Do you train with your Ipod/MP3??

surgtech1956 said:
Do you train with Ipod/MP3, if so, what's on your MP3 player???
Never on the road. I have this thing about getting run over.

I use a Shuffle when MTBing and trail running.

Nope. I do, however, train to the sounds of wind, cars, animules, and etc. in my ears. Amazingly, I can do this for 4, 5, heck, even 8 hours or better without needing a song. I'll even gladly not ride with people that can't manage to pedal without their heads impaled on headphones. However, there might be cycists who normally put on their make up while driving their cars who might be inclined to ride with their music totin' road cycling bretheren and sisters.

I ride and train everywhere with my iPod loaded only with 350 of the best songs I bother to hear. It has really made my training more enjoyable, and I still use it when biking in the streets with traffic also.

Now I look forward to long distance workout as not being so boring as they used to be.

JTE83 said:
Now I look forward to long distance workout as not being so boring as they used to be.
I have never been bored while road cycling, no matter how long I have been in the saddle. I may be wierd, though.

The ability to hear approaching cars is not something I am willing to give up. Bored beats dead every time.

Bro Deal said:
I have never been bored while road cycling, no matter how long I have been in the saddle. I may be wierd, though.

The ability to hear approaching cars is not something I am willing to give up. Bored beats dead every time.

+1. I think if someone's bored then they ought to do something else. And I really enjoy being aware of my surroundings since I like my corpus intact and alive.

Bro Deal said:
Never on the road. I have this thing about getting run over.

I use a Shuffle when MTBing and trail running.
+1. I don't trust cars, I feel better if I can hear them.
The Ipod helps with pace especially on Solo MTB rides also stops me from chatting when I'm in a group. If I'm chatting I'm not riding hard enough.:)

I still feel safe on the road despite using my iPod. I don't have to hear cars because I look behind often to compensate. Just can't ride without my iPod now!

And when on a bike workout path I keep a straight line for passer bys.

I like to estimate the life expectancy of these people when I see them on the road. It's fun, and easy math.

alienator said:
+1. I think if someone's bored then they ought to do something else. And I really enjoy being aware of my surroundings since I like my corpus intact and alive.
I only listen to my ipod when I am on a designated bike path (LSD). If I am riding on highways etc. I tend not to.

But, when I am not listening to my ipod I feel as if I have more of a connection to my bike. It's just something about hearing the gears, the chain, levers etc. all working together for one common goal. I find myself talking to my bike, and my bike talking back ;) . She'll cretique me on my riding style and how I take corners, or how my I need to finish each pedal stroke. I know it sounds weird...:p

I wear one ear bud at low-med volume when I am riding by myself on low traffic routes or in parks. I find that it doesn't restrict my hearing for all practical purposes. The same can't be said when both buds are in. YMMV.

Tried it once or twice and realised I got to my destination without remembering what i'd listened to. Like the safety aspect of being without as well.
I can carry a tune in my head anyway so don't really need the mp3. I reserve it now for the days I have to take public transport.

I think it's illegal to ride with headphones here (north Idaho). I also spend most of my time on narrow farming roads with grain trucks, duelly pickups and dump trucks. Most of the drivers are great at giving you a little space but there are a few who will squease you off the road. Personnally, I can hear the difference in drivers. Are they revving their engines? Do they downshift? Do they have a soup can for a muffler? Do they have an un-synchronized transmission?

Not any more. I tried it for a while, but was uncomfortable not being able to hear what was going on.

Besides, I find that I prefer the symphony of cycling - the whistle of the wind, the whir of the wheels, the clack of a gear change, an occasional pop of a pebble under the tire... I ride as much for mental relaxation as physical exercise.

You wouldn't be bored with Chicago's LSD bike path, but Houston's bike paths are boring. A path near my apt is so boring I get really bored doing a 1hr workout especially without an iPod. And I share the road with cars.

sogood said:
Can you do fast rewind and fast forward in your head? :D
Haven't tried that yet but I can get a loop going of the most annoying parts of songs I really hate.

never when the bike is moving, but on the trainer 100% of the time. if i'm on the trainer early in the morning (on my back deck), i'll use earphones rather than bugging the neighbours, but in the evening i'll pipe the music out to my outdoor speakers.

my 60GB iPod only has 5GB of free space left on it, and depending on mood i could be listening to pretty much anything.

--brett