day,
> until you hit the air. The high temp has come and gone. It was -1. We
never
> broke zero and now it's starting to drop again (currently at -2). Ouch.
>
> Still not a cloud in the sky...

Supposed to get down to 25 tonight here. That's considered cold, in this part of the world.