First underseat kit

Originally Posted by kdelong .

This is my recommendation: http://www.topeak.com/products/Bags/SurvivalToolWedgePack

For a patch kit, you can use pretty much any store kits, but you will get a more dependable and easy to use kit if you visit your local bike shop.

That's a nice looking wedge. I have an old Trek wedge that looks about the same, it even has a similar quick cleat setup. But, it doesn't have the built in tool kit area nor a water proof cover. If I was looking for a new bag.....that survival tool wedge would be at the top of my list.

Originally Posted by BHOFM .

I've always just carried a couple of paper towels folded up small in my bag, but those fast wipes would be much better. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon14.gif

Assuming you have presta valves you might want to get a shrader to presta adapter so you can use the gas station air pumps. If you do use the gas station air pump just
be careful as they can deliver a lot of air quickly and blow off your tire.

Originally Posted by waxbytes .

Assuming you have presta valves you might want to get a shrader to presta adapter so you can use the gas station air pumps. If you do use the gas station air pump just
be careful as they can deliver a lot of air quickly and blow off your tire.

I will be carrying CO2 pump and extra cartridge on a long ride. While cleaning my bike today, my front tire blewout (more like exploded!!). Just like that.... so I am never going anywhere without a tube/tire either.

Kde, if you are still here... do you know if this bag will have enough space for all this stuff? Tire and tube are biggest items.

Went and looked in mine, don't go there often, thank goodness!

A large set of nail clippers. Good for removing items from tires
and clearing the fishing line from the cassette.

An idea passed along by Swampy last year on another thread about saddle bags is to carry a 2 to 3 inch long section of old tire in your saddle bag. Cut the tire to lenght and cut off the bead and stash it in your bag. If you ever get a blow with a tear less than 2 inches you can use this section of tire to line your existing tire. This will hold until you get home and can swap the tire. If you dont feel confident with this method you can carry a tire folded up and taped to your seat tube. I would suggest that if you plan on caryring a tire you invest in a super lightweight foldable racing tire so you can fold it up into the smallest size possible.

Went and looked in mine, don't go there often, thank goodness!

A large set of nail clippers. Good for removing items from tires
and clearing the fishing line from the cassette.

Yep fishing line can really suck. Last year I was out mountaining biking at the Dam when the junior marines were having a drill. I got **** load of fishing line in my drive train that was being used as trip lines. Had to get it out by hand. Never again.

The kite fliers were out in force yesterday, another source of
drive line contamination!

The kite fliers were out in force yesterday, another source of
drive line contamination!

Doesn't sound like fun.

Can it cause nasty falls and equipment damage?

Originally Posted by carsnoceans .

I will be carrying CO2 pump and extra cartridge on a long ride. While cleaning my bike today, my front tire blewout (more like exploded!!). Just like that.... so I am never going anywhere without a tube/tire either.

Kde, if you are still here... do you know if this bag will have enough space for all this stuff? Tire and tube are biggest items.

Cars, my wedge bag is 80 cubic inches and I carry:

Multi-tool
Spare tube
Patch kit
Tire levers
Cell phone
2 folded paper towels
Garage door opener
Co2 Inflater w/ 2 cartridges
Money/Credit Card/ID

That sounds like a lot of stuff, but it really isn't even completely full.

My cell phone and the spare tube are the largest items I carry in the bag, everything else is fairly small.

There are two elastic bands across the bottom that hold the spare tube. They are large enough to hold a folded spare tire if you want to carry one. Besides that, I have enough room inside to carry my cell phone(it has an elastic cell phone strap inside to keep it from bouncing around), two CO2 cartridges, ID, and car keys. If you are pressed for space in your wedge pack, get a jersey with the pockets in back. You can really stuff them if you have other things that you need to carry.

I also carry a small baggie of talcum powder to place in the tire before putting the tube in. It helps the tube slide into place while it is being inflated. If I ever get stopped by the police, I am sure that my talcum powder is going to be tested.

Originally Posted by kdelong .

There are two elastic bands across the bottom that hold the spare tube. They are large enough to hold a folded spare tire if you want to carry one. Besides that, I have enough room inside to carry my cell phone(it has an elastic cell phone strap inside to keep it from bouncing around), two CO2 cartridges, ID, and car keys. If you are pressed for space in your wedge pack, get a jersey with the pockets in back. You can really stuff them if you have other things that you need to carry.

I also carry a small baggie of talcum powder to place in the tire before putting the tube in. It helps the tube slide into place while it is being inflated. If I ever get stopped by the police, I am sure that my talcum powder is going to be tested.
I lol'd.

I don't bother with one of these, its easier for me to carry spares in my jersey pocket.