Cross tyres for mud: recommendations?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Simon Brooke, Nov 3, 2007.

  1. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    As you may recall, I recently got myself a cross bike, which is mainly my
    commute bike. But the weekend after next I'm planning to ride a cross race
    on it. The course is likely to be quite muddy. I've previously entered
    cross races on a mountain bike, but never on a proper cross bike.

    The frame has masses of tyre clearance, so I don't think there's any upper
    limit on size within reason. But I want tyres which will roll well as well
    as cope with mud, so I'm inclined to go for narrower rather than wider -
    I'm not a strong rider at the best of times.

    Edinburgh Bike Co-op have Continental Speed Kings in 700x35 (but they're
    heavy - 520 grammes per tyre), and Continental Twisters in 700x32 (but
    even heavier). Wiggle have Michelin Cyclo Cross Jet in 700x30 at a more
    reasonable 340 grammes, but they don't look as if they'd cope with mud; or
    Michelin Cyclo Cross Mud 2 at the same width and weight, which look as if
    they would. They also have Schwalbe CX Pro in 700x30, but they don't quote
    the weight[1]; or Specialized Houffalize CX in 700x32 (again, weight not
    quoted). ProBikeKit has Vittorias, but they're out of stock of the only
    model that's really designed for mud. Parkers had Vredestein Premiato in
    700x30 at only 305 grammes, but they're out of stock; or the same in
    700x34 at 375 grammes.

    This site:
    http://members.aol.com/napavelo/tires.htm
    comments that Michelin 30mm are wider than most people's 30mm.

    Anyone got any particular recommendations? I'm thinking that (unless
    someone has a better idea) I'm likely to go for either the Michelin Mud 2
    or the Schwalbe CX Pro.

    [1] Zepnat quote 369 grammes per tyre for Schwalbe CX Pro 700x32 wire-on

    Q: Whats a webmaster?
    A: Like a spider, but nowhere near as intelligent.

    Tags:

  2. A.Lee

    A.Lee Guest

    Simon Brooke <simon@jasmine.org.uk> wrote:

    > As you may recall, I recently got myself a cross bike, which is mainly my
    > commute bike. But the weekend after next I'm planning to ride a cross race
    > on it. The course is likely to be quite muddy. I've previously entered
    > cross races on a mountain bike, but never on a proper cross bike.

    Dont worry at all about the weight of tyres. If it is muddy, you'll be
    carrying 3kgs of mud after the first lap.
    Get the thinnest(width) and cheapest available. Schwalbe are decent,
    I've been using them for the last 2 years.
    And dont let your tyres down to give better traction (unless of course
    you expect to win), as you'll get a pinch puncture far easier.

    I run mine at road tyre pressure - pretty hard, and didnt fall off at
    all last winter, some others check their tyre pressures with a pressure
    gauge - I pinch mine to see how hard they are.
    You can read too much into what kit you need, by the 5th lap, you wont
    be worried about 200g extra tyre weight, you'll just want to get to the
    end.
    Alan.

  3. Duncan Smith

    Duncan Smith Guest

    > As you may recall, I recently got myself a cross bike, which is mainly my
    > commute bike. But the weekend after next I'm planning to ride a cross race
    > on it. The course is likely to be quite muddy. I've previously entered
    > cross races on a mountain bike, but never on a proper cross bike.
    >
    > The frame has masses of tyre clearance, so I don't think there's any upper
    > limit on size within reason. But I want tyres which will roll well as well
    > as cope with mud, so I'm inclined to go for narrower rather than wider -
    > I'm not a strong rider at the best of times.

    I've only done one cyclo-cross race on an MTB so can't really speak
    first hand, but the guys at work who are keen on cyclo-cross use
    these:

    http://www.zepnat.com/component/pag...acturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,48/

    They only do tubs so prob. aren't suitable for the odd race - but the
    tread pattern and weight might give an indication of good
    characteristics to go for in another tyre..?

    Duncan

  4. Paul Boyd

    Paul Boyd Guest

    On 03/11/2007 17:56, Simon Brooke said,

    > Edinburgh Bike Co-op have Continental Speed Kings in 700x35

    I have a pair of those in 26", and I don't get on with them at all. I
    find they break away too easily when cornering, and slip and slide over
    anything wet. Their tarmac manners are also pretty appalling!

    --
    Paul Boyd
    http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

  5. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <1i70mer.kap0x01886la5N%alan@darkroom.+.com>, A.Lee
    ('alan@darkroom.+.com') wrote:

    > Simon Brooke <simon@jasmine.org.uk> wrote:
    >
    >> As you may recall, I recently got myself a cross bike, which is mainly
    >> my commute bike. But the weekend after next I'm planning to ride a cross
    >> race on it. The course is likely to be quite muddy. I've previously
    >> entered cross races on a mountain bike, but never on a proper cross
    >> bike.

    > Dont worry at all about the weight of tyres. If it is muddy, you'll be
    > carrying 3kgs of mud after the first lap.

    True!

    > Get the thinnest(width) and cheapest available. Schwalbe are decent,
    > I've been using them for the last 2 years.
    > And dont let your tyres down to give better traction (unless of course
    > you expect to win), as you'll get a pinch puncture far easier.

    I expect to be last - I'm old enough to be grandfather of the younger
    riders and father of all the others, I'm full of warfarin (which has
    exactly the opposite effect of EPO) and I never was fast even when young.

    > I run mine at road tyre pressure - pretty hard, and didnt fall off at
    > all last winter, some others check their tyre pressures with a pressure
    > gauge - I pinch mine to see how hard they are.
    > You can read too much into what kit you need, by the 5th lap, you wont
    > be worried about 200g extra tyre weight, you'll just want to get to the
    > end.

    Also true!

    IMHO, there aren't enough committed Christians, but that's care
    in the community for you. -- Ben Evans

  6. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <472cc73b$0$13938$fa0fcedb@news.zen.co.uk>, Paul Boyd
    ('usenet@abcd.invalid') wrote:

    > On 03/11/2007 17:56, Simon Brooke said,
    >
    >> Edinburgh Bike Co-op have Continental Speed Kings in 700x35

    > I have a pair of those in 26", and I don't get on with them at all. I
    > find they break away too easily when cornering, and slip and slide over
    > anything wet. Their tarmac manners are also pretty appalling!

    Thanks, that's them crossed (ho ho) off the list!

    [ This .sig subject to change without notice ]

  7. Rob Morley

    Rob Morley Guest

    In article <1i70mer.kap0x01886la5N%alan@darkroom.+.com>, A.Lee
    alan@darkroom.+.com says...
    > Simon Brooke <simon@jasmine.org.uk> wrote:
    >
    > > As you may recall, I recently got myself a cross bike, which is mainly my
    > > commute bike. But the weekend after next I'm planning to ride a cross race
    > > on it. The course is likely to be quite muddy. I've previously entered
    > > cross races on a mountain bike, but never on a proper cross bike.

    > Dont worry at all about the weight of tyres. If it is muddy, you'll be
    > carrying 3kgs of mud after the first lap.
    > Get the thinnest(width) and cheapest available. Schwalbe are decent,
    > I've been using them for the last 2 years.
    > And dont let your tyres down to give better traction (unless of course
    > you expect to win), as you'll get a pinch puncture far easier.

    What he said. :)

  8. Jim

    Jim Guest

    I was half thinking about trying a cross race today (would have been last
    for sure) but an evening stint out with mountain bikers (going over a cross
    course) put me in my place. I might have got on better by trying my first
    off-roading in the daylight! I fell off loads of times, even fell today
    going over the under 12s course in daylight.
    Good luck.
    Jim J

    "Simon Brooke" <simon@jasmine.org.uk> wrote in message
    > in message <1i70mer.kap0x01886la5N%alan@darkroom.+.com>, A.Lee
    > ('alan@darkroom.+.com') wrote:
    >
    >> Simon Brooke <simon@jasmine.org.uk> wrote:
    >>
    >>> As you may recall, I recently got myself a cross bike, which is mainly
    >>> my commute bike. But the weekend after next I'm planning to ride a cross
    >>> race on it. The course is likely to be quite muddy. I've previously
    >>> entered cross races on a mountain bike, but never on a proper cross
    >>> bike.

    >> Dont worry at all about the weight of tyres. If it is muddy, you'll be
    >> carrying 3kgs of mud after the first lap.

    > True!
    >
    >> Get the thinnest(width) and cheapest available. Schwalbe are decent,
    >> I've been using them for the last 2 years.
    >> And dont let your tyres down to give better traction (unless of course
    >> you expect to win), as you'll get a pinch puncture far easier.

    > I expect to be last - I'm old enough to be grandfather of the younger
    > riders and father of all the others, I'm full of warfarin (which has
    > exactly the opposite effect of EPO) and I never was fast even when young.
    >
    >> I run mine at road tyre pressure - pretty hard, and didnt fall off at
    >> all last winter, some others check their tyre pressures with a pressure
    >> gauge - I pinch mine to see how hard they are.
    >> You can read too much into what kit you need, by the 5th lap, you wont
    >> be worried about 200g extra tyre weight, you'll just want to get to the
    >> end.

    > Also true!
    >
    > --
    > simon@jasmine.org.uk (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
    >
    > IMHO, there aren't enough committed Christians, but that's care
    > in the community for you. -- Ben Evans

  9. > Anyone got any particular recommendations? I'm thinking that (unless
    > someone has a better idea) I'm likely to go for either the Michelin Mud 2
    > or the Schwalbe CX Pro.

    Schwalbe Racing Ralph in 700x35 which is a real tyre for
    competition............

  10. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    On Nov 4, 9:25 pm, "Klaus Steinkamp" <steinkl...@web.de> wrote:
    > > Anyone got any particular recommendations? I'm thinking that (unless
    > > someone has a better idea) I'm likely to go for either the Michelin Mud 2
    > > or the Schwalbe CX Pro.

    > Schwalbe Racing Ralph in 700x35 which is a real tyre for
    > competition............

    Thanks for the recommendation!

  11. > Thanks for the recommendation!

    De Nada

    You will be also satisfied while using it on track (street etc.)

    By the way what is the price in UK, here in Germany is 30 Euro/each

    Klaus

  12. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    On 5 Nov, 15:02, "Klaus Steinkamp" <steinkl...@web.de> wrote:
    > > Thanks for the recommendation!

    > De Nada
    >
    > You will be also satisfied while using it on track (street etc.)
    >
    > By the way what is the price in UK, here in Germany is 30 Euro/each
    >
    > Klaus

    Very hard to get in the UK! No-one has them in stock. There's a guy on
    eBay who has one tyre, but that's no good...
    It's a shame, because they look good. Anyone recommend a shop in
    Germany /Holland/Flanders which takes British credit/switch cards and
    ships quickly?

  13. Andy

    Andy Guest

    Simon Brooke wrote:
    > On 5 Nov, 15:02, "Klaus Steinkamp" <steinkl...@web.de> wrote:
    >>> Thanks for the recommendation!

    >> De Nada
    >>
    >> You will be also satisfied while using it on track (street etc.)
    >>
    >> By the way what is the price in UK, here in Germany is 30 Euro/each
    >>
    >> Klaus

    > Very hard to get in the UK! No-one has them in stock. There's a guy on
    > eBay who has one tyre, but that's no good...
    > It's a shame, because they look good. Anyone recommend a shop in
    > Germany /Holland/Flanders which takes British credit/switch cards and
    > ships quickly?

    Could try...

    http://www.bike24.com

    Site is in English, and has free shipping (to Germany at least) for
    orders over 50euros. I've used them a few times (with a Dutch credit
    card rather than UK), and had pretty good service.

    --
    Andy
    UK Expat Cyclist in Germany.

  14. Rob Morley

    Rob Morley Guest

    In article <1194355215.907283.27240@v3g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>, Simon
    Brooke
    stillyet@googlemail.com says...
    > On 5 Nov, 15:02, "Klaus Steinkamp" <steinkl...@web.de> wrote:
    > > > Thanks for the recommendation!

    > > De Nada
    > >
    > > You will be also satisfied while using it on track (street etc.)
    > >
    > > By the way what is the price in UK, here in Germany is 30 Euro/each
    > >
    > > Klaus

    > Very hard to get in the UK! No-one has them in stock.

    No stock here?

    http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=6751

  15. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    On Nov 7, 5:24 am, Rob Morley <nos...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
    > In article <1194355215.907283.27...@v3g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>, Simon
    > Brooke
    > still...@googlemail.com says...

    > > > De Nada

    > > > You will be also satisfied while using it on track (street etc.)

    > > > By the way what is the price in UK, here in Germany is 30 Euro/each

    > > > Klaus

    > > Very hard to get in the UK! No-one has them in stock.

    > No stock here?
    >
    > http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=6751

    Nope. Emailed them, they've got one in stock :-(

    I think it's going to be the Michelin Mud 2s...

  16. Rob Morley

    Rob Morley Guest

    In article <1194427505.612800.320530@o3g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>, Simon
    Brooke
    stillyet@googlemail.com says...
    > On Nov 7, 5:24 am, Rob Morley <nos...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
    > > In article <1194355215.907283.27...@v3g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>, Simon
    > > Brooke
    > > still...@googlemail.com says...

    > > > Very hard to get in the UK! No-one has them in stock.

    > > No stock here?
    > >
    > > http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=6751

    > Nope. Emailed them, they've got one in stock :-(
    >
    > I think it's going to be the Michelin Mud 2s...

    The http://www.zepnat.com/ website claims to have a pair in stock, but
    they're £30 each. Maybe you should just treat yourself to a nice set of
    sprint wheels and cross tubs - you know it makes sense. :)

  17. "Rob Morley" <nospam@ntlworld.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    In article <1194427505.612800.320530@o3g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>, Simon
    Brooke
    stillyet@googlemail.com says...
    > On Nov 7, 5:24 am, Rob Morley <nos...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
    > > In article <1194355215.907283.27...@v3g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>, Simon
    > > Brooke
    > > still...@googlemail.com says...

    Try to send an email to info@cycle-basar.de

    I'm sure they will help you, they got the Racing Ralph for 26,90 Euro each
    plus shipping

    http://cycle-basar.de (maybe you try it w/o knowledge of german language.

    http://www.cycle-basar.de/Reifen-Sc.../Schwalbe-Racing-Ralph-Crossreifen::1385.html

Share This Page