Banning Night Riding

Well, in those cases it's important that the police controls them and handles them tickets. In this way they will become more aware of the need of being visible, for their own safety.

It would be a deterrent to people not using lights and other night riding safety equipment but sadly the cops, around here anyway, are pretty incompetent when it comes to this sort of stuff. In an ideal world this would be a regulated thing but sadly it seems to be a situation where all logic goes out the window as far as councils and governments are concerned.

It would be a deterrent to people not using lights and other night riding safety equipment but sadly the cops, around here anyway, are pretty incompetent when it comes to this sort of stuff. In an ideal world this would be a regulated thing but sadly it seems to be a situation where all logic goes out the window as far as councils and governments are concerned.

It is regulated where I live. Speaking locally is fine so long as you indicate it. Keep a global audience in mind.

It is regulated where I live. Speaking locally is fine so long as you indicate it. Keep a global audience in mind.

I think everyone can relate in some way or another to incompetence in their respective law enforcement and governments ;)

That usually happens all over the world. Many times laws do exist and are not enforced. On the other hand other sort of laws that really don't matter are usually enforced.

I don't really think you need to indicate it. When you're discussing laws relating to cycling, it is inherent in the topic that local laws are in force in different jurisdictions, and thus speaking locally is implied - speaking globally is the exception. . Unless there's a special world cycling law I'm not aware of.....

That post was something extremely confusing jimmy, I am not really sure what Jcycle meant, either cases we need to find ways to enjoy ourselves riding, but in safety obviously.

Worked 2nd shift for a number of years, so it was a necessity to ride at night. Reflective material everywhere, rear blinkies, pulsing bright front light. All standard safety equipment and was good. Headmount hands-free light for roadsides, etc. Have ridden at night for 25+ years urban, suburban, semi-rural and rural. Feel safer, truthfully. Have NEVER dealt with a case of auto driver roadrage at night. Daylight? Many times. Dogs? Many times as well. Night OR day. A CO2 pistol deals with THAT particular issue very effectively. Have trained several over the years to leave me alone. Banning night cycling because of driver or cyclist neglect is complete idiocy. What next? Walking? lol Having a minimum visibility regulation would be much more astute than an all out, knee-jerk ban. My bikes(4) are all equipped the same for day and night cycling in traffic. 200.00 per over time. If anyone wants recommendations PM me and I'll give you a list of my lighting components.

So how simple can it get, like you put very well, reflexive material everywhere, that is cheap enough and we are good to go well visible, no major drama.

Bikers should be enforced to use some sort of a lighting equipment (a headlight) and a reflective jacket and a blinker for the back to let cars know of their surrounds. I think it would be a better idea than banning night riding as banning it all together would not be a very wise idea...

banning night riding is so strange!!people have right to do what they like if what won't hurt others.But it is nessary to have the night light

banning night riding is so strange!!people have right to do what they like if what won't hurt others.But it is nessary to have the night light

Yep, we need to be properly identified and when we do so there is no reason to ban it. Now, if people don't do it eventually something more needs to be done.

I think night riding should definitely be banned unless the bike rider is riding with LED lights to ensure that he is seen.
Riding without lights causes great danger to him and drivers and causes a huge risk. It also would be to expensive for the city to install road lights in every part of town. The only way in solving this problem is to ban the riding with no street lights in the area or carried LED lights.

Really, so how are you implementing that? Are there police officers to fine you? In that case sure, but it's hard to see them all...

Banning night ridings ridiculous. There should obviously be rules to force you to wear adequate clothing and also having the right lights to make sure drivers see you. Why would you ban cycling simply because drivers are too selfish to even look for you?

I don't agree with banning night cycling. Some people just don't have the time during the day to do it plus with it getting darker earlier certain times of the year it doesn't give people much time to ride. If anything there should be more laws placed on cyclists to have proper attire and precautions in place when night cycling so they are definitely able to be seen. I don't believe banning all because the few that don't take the precautions is fair at all.

I do not want to badmouth stuff and very sorry in advance but it kind of sounds like when woman are attacked then told not to go outside at all,
Solutions do not work like this in my opinion, solutions have to be real solutions, not bans.

. You know, only few riders have the night light so you can expect an accident because most riders cannot be clearly seen by vehicle drivers. An anti to the proponent said that more lights should be installed on the road for the protection of cyclists.

I don't think that banning night riding is a good idea. We can solve the problem of accidents at night by many ways instead of banning the riders. Very few cycles are equipped with night lights and that is why companies should install night lights in very cycle they launch in the market. I also believe that lights should be installed on the roads so they the vehicles approaching the cycle will be able to see. Along with this, advanced reflectors can be installed on the back panel of the cycles because this will also help the vehicle driver to see the cycles on the roads.

I think that people should have some sort of test that they have to pass to go night riding. What if they don't have any car, and their only means of transportation is by bike?

I think everyone can relate in some way or another to incompetence in their respective law enforcement and governments ;)

The most famous avenue in Metro Manila is EDSA. It connects main cities except Manila. And the main problem os EDSA is traffic considering that there is no intersection. The analysis of the media is the incompetence of law enforcement so the government transferred the management of that avenue to the cops from the previous traffic enforcers. Unfortunately, the cops who are sporting Highway Patrol uniform is still no match to the traffic. So their competence has no visible effect to the problem of EDSA.