Everybody should have one

In article <Gemta.7357$%[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> Huw Pritchard wrote:
> > I've bought a small electrical item that makes a buzzing sound, and it's made me extremely
> > happy.
> >
> > I am, of course, referring to an ultrasonic bath. My chain, cassette, an old rear mech and a
> > teaspoon are now sparkling clean, with no tedious farting about with a toothbrush.
> >
> > Yay!
> >
> You know that if you wipe off all the excess lube after lubing the chain hardly picks up anything
> and it's the lube on the inside that matters anyway. My regiment consists of knocking off the big
> stuff with a dry brush, lube as necessary, and replace once a year or when it breaks.

Your supposed to replace chaines once a year?

I'm going on 3 years with this chain, should i get a new one (streach @ link 12 is about 1/16")?

~Travis
--
travis57 at megalink dot net

http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/mtty.mp3

Technician wrote:
>>My regiment consists of knocking off the big stuff with a dry brush, lube as necessary, and
>>replace once a year or when it breaks.
>
> Your supposed to replace chaines once a year?
>
> I'm going on 3 years with this chain, should i get a new one (streach @ link 12 is about 1/16")?
>
> ~Travis

It seems to me that the more frequently I've changed my chain the longer my cassetts and rings have
lasted. That and I get fewer breaks and crisper shifts. It probably depends on how much you ride and
your style too.

I don't know when you "need" to replace your sctuff but here is more than you'll ever need to know
about chains and sprocket wear: http://sheldonbrown.com/chains.html