Dodgy computer readings

PhilD <[email protected]> wrote:

> Pete Biggs wrote:
>> Is yours a wired a cordless computer?

> Yes, and yes. I have separate computers for different bikes. I have
> had problems with both sorts, seemingly by the same cause(s). I admit
> though that wireless types give more spectacular erroneous readings.

I've had a cheap wired VDO for about 12 years. I export the figures
from it into a spreadsheet at least every week, just so I can plot how
my average speed is dropping as I age, so I see the recorded max speed
regularly. I see an implausible figure about once every two years, and
it's never wildly implausible, just something like 40 mph that I'm
pretty sure I didn't do. I put it down to pushing the bike back and
forth over the "click" position while parking. The sensor is a reed
switch activated by a passing magnet which is a form of activation
that has an inherent mechanical hysteresis if of good quality, i.e.,
you can't make it jitter on and off by having the magnet wobbling a
bit in a marginal position. It seems to work reliably without being
adjustment sensitive because I sometimes notice that it's been knocked
badly askew, and yank it back into position. It simply works reliably.

It's the third bike computer I've owned. It's been so vastly much more
reliable and trustworthy than the previous two that if I ever replace it
I'll stick with VDO.

[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

Danny Colyer wrote:
> I reckon it's probably a problem with the sensor, but perhaps not with
> sensor alignment, when I've still got the problem after realigning it
> twice.

Is it as far away from the magnet as possible (while still being close
enough to work)?

~PB

Pete Biggs wrote (of my computer sensor):
> Is it as far away from the magnet as possible (while still being close
> enough to work)?

I think it's the furthest away I've ever had it.

Anyway, this morning I had a reading of 99.8 mph after 1/2 mile, rising
to 250-something about a mile further on, then 292.2 another mile later.

This evening I approached 300 mph within the first few hundred yards of
my journey. I reset the computer, 5 miles later my max reading was a
realistic 24.5 mph. Then, somewhere in the last few hundred yards, it
jumped to 240.5.

Tomorrow I'm going to try another, identical computer. If I have no
silly readings either tomorrow or Monday then I'll conclude that the
problem was with either the computer or the battery.

--
Danny Colyer (my reply address is valid but checked infrequently)
<URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/danny/>

Yesterday I wrote:
> Tomorrow I'm going to try another, identical computer. If I have no
> silly readings either tomorrow or Monday then I'll conclude that the
> problem was with either the computer or the battery.

Bum. I guess I'll be removing my computer mount and examining every
inch of the wiring as best I can over the weekend, then.

I hit 60 mph in the first 1/4 mile of my commute this morning. With
Pete's question about the distance between sensor and magnet in mind, I
then stopped and moved the sensor slightly further from the magnet.
Then I got no reading at all :-(

I stopped a while later and moved it back again, so at least I had some
idea how fast I was going.

--
Danny Colyer (my reply address is valid but checked infrequently)
<URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/danny/>
Subscribe to PlusNet <URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/referral/>

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 18:42:21 +0000, Danny Colyer
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Yesterday I wrote:
>> Tomorrow I'm going to try another, identical computer. If I have no
>> silly readings either tomorrow or Monday then I'll conclude that the
>> problem was with either the computer or the battery.

>Bum. I guess I'll be removing my computer mount and examining every
>inch of the wiring as best I can over the weekend, then.
>
>I hit 60 mph in the first 1/4 mile of my commute this morning. With
>Pete's question about the distance between sensor and magnet in mind, I
>then stopped and moved the sensor slightly further from the magnet.
>Then I got no reading at all :-(
>
>I stopped a while later and moved it back again, so at least I had some
>idea how fast I was going.

<possible bad science>

C+ this month claimed that turning the magnet though 90 degrees would
cause double speed readings as two poles zip past the sensor per rev.
I thought the magnet was aligned "end on" but what do I know?

Tim