George Galloway

The thing is, same as you, I just state what I believe. I noticed that myself, Limerickman, DaveMc, Mountain Pro e.t.c. all may differ over little issues but we all tend to lie towards the political left.
With me, I confess it can be a touch confusing because some of my views appear slightly right-wing. For example, sometimes it might appear I'm anti-Moslem when I take a swipe at stuff like Islamic uniforms being worn in schools, but the truth is I'm not anti-Moslem at all. Muhammad Ali is sportsman I admire the most - himself a devout Moslem who's also tolerant of Jews and Catholics.
As for the Tories, what I tried to get across is I think they changed somewhat so I thought voting Tory was a good tactical approach (although I didn't actually vote at the time). The Tories are now fielding more ethnic MP's than any other Party (including the Lib Dems) and I don't think they resemble so much the Party of the past.
Of course, I may be wrong.

darkboong said:
Actually I don't mind Carrera much. I misjudged him badly when I first tripped over his posts. I still think he's horribly deluded about the true nature of the Conservative party, but he has contributed some fair points and he takes a battering with more dignity than I do. :)

Fair play to the lad, but I'm not gonna start going easy on his politics !

There is some hope for Carrera. OTOH Flappy should be volunteering his thick skull as a test subject for the RNEP.

Carrera said:
The Tories are now fielding more ethnic MP's than any other Party (including the Lib Dems) and I don't think they resemble so much the Party of the past.
Of course, I may be wrong.
Our Republican party has done the same to "appear" meek but thier appointments, be them women or minorities are "yes men" & "wolves in sheeps clothing". Just because someone is a certain color, religion, or sex does not make them inherently "a good person". Don't be fooled. There are too many examples to cite on this side of the pond.

The plus side is you have Schwarzennegger and, having followed Arnie over some years, my belief is he's a fairly reasonable, tolerant guy. He represents the more moderate Rebublican movement and has strong Democrat links via family (Maria Shriver).
I think the Tories over here need to get younger, more progressive people into office and they need to abandon their old ideology of worker exploitation, low wages and distrust of Labour unions. I think they lost the election for these reasons.

davidmc said:
Our Republican party has done the same to "appear" meek but thier appointments, be them women or minorities are "yes men" & "wolves in sheeps clothing". Just because someone is a certain color, religion, or sex does not make them inherently "a good person". Don't be fooled. There are too many examples to cite on this side of the pond.

davidmc said:

Rice immediately springs to mind, the comments about how she didn't think Terrorism was worth worrying about when she took office... Sheesh. Colin Powell was a bit hit and miss, he showed signs of wanting to do the right thing, but rarely did, a shrewd Politician. That Gonzalez bloke's ideas on torture must have been inspired by Dr Josef Mengele.

Carrera said:
Sure, you don't know me from Adam and that's cool. But does Lim know Darkboom or Darkboom know Lim? Do you know Dave MC? Does Colorado rider know Zapper? Surely not!
I don't know the answers to those questions.
You may find out who I am, though, if my entrance to the Big Brother House succeeds. Then, you can hear more of me and actually get to see me as well.
who is darkboom? and how do you know who knows who on here??? Once again you post crapola crapera...BTW You must be 13 if you are so caught up in "big brother"....good luck, I hope you make it, I could use a good laugh...

davidmc said:
Just because someone is a certain color, religion, or sex does not make them inherently "a good person". Don't be fooled. There are too many examples to cite on this side of the pond.
Yes...That Al Sharpton fellow is a real winner....

I think you must be 13 years old if you voted Bush into office, to be honest. What happens when you put a toddler at the controls of a jet aircraft? Result: Big crash.
You know, everything we predicted before Bush went to war is being proven true by the day. The latest news from Iraq is another chain of suicide bombings, death and carnage.
I'm the first to confess I'm no genius when it comes to politics but even a child could have predicted Bush's policies were doomed to fail.
What Bush thought would happen was he could simply apply policies carried out in Chile to a Middle Eastern culture he (or you and me for that matter) know nothing about. Bush was naieve enough to believe he would have enough Kurdish and Shia allies in Iraq to justify an ongoing presence in the country. He also believed people would buy this story of bringing democracy and freedom to Iraq or the WMD nonsense that was used as a pretext.
My own prediction is Iraq will be the new Palestine and will break up into total chaos but everybody knows that and it ain't rocket science. What Bush will do when that happens is anybody's guess but I don't envy the next U.S. President who is going to have to try and sort out the mess he made.
The point you made about Fred, well, he claims he knows everyone on the forum. That's some accomplishment, I think. There are several thousand posters on this forum so I think Fred must do a lot of long distance cycling.

zapper said:
who is darkboom? and how do you know who knows who on here??? Once again you post crapola crapera...BTW You must be 13 if you are so caught up in "big brother"....good luck, I hope you make it, I could use a good laugh...

Carrera said:
I think you must be 13 years old if you voted Bush into office, to be honest.
Sorry, couldn't vote if I were 13 son.

The point you made about Fred, well, he claims he knows everyone on the forum. That's some accomplishment, I think. There are several thousand posters on this forum so I think Fred must do a lot of long distance cycling.
Who cares.. carrera?????

Carrera said:
I think you must be 13 years old if you voted Bush into office, to be honest. What happens when you put a toddler at the controls of a jet aircraft? Result: Big crash.
You know, everything we predicted before Bush went to war is being proven true by the day. The latest news from Iraq is another chain of suicide bombings, death and carnage.
I'm the first to confess I'm no genius when it comes to politics but even a child could have predicted Bush's policies were doomed to fail.
What Bush thought would happen was he could simply apply policies carried out in Chile to a Middle Eastern culture he (or you and me for that matter) know nothing about. Bush was naieve enough to believe he would have enough Kurdish and Shia allies in Iraq to justify an ongoing presence in the country. He also believed people would buy this story of bringing democracy and freedom to Iraq or the WMD nonsense that was used as a pretext.
My own prediction is Iraq will be the new Palestine and will break up into total chaos but everybody knows that and it ain't rocket science. What Bush will do when that happens is anybody's guess but I don't envy the next U.S. President who is going to have to try and sort out the mess he made.
Well "put".

Carrera said:
Hey, guess what, I've just remembered that my son was at University at King's in London from 1988-91. Exactly the same years as you claim to have studied, except that you did a 4th year of study(rubbish).
My son was born in 1970, passed his A levels with the grades required, and commenced studying Electronic Engineering in 1988. He did three years and passed with a 2:2. he had a project booked and accepted for a Phd place, but decided to go and work for British Telecom as a electronics project manager. Now what did you say you studied, and where?
I'll let you into a little secret shall I? We PM each other all the time.
Mind your feet boys, more farm slurry is due shortly.

But my course had a foundation year included that I had to pass in order to qualify for the 3 year stint. And I totally flunked biology so my entire course hung in the balance. I received an official letter requiring me to withdraw but some other friends forced me to appeal. In the end I did. Only because I had very high scores in a certain subject, I scraped in but it was a close call.
Somehow I passed biology in the first year of the course proper.
But all in all, uni was a doss. The first year you got housing and Summer benefits so you could just study and party if you wanted to. Maybe it got slightly tougher the second year but I only started to really have money troubles during the last year.
Even so, uni under the Tories was a far better deal than under Labour. I sympathise with students today who face the kind of debts I never had to face.
Moreover, both uni departments have now closed and relocated since nobody wants to do arts (seeing as they have to pay for courses themselves).

FredC said:
Hey, guess what, I've just remembered that my son was at University at King's in London from 1988-91. Exactly the same years as you claim to have studied, except that you did a 4th year of study(rubbish).
My son was born in 1970, passed his A levels with the grades required, and commenced studying Electronic Engineering in 1988. He did three years and passed with a 2:2. he had a project booked and accepted for a Phd place, but decided to go and work for British Telecom as a electronics project manager. Now what did you say you studied, and where?
I'll let you into a little secret shall I? We PM each other all the time.
Mind your feet boys, more farm slurry is due shortly.

Carrera said:
Even so, uni under the Tories was a far better deal than under Labour. I sympathise with students today who face the kind of debts I never had to face.

The problem I have with this Carrera is that I studied at Uni under the Tories. It was the Tories who gutted the grant system, it was the Tories who introduced Student Loans, it was the Tories who removed the Dole during summer lark (IMO fair play *IF* the students were getting grants that amounted to what Doleys got during term time).

So sure, maybe Uni was a doss under the Tories in the 80s, but that all changed by the time I got to Uni in the early 90s (ie: 91-96). Michael Howard was chief Cheerleader for those reforms, so I have personal reasons not to vote for the self-serving ****. I agree that Labour have actually managed to put the last nail in the coffin, and it's worth pointing out that the Labour dominated NUS did very little in the way to stop the Tories in the first place.

I guess what I am trying to say is that Michael Howard and Tony Blair are as bad as each other as far as Higher Education goes. Don't support either party if you are interested in your kids having any kind of Education beyond flipping burgers 101. The Tories do have a chance to make some serious policy changes at the moment, the chances are that they will not though... They have an appalling history, each candidate they have picked over the last 20 years has been more pro-fat-cat and more anti-prole.

"I have personal reasons not to vote for the self-serving ****." :eek:
Somehow I get the impression you don't like Michael Howard? :)
The problem with education (plus the NHS) in this country I believe is mainly down to over-population. This is a small island (not a huge country like the U.S.A. or Australia).
This is why I speak out against immigration so much and why I thought the Tories were quite right to raise the issue (although I thought it was a slight mistake to employ fear tactics).
My own view is is that if immigration is curbed and we also encourage many indigenous Brits (Scots, Welsh, English and Irish) to seek opportunities in Europe, education, pollution, the NHS e.t.c. will improve.
But this isn't what Blair has done. Blair has deliberately encouraged overseas European students to flock to the U.K. and has promised to fund all of this out of the taxpayers budget. Now, this is fine by me but Blair has done zilch, zero, nothing to fight for similar rights for British students in Europe.
Ask yourself how many Brits (including ethnic minorities) wouldn't jump at the chance of having welfare and education rights in, say, Germany, France, Italy e.t.c.?
I personally believe every individual in the U.K. should have the same educational funding and rights as we had under the Tories in the eighties. The reason this situation has changed is the U.K. population has sky-rocketed since the sixties. Seeing as we are so overcrowded, we need to integrate fully into Europe so that many people find it easier to study and work in the country of their choice.
I know you dislike Michael Howard but I dislike Labour so much much I'd vote for Donald Duck if I thought it would get Labour out.

darkboong said:
The problem I have with this Carrera is that I studied at Uni under the Tories. It was the Tories who gutted the grant system, it was the Tories who introduced Student Loans, it was the Tories who removed the Dole during summer lark (IMO fair play *IF* the students were getting grants that amounted to what Doleys got during term time).

So sure, maybe Uni was a doss under the Tories in the 80s, but that all changed by the time I got to Uni in the early 90s (ie: 91-96). Michael Howard was chief Cheerleader for those reforms, so I have personal reasons not to vote for the self-serving ****. I agree that Labour have actually managed to put the last nail in the coffin, and it's worth pointing out that the Labour dominated NUS did very little in the way to stop the Tories in the first place.

I guess what I am trying to say is that Michael Howard and Tony Blair are as bad as each other as far as Higher Education goes. Don't support either party if you are interested in your kids having any kind of Education beyond flipping burgers 101. The Tories do have a chance to make some serious policy changes at the moment, the chances are that they will not though... They have an appalling history, each candidate they have picked over the last 20 years has been more pro-fat-cat and more anti-prole.

Carrera said:
...My own view is is that if immigration is curbed and we also encourage many indigenous Brits (Scots, Welsh, English and Irish) to seek opportunities in Europe, education, pollution, the NHS e.t.c. will improve...

More social engineering...first you sent the criminals to "seek opportunities" in Australia, then you sent the poor to "seek opportunities" in New Zealand. Which "indigenous" sector of your society do you want to get rid of this time? You're on to it Carrera! How are the elite going to get to enjoy the wealth of your Kingdom if all the rabble are still out in the streets making horrible noises.

EoinC said:
More social engineering...first you sent the criminals to "seek opportunities" in Australia, then you sent the poor to "seek opportunities" in New Zealand. Which "indigenous" sector of your society do you want to get rid of this time? You're on to it Carrera! How are the elite going to get to enjoy the wealth of your Kingdom if all the rabble are still out in the streets making horrible noises.
Well let's be fair about it Eoin. He's the only one in his majority.

FredC said:
Well let's be fair about it Eoin. He's the only one in his majority.

Ah, if only it was as easy to dismiss that sentiment. Unfortunately I have met a lot of people saying the stuff Carrera does, and that makes it a genuine problem as distasteful as it maybe. Not one that we should sweep under the carpet, nor should we let racist facist wankers like Kilroy Silk dominate the debate either. Tricky one to handle, the hilter youth media doesn't help (I am looking at you Murdoch, you godforsaken shitbag).

My city is so over-populated you can hardly cross the street on foot and I'm not kidding. There's not a single gap in the road with one car after another, on every corner, junction and parking space.
Last week someone died in a house blaze as the fire-brigade couldn't get to the house for parked cars. Dozens of times I've nearly been knocked off my bike by cars and a schoolgirl was killed by a driver only some weeks ago.
Now, ask yourself what kind of damage that's doing pollution wise, for starters?
So, what am I saying?
It's pretty simple really. Spain, for example, is considerably smaller than the U.K. is and economically speaking it still hasn't quite caught up yet. But living standards are far higher, health service is better, pensions are higher and so is welfare.
Don't be too quick to dismiss the thought that Spain's far larger geographical surface area and its smaller population isn't a factor.
Now, it's important to understand exactly what I'm driving at here before jumping the gun. My point is specifically that if Blair had an ounce of back-bone and common sense, he'd be looking at ways to encourage movement of people away from the U.K. to Europe by making it easier for people to choose that option (the same options as are open to Europeans). This is what Europe is supposed to be about - opportunity and movement.
Instead, Blair is doing the reverse by implementing policy that will make the country far more crowded in years to come. So, I guarantee the future under Blair will be one of crowded cities, falling pensions, pollution, traffic-jams and crime.
The U.K. now has a bigger prison population than ever it had under Thatcher and higher than Germany and France put together (plus the largest prison suicide rate in Europe) This is down to Labour policy, plain and simple, in my book and the Labour obsession of copying U.S. style economics.
This view of mine that the U.K. is hugely over-populated has been conveniently dismissed by Labour as racism - the excuse Labour has always used. Yet, I spoke to dozens of French and Spanish in bars, cafes e.t.c. and they all say the same thing since it is really common sense. An island as small as this one ain't going to match European standards of living with a population that will soon by approaching 70 million! So, we need to think about immigration outwards and not inwards.

EoinC said: