HELP Severe cramp in calves

Robd

Guest
Hi hope someone can advise me of any exercise / diet to
reduce the onset of cramps in my calves after a ride and
ocasionally durring a time trial run the cramps are very
severe leaving me compleatly debilitated with the pain for
about a minute and tender calves for about a day. Im not a
cycling pro , got back into road riding about 6 months ago
and have beeen gradually trying to improve my fitness on a
local TT route here in northamptonshire ,UK. I REALLY enjoy
my cycling and want to find a solution to this. Any
sujestions would be greatly appreaciated.

Rob D

>Hi hope someone can advise me of any exercise / diet to
>reduce the onset of cramps in my calves

Keep your potassium level up (a banana with breakfast in the
mornings?), use a good sport drink, and consider an
electrolyte supplement if you still have cramps.

TopCounsel <[email protected]> wrote in message 20040320101211.00291.00000053@mb-
m29.aol.com
>> Hi hope someone can advise me of any exercise / diet to
>> reduce the onset of cramps in my calves
>
> Keep your potassium level up (a banana with breakfast in
> the mornings?), use a good sport drink, and consider an
> electrolyte supplement if you still have cramps.

Quinine tablets (quinine bisulphate) are sometimes
prescribed for cramps. Drink more G&Ts if you don't want to
consult your local doctor. :)

--

"I'm proud that I live in a country where witnessing two
hours of bloody, barbarous torture in gloating detail is

In article <wPR6c.440$94.406@newsfe1-win>,
[email protected] says...
> Hi hope someone can advise me of any exercise / diet to
> reduce the onset of cramps in my calves after a ride and
> ocasionally durring a time trial run the cramps are very
> severe leaving me compleatly debilitated with the pain for
> about a minute and tender calves for about a day.

It could be simply getting your muscles adapted to the work,
but dehydration and running short of electrolytes can also
contribute to cramps. Make sure you are keeping up on your
water intake (don't over do it, though). I like half-
strength Gatorade to give me some electrolytes back as well.

Dave Kerber Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return
address before replying!

"RobD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:wPR6c.440$94.406@newsfe1-win...
> Hi hope someone can advise me of any exercise / diet to
> reduce the onset of cramps in my calves after a ride and
> ocasionally durring a time trial run the cramps are very
> severe leaving me compleatly debilitated with the pain for
> about a minute and tender calves for about a day. Im not a
> cycling pro , got back into road riding about 6 months ago
> and have beeen gradually trying to improve my fitness on a
> local TT route here in northamptonshire ,UK. I REALLY
> enjoy my cycling and want to find a solution to this. Any
> sujestions would be greatly appreaciated.

Cramps (if you're healthy) are a symptom of muscular
fatigue. Dehydration may slightly predispose you, but it has
to be significant. Potassium/calcium/sodium levels don't
have much effect unless they're way off (unlikely). There is
no magic elixir you can drink or eat (bananas, sports drink,
quinine, etc.). Sufficient training is the only real cure.

When your major muscles get exhausted, there's a tendency to
try to offload them to smaller muscles. It's these smaller
muscles that often cramp when they get overloaded. Calf
muscles are typical in this regard, since you can add thrust
with foot extension when your leg extensors are dying. If
calf muscles are the only ones that cramp, it may be that
your stroke is less than optimal in that you're putting too
much foot into it. Try moving your cleats back and/or
reducing ankle flexing & see if the cramps let up.

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 06:47:53 -0800 in rec.bicycles.misc, "RobD"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi hope someone can advise me of any exercise / diet to
> reduce the onset of cramps in my calves after a ride and
> ocasionally durring a time trial run the cramps are very
> severe leaving me compleatly debilitated with the pain for
> about a minute and tender calves for about a day.

stretches, stretches, stretches. all day during free
moments. you want to do calf and hamstring stretches, and
glute stretches for your lower back.

you especially need to stretch your achilles tendons often.
you can even do this at your desk by sitting on the edge of
your chair, putting your feet flat on the floor and keeping
the heels flat as you slowly move the chair forward a few
inches and hold your heels on the floor for 30-45 seconds,
then release.

massage helps to relax tightened muscles. if you're
exercising every day and staying very tight, you might want
to take break days to let them have some deep recovery time,
or trade off days between cycling and some other exercise
that uses some different muscles, like hiking or running.
photos of the basic stretches are at
http://www.coolrunning.com.au/expert/1997c003.shtml

you don't say what you're drinking on these rides. if you
are only drinking water, you should consider a sports drink
so that your electrolytes get replaced.

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 06:47:53 -0800, "RobD" <[email protected]> wrote in
message <wPR6c.440$94.406@newsfe1-win>:

>Hi hope someone can advise me of any exercise / diet to
>reduce the onset of cramps in my calves after a ride and
>ocasionally durring a time trial run the cramps are very
>severe leaving me compleatly debilitated with the pain for
>about a minute and tender calves for about a day.

I get that too :-(

I'm told it's due to:

o over-stressing the muscles o cold o possible potassium
deficiency o possible salt deficiency o possible
insufficient water intake.

So far I have found that wearing tights or legwarmers
improves it, riding on Look cleats instead of Spuds helps,
keeping the cadence below 100 and above 85 helps, and eating
properly (carbo intake) helps a lot.

The worst is when I get cramp in my thighs. My thigh muscles
are pretty big, as a daily cyclist who likes to ride hard.

--
Guy
===

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
Washington University

"RobD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Hi hope someone can advise me of any exercise / diet to
> reduce the onset
of
> cramps in my calves after a ride and ocasionally durring a
> time trial run the cramps are very severe leaving me
> compleatly debilitated with the pain for about a minute
> and tender calves for about a day. Im not a cycling pro ,
> got back into road riding about 6 months ago and
have
> beeen gradually trying to improve my fitness on a local TT
> route here in northamptonshire ,UK. I REALLY enjoy my
> cycling and want to find a solution to this. Any
> sujestions would be greatly appreaciated.

Well, I thought that everyone would say it but I don't see
it anywhere - Try moving your cleats back a little futher.
When you ride too much weight is on your toes and you are
holding your body up with your calf muscles.

When they are properly adjusted you will be able to stand
and feel only a little strain on your calves.