Hernia Repair

Tiger_Eye

Jun 26, 2007
I live in the UK

This is my 5th hernia and this time it is been done by keyhole, I have had this hernia for about 10 years. I been given a date to go into hospital, I will be going in on the 23, have it done on the Christmas Eve either home on Christmas Day or boxing Day. I would have normal been in & out same day, but I live on my own.

Here is the question:

I am think of putting it off until April next year, because I put on some weight, due to all the Christmas dinners I have had and I haven't been able to get out on the bike, because of the weather. April is the earliest I am available.

I would like your thoughts on this!

:confused:

Are you having it done on the NHS or privately? I'm assuming you wouldn't have the same flexibility on the NHS with regards to moving dates.

So I guess the questions are ....
Have you already confirmed there is a date available in April?
AND
How keen are you to get this hernia repaired?

If, as you say, you've lived with it for 10 years and it is not an urgent procedure, then I guess you could leave it until it is more convenient for you. (spending the Christmas period recovering from surgery would certainly not be high on my list unless it was a life-saving operation) On the other hand, the weather at this time of year is not exactly conducive to cycling, so it's a better time to spend off the bike recovering - that way you can get right into it as the weather improves.

matagi said:
Are you having it done on the NHS or privately? I'm assuming you wouldn't have the same flexibility on the NHS with regards to moving dates.

So I guess the questions are ....
Have you already confirmed there is a date available in April?
AND
How keen are you to get this hernia repaired?

If, as you say, you've lived with it for 10 years and it is not an urgent procedure, then I guess you could leave it until it is more convenient for you. (spending the Christmas period recovering from surgery would certainly not be high on my list unless it was a life-saving operation) On the other hand, the weather at this time of year is not exactly conducive to cycling, so it's a better time to spend off the bike recovering - that way you can get right into it as the weather improves.
I am having it done on the NHS, they first sent me date in October, I change it to backend of November, but cancelled it and they off me, this date which was great at the time, now am not so sure.

Based on the fact that you have already rescheduled this procedure at least once, it sounds to me like you might be having second thoughts about the actual surgery and are looking for an excuse not to have it. (this is an observation by the way, not a criticism)

I would suggest you sit down and think about what it is about the surgery that is worrying you and then speak with your GP and the surgeon if possible and get them to address any concerns/questions you might have.

They cancelled the November date, not me! Now days they do work dates around you, so it fits in with you, putting you first.

I am not having second thoughts, this is 5th hernia; I had 2 hernias when I was child on the right side at 3 & 4 years old. This is 3rd on left side in the same spot, I had it repair at 22 & 26 years old and now I am 42. When I had it repair at 22 it was repaired by stitching and I was in pain for over year, because I was given no pain kills at all. But when I had it repair at 26 it was repaired by staples and I was in and out the same day and I was given pain kills. Yes, I do remember the pain and discomfort, even from 3 & 4 years old.

The only worry I have that they might not be able to repair it by keyhole, because of the scar tissue then they would have to going for open surgery, which takes longer to recover from and I would have 4 scars.

I had my 5th hernia repaired by keyhole last Wednesday. There are two main types of keyhole which are: Transabdominal preperitoneal (TAPP) and Totally extraperitoneal (TEP).

I had the hernia repaired with mesh using the TEP technique. I have 4 clips (staples) from by belly button downwards and I was given pain-kills to take which I did.

Today (8 days after surgery) I did just over 28 mile on the bike with the clips still in and had no problems at all.

:)