cheapest Giant dealer in Melbourne

Andrew Morris

Guest
Hi Folks,

looking to get my fiancé a Giant Sedona CX, so she can spend some quality
bike path time with me, and wondering if anyone knows which Melbourne Giant
dealers can offer the most price competition?

Cheers,

Andrew

Andrew Morris said:
Hi Folks,

looking to get my fiancé a Giant Sedona CX, so she can spend some quality
bike path time with me, and wondering if anyone knows which Melbourne Giant
dealers can offer the most price competition?

Cheers,

Andrew
Just bought a Giant Road bike from Lawrencia Cycles in Hawthorn. MUCH cheaper than any other dealer in Melb.

Good luck.

will give them a visit in the morning... so far, Freedom Machine have been
the best... $415 for a $450 bike....

"nitrous" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Andrew Morris Wrote:
> > Hi Folks,
> >
> > looking to get my fiancé a Giant Sedona CX, so she can spend some
> > quality
> > bike path time with me, and wondering if anyone knows which Melbourne
> > Giant
> > dealers can offer the most price competition?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Andrew

> Just bought a Giant Road bike from Lawrencia Cycles in Hawthorn. MUCH
> cheaper than any other dealer in Melb.
>
> Good luck.
>

> --
> nitrous

Dunno if the sell Giant but I have always found Melbourne Bicycle Centre in High St Prahan to be very competitive.

"Andrew Morris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> will give them a visit in the morning... so far, Freedom Machine have been
> the best... $415 for a $450 bike....

If it's $415, then isn't it a $415 bike?

Cheers
David M

Andrew Morris said:
Hi Folks,

looking to get my fiancé a Giant Sedona CX, so she can spend some quality
bike path time with me, and wondering if anyone knows which Melbourne Giant
dealers can offer the most price competition?

Cheers,

Andrew

Give the boys at CBD a hoy. Biggest seller of Giants in the southern hemisphere. They enjoy an excellent relationship with the distributor and will sort you out well.

Good luck!

Roadie_scum said:
Give the boys at CBD a hoy. Biggest seller of Giants in the southern hemisphere. They enjoy an excellent relationship with the distributor and will sort you out well.

Good luck!
Well, since everyone is putting their $1.67 worth in, go for the cheapest price, and get cheesy service and bland, big shop brushoffs thereafter.

If you ask nicely, and point out a price you wish them to beat, many shops will match prices, including the one I work in. They either can, or can't, depending on what price they bought that particular model (dependent on the volume they can afford to buy at once) for, how much they want your business, and who they are trying to beat. Giant, as a brand, is fairly disapproving of price cutting, especially on their new models. Shops who do this get short shrift if they keep it up. $450 >$415 is precisely 10%, which any shop should be able to cope with.

M "You'll be doing plenty of talking to the people you buy your bike from if you like them, make sure that you do" H

mfhor said:
Well, since everyone is putting their $1.67 worth in, go for the cheapest price, and get cheesy service and bland, big shop brushoffs thereafter.

If you ask nicely, and point out a price you wish them to beat, many shops will match prices, including the one I work in. They either can, or can't, depending on what price they bought that particular model (dependent on the volume they can afford to buy at once) for, how much they want your business, and who they are trying to beat. Giant, as a brand, is fairly disapproving of price cutting, especially on their new models. Shops who do this get short shrift if they keep it up. $450 >$415 is precisely 10%, which any shop should be able to cope with.

M "You'll be doing plenty of talking to the people you buy your bike from if you like them, make sure that you do" H

Honestly, that's all pretty solid, fair advice.

mfhor said:
[snip]

Shops who do this get short shrift if they keep it up. $450 >$415 is precisely 10%, which any shop should be able to cope with.

M "You'll be doing plenty of talking to the people you buy your bike from if you like them, make sure that you do" H

[smartass]Heh heh - now I know you sell things for a living: $450 reduced to $415 is 10% off?[/smartass]

Totally agree with the other stuff though.

Ritch

PS. Does CBD stock forks as well? It was pointed out in my one BR participation that my particular model has a very heavy fork (1998 Giant Peleton). I've not noticed 'cos it's my only bike, but I'm sure it is responsible for holding me back from moving up to A-grade.

ritcho said:
PS. Does CBD stock forks as well? It was pointed out in my one BR participation that my particular model has a very heavy fork (1998 Giant Peleton).

Yeah, I'm sure they could get you forks, but that's not an attribute that only they have. Most shops could help you out there, but they are a good one.

I've not noticed 'cos it's my only bike, but I'm sure it is responsible for holding me back from moving up to A-grade.

All my shortcomings on the bike are equipment related too! :D

Roadie_scum said:
wtf??????????
No, he's right ( :eek:) forgot about the extra $10.

Doh.

But 10% isn't unreasonable, you get a BV/club/regular customer discount off most bike/big item prices, or if the salesperson likes the cut of your jib/pants/hair.

Brain back into gear after holidays . . . creak, groan, clunk.

M " . . . wha? . . . " H

Roadie_scum said:
Yeah, I'm sure they could get you forks, but that's not an attribute that only they have. Most shops could help you out there, but they are a good one.

All my shortcomings on the bike are equipment related too! :D
Just the FORKS on the Peleton are heavy? What about the rest of the frame? fairly ordinary tube - RSX groupset ain't no lightweight neither . . .

You can get a really nice roadie for $1800 nowadays.

"mfhor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> models. Shops who do this get short shrift if they keep it up. $450
>>$415 is precisely 10%, which any shop should be able to cope with.

Or 7.7%, which should be even easier :)

Cheers
David M

"ritcho" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> PS. Does CBD stock forks as well? It was pointed out in my one BR
> participation that my particular model has a very heavy fork (1998
> Giant Peleton). I've not noticed 'cos it's my only bike, but I'm sure
> it is responsible for holding me back from moving up to A-grade.
>

> --
> ritcho

Hi Ritcho,

I don't think I was referring to just the front fork. As I mentioned to you
my wife has the very same model Peleton 8200. From memory I think I made
the comment that "the whole front end on that model was heavy". The fork is
heavy, the original wheels are heavy, the quill stem is heavy... hell, the
whole bike is just heavy and when you add a set of Profile Airstrykes to it
gets even heavier. I noticed in your case you have replaced some of the
original RSX100 with better stuff and as you said you built a better set of
wheels which would have to be lighter than the original RSX hubbed /Alex
DA22 rimmed ones.

Replacing the fork is not going to help you in this case. A lighter frame
and fork, (or new lighter bike for around $2000) would more likely be the
answer to shedding the kilos from one of these. I'm not saying that there
is a problem with this bike as they are a very solid, reliable unit. My wife
uses hers mainly for Triathlons so the weight factor is not so much of an
issue. In Triathlons unlike Crits you are not having to repeatedly and
rapidly accelerate the bike. It takes energy to accelerate a bike and the
heavier the bike the more energy is consumed to get it moving. Repeat this
scenario over and over in a crit and I think you get the picture.

If finances permit you to, I would keep this heavier bike as a training
bike and get a lighter bike specifically for racing on. I would personally
not look at CF framed bikes for Crit racing as the potential for crashes is
pretty high in these races. A friend of mine actually broke a TCR1 Team
frame in a minor race crash not long after getting the bike.

I bet it really upsets the some of the other B Graders on their expensive
bikes when you knock them off the podium on your not so expensive steed. ;-)

Geoff

"mfhor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Roadie_scum Wrote:
>> Yeah, I'm sure they could get you forks, but that's not an attribute
>> that only they have. Most shops could help you out there, but they are
>> a good one.
>>

>> All my shortcomings on the bike are equipment related too! :D

> Just the FORKS on the Peleton are heavy?

Cr-Mo

>What about the rest of the
> frame? fairly ordinary tube

6061 AL

>- RSX groupset ain't no lightweight neither

Agreed.

> You can get a really nice roadie for $1800 nowadays.

Exactly.
Richo: you now have no reason not to get a new bike.

> --
> mfhor

Geoff

"mfhor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Roadie_scum Wrote:
>> Yeah, I'm sure they could get you forks, but that's not an attribute
>> that only they have. Most shops could help you out there, but they are
>> a good one.
>>

>> All my shortcomings on the bike are equipment related too! :D

> Just the FORKS on the Peleton are heavy?

Cr-Mo

>What about the rest of the
> frame? fairly ordinary tube

6061 AL

>- RSX groupset ain't no lightweight neither

Agreed.

> You can get a really nice roadie for $1800 nowadays.

Exactly.
Richo: you now have no reason not to get a new bike.

> --
> mfhor

Geoff