Banning Night Riding

Here in Canada you have to have lights on your bike or you get a ticket.
I don't agree with banning at night, what happens if that's your only method or transport and you work shift work?

Night riding is really fun, you just have to be careful.

Some of my most fun times out riding have been at night so I completely agree on the fun aspect of it.

All you need are some lights and you're good to go.

Sure would, except the police departments would never enforce it, they don't enforce the law now that requires reflectors in all states, and some states do require lighting and they don't enforce any of it.

I don't know which state you live in but in the 11 states I have been to the laws seemed to be enforced when they were on the books. I'm sure it isn't the highest priority when compared to other traffic issues or crime even but they were enforced.

I don't know which state you live in but in the 11 states I have been to the laws seemed to be enforced when they were on the books. I'm sure it isn't the highest priority when compared to other traffic issues or crime even but they were enforced.

It all depends on the type of cop you encounter from my experiences.

Over here a helmet is required by law and of course riding on the pavement is against the law, yet I've never encountered a police officer talking to people riding without helmets or riding along the pavements but I am certain it does happen now and again going by how strict some of them can be. Some will have a go at you for stuff that can be seen as a grey area while others will completely let stuff slide.

It really depends and also the cops mood has a factor in things.

It all depends on the type of cop you encounter from my experiences.

Over here a helmet is required by law and of course riding on the pavement is against the law, yet I've never encountered a police officer talking to people riding without helmets or riding along the pavements but I am certain it does happen now and again going by how strict some of them can be. Some will have a go at you for stuff that can be seen as a grey area while others will completely let stuff slide.

It really depends and also the cops mood has a factor in things.

Why would riding on the pavement be illegal? In most places I have lived riding on sidewalks is illegal and people are required to ride on roads. This however is one of the rare ones to be enforced, but really, would you drive a car on a sidewalk? It makes sense to me.

While riding on the pavement is illegal, I don't think I've come across anybody that's been pulled up for doing it to be honest. It seems to be one of them laws that's been brought in but they're not too concerned about enforcing.

I'm sure the police have more important things to do with their time!

While riding on the pavement is illegal, I don't think I've come across anybody that's been pulled up for doing it to be honest. It seems to be one of them laws that's been brought in but they're not too concerned about enforcing.

I'm sure the police have more important things to do with their time!

That's the thing that's happening I think. While it's pretty dangerous to ride along the pavement I think cops just think there are better things they could be doing with their time, or that they cannot be bothered with doing anything but I don't know.

As I say it's also dependent on the cops mood.

While it CAN be dangerous to ride on the pavement I think a lot comes down to common sense of the cyclist. Your not going to be riding through a busy city centre on the pavement, running everyone over are you, but if it's quiet and you can ride on the pavement safely, I don't really see too much harm in it.

I definitely think that banning cycling at night should be the last option. I think there should be more commercials harping on the importance of having lighting equipment. By regularly putting such news on TV, more cyclists will be better informed. This will help to prevent accidents for sure.

Very reductive reasoning there. You don't "just get bike lanes". Depending on the location putting in bike lines can be a major and expensive undertaking.

Was having this same discussion a while ago and if a bike lane was put in you would probably find that people won't use the thing much which will then get a response from the council saying they don't see enough usage to justify spending more on putting in more bikes lanes.

I definitely think that banning cycling at night should be the last option. I think there should be more commercials harping on the importance of having lighting equipment. By regularly putting such news on TV, more cyclists will be better informed. This will help to prevent accidents for sure.

You need to carefully read the original post and replies. This isn't an issue in an area where a television advertising campaign would be the first or best option.

When things are done with common sense reasonable solutions are found. This solution to ban night ride makes no sense at all as people should be able to ride when they want.

I think there should be more laws regarding night riding. It should not necessarily be banning night riding because for some people, riding their bicycle at night is their only means to get home. So maybe the proper wearing of gears like helmets, reflector vests and such things should be enforced strictly by law. There should also be more street lights, just like here in our village, where street lights are so dim it's like they aren't really there.

Exactly, regulating it. Like any other vehicle, a bicycle needs to have proper lights and reflectors, as well as the rider, so if that is taken care of there are no risks involved.

Exactly, regulating it. Like any other vehicle, a bicycle needs to have proper lights and reflectors, as well as the rider, so if that is taken care of there are no risks involved.

Unfortunately most of the "cyclists" around these parts seem to be the type who roam around without a care in the world and with no care to anyone else or any other road user. It's pretty stressful to see sometimes.

I don't think it's fair to ban riding at night, because there are lots of people who use cycling as transport rather than a hobby, meaning that they need to get to places. They should all have lights on the bicycles though, as well as wearing reflective jackets so that they can be seen easily. This way, it will be much safer for everybody involved, which has to be a good thing.

Well, in those cases it's important that the police controls them and handles them tickets. In this way they will become more aware of the need of being visible, for their own safety.