Cycle story in "The Idler"

Simon Mason

Guest
Some people might have heard of the "**** Towns" book in
which my home city occupied the nr 1 spot, largely due it's
fair to say, to the double barrelled southern twit who ended
up as a student in Hull and must have failed to get his leg
over or something and so took his anger out on our fair city
when he became a writer for "The Idler." To be fair to them,
I was lucky enough to appear in the book "**** Towns",
defending the place.

Anyway, The Idler people have also set up a site where
people can put their experiences of what makes them truly
happy in life, so I sent them a typical evening's ride
story which they've added to the page here.
http://www.idler.co.uk/html/chin/happychin.htm

Simon M.

"John Hearns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 12:25:19 +0100, Simon Mason wrote:
> >
> > Anyway, The Idler people have also set up a site where
> > people can put
their
> > experiences of what makes them truly happy in life,
>
> Evening cycle ride, sauna, beer sausage and pickles?
> Decadence. Sheer decadence.

If you think about it, riding up steep freezing cold hills
in winter
followed by scalding yourself with steam and whipping with
birch twigs is
all *suffering* compared to a night in front of the box with
a pizza ;-)

Simon M.

Simon Mason wrote:

> Some people might have heard of the "**** Towns" book in
> which my home city occupied the nr 1 spot, largely due
> it's fair to say, to the double barrelled southern twit
> who ended up as a student in Hull and must have failed to
> get his leg over or something and so took his anger out on
> our fair city when he became a writer for "The Idler."

Having had the misfortune to visit Stanley in Co Durham last
week, I'm amazed it didn't get in the book. It even trumps
Dunstable IMO.

Anyway, this is far funnier in the "we've escaped and now
we're going to diss our home town" stakes:
http://www.sheppeyscum.com

Zog The Undeniable wrote:
> Simon Mason wrote:
>
>> Some people might have heard of the "**** Towns" book in
>> which my home city occupied the nr 1 spot, largely due
>> it's fair to say, to the double barrelled southern twit
>> who ended up as a student in Hull and must have failed to
>> get his leg over or something and so took his anger out
>> on our fair city when he became a writer for "The Idler."
>

> Having had the misfortune to visit Stanley in Co Durham
> last week, I'm amazed it didn't get in the book. It even
> trumps Dunstable IMO.

Ah, memories...

I used to live in No Place (yes, really), just over the main
road from Beamish and the museum. I have to agree, Stanley
is a drab little place. But just cycle a mile or so back up
the road to No Place and the Beamish Mary, which has live
music and good beer. A much better place to get off the
cycle path after a pleasant ride from Sunderland!

Mark

> > Having had the misfortune to visit Stanley in Co Durham
> > last week, I'm amazed it didn't get in the book. It even
> > trumps Dunstable IMO.

It has a saving grace. The chip shop is rather good.

> Ah, memories...
>
> I used to live in No Place (yes, really), just over the
> main road from Beamish and the museum.

I feel sorry for the folk who live in Pity Me, also in
County Durham.

<[email protected]> wrote:

>Some people might have heard of the "**** Towns" book in
>which my home city occupied the nr 1 spot, largely due it's
>fair to say, to the double barrelled southern twit who
>ended up as a student in Hull

I'm a single-barrelled scouse git who ended up as a student
in Hull. Even compared to Liverpool at the ***-end of the
'70s, Hull _was_ a dump.

In message <[email protected]>,
Andy Dingley <[email protected]> writes

>>Some people might have heard of the "**** Towns" book in
>>which my home city occupied the nr 1 spot, largely due
>>it's fair to say, to the double barrelled southern twit
>>who ended up as a student in Hull
>
>I'm a single-barrelled scouse git who ended up as a student
>in Hull. Even compared to Liverpool at the ***-end of the
>'70s, Hull _was_ a dump.

Did you ever visit Hartlepool?
--
Sue ]|:))

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 10:37:12 +0100, Sue <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Did you ever visit Hartlepool?

Yes - there's _very_ little in it. Maybe Hull is _slightly_
preferable.

Blyth & Ashington are still worse. Probably the worst
towns of that size I've ever visited. I've lived in
Pontypool too (worse, but excusably smaller) and even
Newport wasn't that bad.
--
Smert' spamionam

Andy Dingley <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 12:25:19 +0100, "Simon Mason"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Some people might have heard of the "**** Towns" book in
> >which my home city occupied the nr 1 spot, largely due
> >it's fair to say, to the double barrelled southern twit
> >who ended up as a student in Hull
>
> I'm a single-barrelled scouse git who ended up as a
> student in Hull. Even compared to Liverpool at the ***-end
> of the '70s, Hull _was_ a dump.

In that case, may I refer you to this piece in "The
Thunderer" ;-)

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/section/0,,6621,00.html

--
Simon M.

Sue <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> In message <[email protected]>,
> Andy Dingley <[email protected]> writes
>>
>>>Some people might have heard of the "**** Towns" book in
>>>which my home city occupied the nr 1 spot, largely due
>>>it's fair to say, to the double barrelled southern twit
>>>who ended up as a student in Hull
>>
>>I'm a single-barrelled scouse git who ended up as a
>>student in Hull. Even compared to Liverpool at the ***-end
>>of the '70s, Hull _was_ a dump.
>>
> Did you ever visit Hartlepool?

How dare you!

Hartlepool is great!