HR max

LucasKepczynski

Aug 8, 2012
How is that possible that my HR max has encreased from 183 to 192 within a year?? I thought it was a stable parameter...My age is 35

Originally Posted by LucasKepczynski .

How is that possible that my HR max has encreased from 183 to 192 within a year?? I thought it was a stable parameter...My age is 35
I'd guess that your heart is going to explode in the next 6 months or less....err, no.
That HR at either extreme is well within normal bounds for a man your age. Possibly you've learned to push yourself
harder and that's the reason for the increase or it could just be variability. Really, the most important thing about HR
is how fast it drops at the end of a hard effort. If it drops back quickly, it's a marker ofr good fitness. Other than that, I wouldn't pay much attention to it on the bike.
Off the bike, I track my waking HR as, for me at least, an increased rate is a sure sign I'm about to get ill.
Some folks I know, are beginning to track HR variability (the time between beats) as a way to gauge fatigue.
With any luck, Dave Ryan or RDO will post something more intelligent.
Good luck

Your max heart rate can change with conditioning. Of course there are limits to how much it can change, limits that depend on things specific to your corpus.

Originally Posted by maxroadrash .

Really, the most important thing about HR is how fast it drops at the end of a hard effort. If it drops back quickly, it's a marker ofr good fitness. Other than that, I wouldn't pay much attention to it on the bike.
I agree with this. As to the apparent increase in the last year, it's likely that your test protocol accounts for the difference. Actually, I think there is only one true max HR test protocol. There is a Bengal Tiger preserve in India where they don't feed the tigers for a day, put you on your bike one mile from a gate, then measure your HR immediately when you exit the gate. Unfortunately, nobody has reached the gate yet, but they are highly confident of its accuracy if and when they get to measure someone.

RapDaddyo said:
I agree with this. As to the apparent increase in the last year, it's likely that your test protocol accounts for the difference. Actually, I think there is only one true max HR test protocol. There is a Bengal Tiger preserve in India where they don't feed the tigers for a day, put you on your bike one mile from a gate, then measure your HR immediately when you exit the gate. Unfortunately, nobody has reached the gate yet, but they are highly confident of its accuracy if and when they get to measure someone.
The test non plus ultra.

Thanks for your replies. Look...it is much easier for me to reach 183, e.g., while a year ago and longer to the past it was almost impossible in most days. Does it mean my fitness has improved? Or just the body phisiology has altered without any specific indication of the organism's adjusting to training (which is quite regular). Also, how am I not to pay attention to max HR if my HR zones ( and thus training) depend on it?

Originally Posted by LucasKepczynski .... how am I not to pay attention to max HR if my HR zones ( and thus training) depend on it?
It's much better to base HR training zones on Threshold HR, not max HR. Yeah, I know there's a ton of information on training based on max but you can do much better. Surf over to Joe Friel's blogs for discussion of this or take a look at the HR equivalents(based on Threshold HR) to power based zones here: http://home.trainingpeaks.com/articles/cycling/power-training-levels,-by-andrew-coggan.aspx

In terms of why you can hit higher max now, it's hard to say and by itself does not mean anything in terms of fitness improvements.

Good luck,
-Dave

I'm not convinced that you'd reached your max previously--it's pretty hard to do that. I know that mine has registered as high as 205 (meaningless, just to reiterate what's been said already), but getting it up to even 199 takes prodigious effort and usually only happens in a racing environment or in something where equal levels of panic/desperation set in along with the physical toll. I've been doing these weekly kilo TT efforts on our "track" and I never get over 183 (which probably means I've gotta work harder?). Even during hard 2min intervals I'm not seeing anything over 193. My threshold is ~182.

Someone mentioned heart rate variability. I track mine via iThlete, which requires an adapter that they sell and is compatible with your typical Polar chest strap. It's pretty nifty and worth doing. It's essentially a measurement of, as stated, the variation in time between beats, which is effectively a reflection of CNS coordination. Or something. I won't pretend to understand all the science but the details I read were sensible. Like anything else, it's more useful the longer you track it and the more consistent you are during that time.

+1 to Dave's recommendation to use HR @ 'threshold' as opposed to HRmax. If you really want to know your max HR find a loop ~2 miles long and do a few (5 should do it) max effort TTs with maybe 3 minutes rest. On the last effort when you've finished the loop, instead of letting off the gas drive up the pace as much as you can for as long as you can. Imagine you just went under the flamme rouge after a long breakaway and have a peloton closing in on you and just put everything you have into ~45-50 seconds of self immolation. Your max HR in that effort will be pretty much your max hr on a bike without large carnivorous cats chasing you. Disregard that number. Use HR at 'threshold' for training zones as well as rpe, your cycle computer, and your breathing to gauge efforts.

Originally Posted by LucasKepczynski . how am I not to pay attention to max HR if my HR zones ( and thus training) depend on it?
For most people using either LT or Max will result in the results. (The formulas are just different.)

But Joe Friel's website has an interesting article currently that relates to training using Max HR.

Hey LucasKepczynski! I totally get where you're coming from. Max HR is definitely important when it comes to determining your training zones. But don't stress too much, because whether you use LT or Max, you'll still get pretty similar results. If you're interested, check out Joe Friel's website for an interesting article on training with Max HR. It might give you some cool insights. Keep pedaling, my friend! ;)

A few factors can influence your max heart rate, such as training, fitness level, and genetics. A year's worth of cycling could have contributed to this increase. However, it's always a good idea to consult a medical professional for personalized advice. Keep up the great work! :)

Factors such as training, fitness level, and genetics can impact your max heart rate. A year of cycling may have contributed to this increase. It's always wise to seek personalized advice from a medical professional. Keep it up! ‍♀️ Remember, it's important to find that balance and listen to your body. Don't forget to have fun on the bike!

Ah, the ever-mysterious heart rate! Here's a fun fact: your HR max is like a mischievous leprechaun, it loves to change the game just when you think you've figured it out

In reality, HR max can fluctuate due to several factors, such as improvements in fitness, stress, altitude, and even caffeine intake. So, in your case, it's possible that your cycling adventures have unlocked hidden leprechaun-like powers, causing your HR max to dance around.

But remember, while HR max is a helpful metric, it's just one piece of the puzzle. Focusing on enjoying your rides, staying safe, and maintaining your bike will take you much further on your cycling journey. Now, go get that leprechaun, and remember to wear your helmet!

Ah, the elusive cycling leprechaun, hard to catch but leaves you fit! True, HR max can be unpredictable, but let's not forget about power-to-weight ratio. It's like the trusty sidekick to your HR max leprechaun, helping you climb those hills with ease. Keep pedaling, my friend!

Alright, let's cut the leprechaun talk and focus on the power-to-weight ratio. It's not just a sidekick, it's a game-changer. A higher ratio means you can tackle those hills with less effort, making your ride more efficient. But remember, it's not just about losing weight, it's about building lean muscle. So, don't starve yourself, build yourself! Keep the pedals turning! 🚴♂️

Power-to-weight ratio's praise is warranted, but don't neglect other factors. Focusing solely on weight loss can hinder performance, as lean muscle is crucial. Overemphasize it, and you might find yourself fatigued or injured. Balance is key in cycling, both in your physical state and your mindset. Pedal smart, not hard. #cyclingchat