Ego in the sport of triathlon

On 7 Aug 2003 21:45:18 +0950, su22 <[email protected]> wrote:

>ever met commerce students? Im at Melb uni, but ive been told it's the same everywhere-- a lot of
>commerce students are arrogant, full of themselves, materialistic, superficial and don't really
>have a tender spot for wider social issues, community welfare, the enviornment, or non-commerce
>students!

As with any group I'm sure the group of commerce students have a significant portion of
genuinely good people. Many times certain groups get reputations as being a certain way adn
many tiems they are unwarrented. However occasionally the opposite is true.

>
>Triathletes don't even come close to commerce students.

I suspect I can find a group of triathletes that are much more "annoying" "arrogant" and
generally mean spirted than another hand picked group of your commerce students. The point
is simply throwing a blanket statement over any group AKA sterotype is rarely true for the
entire group, but generally true for certain prtions of the group.

>
>and why do some people throw up before a race? I threw up breakfast at my first tri,

I'm not sure what the actually physiological effect is, but it's called nerves and is fairly
common. I generally stay away from serious meals before races for that reason.

>and couldnt eat dinner the night before because i was so scared that i'd be completely eaten alive.
>it was only a little brooks fun triathlon (300/10/3!!) but i had put in the training over the
>summer holidays, and was scared i'd be beaten by all the fat chicks and old ladies.
>
>i came 80/300, and it was on my dad's mountain bike that's even too big for him, and i think i
>finished in 49 mins.
>
>but there are a handful of 'triathletes' (who like calling themselves that) who think they're tops.
>when i registering for my third tri, i saw guy i had recognised from an earlier race (with an air
>of coolness and wearing one of those open-water swim t-shirts) who had done the BRW-St George tri
>(400/10/4). i plucked up the courage to say hi and asked him how he went. despite his intimidating
>looks and almost bragging about his effort, i found out i beat his time by a minute-- he finished
>in 53min something, and i did it in 52. he was 6ft+, late 20s, athletic-looking and im just a 19 yr
>old girl. he shut up and didnt like talking to me after that.
>
>i felt bad, but i think he deserves it.

Deserves what?

>and likewise once i found a fat chick beating me on the cycle leg. there are always people better
>than you, and they don't have to look like elites to prove you wrong.

I really try not to ask people time on races. To me the time is simply not important when
comparing races with them. My general question is "Did you have a good race?" This generally
elicits responses of "well I did good here" or " I felt like **** on the bike" etc. Then the
issue of time is usually thought of as how they did against themselves which in my opinion
is much more important then their time against me or anyone else. Any people I am in
actually in competion with know whether they beat me or not so whats the point?

~Matt

>
>
>
>--
>This forum is a gateway to the rec.sport.triathlon usenet newsgroup. Any posts you make in this
>forum will be propogated to usenet.