I noticed a lot more commuter bikers!

sportsmed said:
I am planning to do 2 sessions of training i.e. 15km at 6am and another 15 km in the morning. I will do this twice a week and gradually increase it to 20km each to mimic my ride to work!
Once you are comfortable on those distances for two rides a day you will easily handle the 20km one way of your commute. Keep us posted!

I would bike to school, but class is only about 2 blocks from my dorm.

threaded said:
Public transport is way cheaper, (considering the replacement cost as parts wear out on the bikes,) but is generally not as fast. :D
It's quicker than a subway train, but an express train wins. Of course, the bike has a reserved seat.

Almost got knocked off my bike by a crazy driver who turned left suddenly! Should I get an air-horn to warn these guys?

JTE83 said:
I visited Chicago this week, after being in Houston more than a year. The Village thrift store I go to - tons more bikes parked outside. Also noticed a lot more commuter bikers - because gas prices are so high in Chicago! 6-30-08 87 is $4.39 / gal! That's more expensive than premium in Houston!

Have you noticed a lot more commuter bikers in your city because of high gas prices?
Quite a few more in Oxford, UK. But, commuting is already quite popular.

tejvan said:
Quite a few more in Oxford, UK. But, commuting is already quite popular.
More in NYC. All riding on the wrong side of the road, straight through red lights, with headphones on, and no helmets...

I miss Oxfordshire. Used to live in Abingdon....

sportsmed said:
Almost got knocked off my bike by a crazy driver who turned left suddenly! Should I get an air-horn to warn these guys?
No. Just be careful of drivers (they will ALWAYS not see you and do something stupid that will endanger you).

sportsmed said:
How do you deal with air pollution? I am trying to get more people to cycle but they say that the air in the city gets to them. http://cyclingprofessionals.blogspot.com

With a little investigation, it's usually possible to find a route for the commute that has significantly lower traffic than the main roads. Apparently, those in the know say that makes a significant difference in the pollutants you inhale. As a bonus, the less traveled routes are bound to be more relaxing and maybe more aesthetically pleasing. Also riding earlier in the morning helps as does riding later in the evening (if work schedules allow).

Here in Tucson, our air quality is very high, so health concerns re: pollution aren't really there. The only time there seems to be an issue is when you're behind a POS car or truck that belches black smoke.

If I lived in Beijing, I'd consider buying and using an SCBA:

lg_airpak75.jpg

Powerful Pete said:
True. Although it must be said most people have no idea what riding entails or what potential their body has - my coworkers consider me an epic rider since they learned I have a 20 minute ride to work... :rolleyes:

Have to say, I have been commuting for what, three weeks? I love it. Granted, I have a short distance to work (about 7.5 km one way). But I get into work with a sick grin.

And I consider the commute home as my warm-up before the afternoon ride. :D

And the man at the gas station has forgotten my name. :D

And I sold my second car. I equate that to approximately 1200 Euro savings a year, considering insurance, maintenance and gas. :D:D

So, true... I get looks of amazement when people find out I cycle 7km to work. They almost fall over when the find out I do 100km -/+ on the weekend.

I've cycled all my life but only started commuting to work by bike in May. LUV IT!

Powerful Pete said:
I just deal with it. How do they justify the fact that they are able to deal with the air pollution in all other daily activities?

Agreed... I was concerned with the pollution at first. But, I used to sit in my car in a traffic jam, every morning, for 30-40 minutes breathing pollution. It takes me 16 minutes by bike...

::dom:: said:
So, true... I get looks of amazement when people find out I cycle 7km to work. They almost fall over when the find out I do 100km -/+ on the weekend.

I've cycled all my life but only started commuting to work by bike in May. LUV IT!

Let's face it: for most people the only exercise they get is when they get up to get more chips and dip during a commercial or when they're playing on their Wii. For those that do actual "exercise", there's a huge percentage that only do it in a gym, where there are machines with specific directions for use, "personal trainers", as well as tee de rigeur televisions and internet equipped stair steppers.

OrangePatriot said:
More in NYC. All riding on the wrong side of the road, straight through red lights, with headphones on, and no helmets...

I miss Oxfordshire. Used to live in Abingdon....

Me too... lived in the Old Mill Cottage in Osney... great little pub called The Kyte just up the road.

We've got more here in St. Louis too... Gas is expensive and the tempurature has been good... Ride on!

Rode to work for the first time 20km each way. Took me 50 minutes but it was an easy ride. It's not as complicated as I thought but I was quite careful at the roundabouts and turning in case any vehicles crash into me. But the wife is mad at me for trying!?

I gave a description of the ride at my blog Cycling Professionals

Sportsmed, good on you. As you can see, it is not that difficult and you will enjoy it!

And second, we are all jealous that you are where you are... very exotic and enjoyable (I have fond memories of my Asian travel and living experiences - mainly Thailand, a bit of Laos and Malaysia thrown in).