Increasing gear range on old road bike

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cheg

I have an 1974 Raleigh International that works great but I'm considering going on a trip next
summer that involves about 10000 ft. of climbing and descending in 150 miles. I don't think I can
hack it with the gears I have now. It has 52/42 front and 13/17/19/22/25 in the rear, all old Campy
NR. I'm looking for low cost ways of increasing the gear range. I really don't want to buy another
bike, but if this costs too much I'll have to consider it. Should I be looking at a triple? Larger
rear cogs? Any suggestions?

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 17:20:51 GMT, "cheg" <[email protected]> may have said:

>I have an 1974 Raleigh International that works great but I'm considering going on a trip next
>summer that involves about 10000 ft. of climbing and descending in 150 miles. I don't think I can
>hack it with the gears I have now. It has 52/42 front and 13/17/19/22/25 in the rear, all old Campy
>NR. I'm looking for low cost ways of increasing the gear range. I really don't want to buy another
>bike, but if this costs too much I'll have to consider it. Should I be looking at a triple? Larger
>rear cogs? Any suggestions?

Hanging a used triple crank and front der on it is probably the easy fix if the rear der has enough
take-up capability, which it may not. If it doesn't, then swapping the rear der for a long-cage and
upgrading the freewheel to a megarange seems to be the prudent way out. Big-step 5-speed freewheels
exist. You might also take this as an opportunity to step up to a 6 or 7 speed freewheel, although
you'll probably need a longer axle shaft and a couple of spacers for 7.

That's just my opinion, influencd by the presence of a couple of extra triple cranksets on
the shelf...

--
My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail. Yes, I have a killfile. If I
don't respond to something, it's also possible that I'm busy. Words processed in a facility that
contains nuts.

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 17:20:51 GMT, "cheg" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I have an 1974 Raleigh International that works great but I'm considering going on a trip next
>summer that involves about 10000 ft. of climbing and descending in 150 miles. I don't think I can
>hack it with the gears I have now. It has 52/42 front and 13/17/19/22/25 in the rear, all old Campy
>NR. I'm looking for low cost ways of increasing the gear range. I really don't want to buy another
>bike, but if this costs too much I'll have to consider it. Should I be looking at a triple? Larger
>

I had the same thing with a mid-70's Raleigh Grand Prix after moving to an area with more hills.
Solved it with a triple on the front. Got a long cage rear derailleur (Suntour Accushift) to
accomodate the extra range and a front derailleur that could handle a triple. It worked fine and the
parts now live on a newer frame.

Check ebay for parts. I probably spent too much for the upgrade and would buy used parts if I
did it again.

Good luck, Jim

"cheg" wrote:
> I have an 1974 Raleigh International that works great but I'm considering going on a trip next
> summer that involves about 10000 ft. of climbing and descending in 150 miles. I don't think I can
> hack it with the gears I have now. It has 52/42 front and 13/17/19/22/25 in the rear, all old
> Campy NR. I'm looking for low cost ways of increasing the gear range. I really don't want to buy
> another bike, but if this costs too much I'll have to consider it. Should I be looking at a
> triple? Larger rear cogs? Any suggestions?

Easiest and cheapest way is to put on a big freewheel. Back in the '80s I toured Colorado with a
52/42 and a 15-34 (5-speed) freewheel in the back. I used a Sun Tour VGT derailleur, but today you
could use a MTB rear der. Adding a triple would be a more elegant approach.

Art Harris

"Jim, N2VX" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 17:20:51 GMT, "cheg" <[email protected]>
wrote:
>
> >I have an 1974 Raleigh International that works great but I'm considering going on a trip next
> >summer that involves about 10000
ft.
> >of climbing and descending in 150 miles. I don't think I can hack
it
> >with the gears I have now. It has 52/42 front and 13/17/19/22/25
in
> >the rear, all old Campy NR. I'm looking for low cost ways of increasing the gear range. I really
> >don't want to buy another
bike,
> >but if this costs too much I'll have to consider it. Should I be looking at a triple? Larger rear
> >cogs? Any suggestions?
> >
>
> I had the same thing with a mid-70's Raleigh Grand Prix after
moving
> to an area with more hills. Solved it with a triple on the front. Got a long cage rear derailleur
> (Suntour Accushift) to accomodate
the
> extra range and a front derailleur that could handle a triple. It worked fine and the parts now
> live on a newer frame.
>
> Check ebay for parts. I probably spent too much for the upgrade
and
> would buy used parts if I did it again.
>
> Good luck, Jim

Sounds good. It happens that I just converted another bike to Nexus 7 hub shift and I have a long
cage Suntour Accushift 2000 available. What kind of crank did you use?

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 17:20:51 GMT, "cheg" <[email protected]> wrote:

>

I just so happen to have a Sugino, new, early AT right crankarm x 170. I'd sell it to you for $20
and you can use if for your trip. Should you want 48/34 chainrings to go with the right arm, I'd do
the whole thing for $60. You'd use your existing right arm. The AT arm is new but the only downside
is that is annodized blue. I'm told that is takes the same spindle as your Nuevo Record.

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 20:45:35 GMT, "cheg" <[email protected]> wrote:

>
>"Jim, N2VX" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 17:20:51 GMT, "cheg" <[email protected]>
>wrote:
>>
>> >I have an 1974 Raleigh International that works great but I'm considering going on a trip next
>> >summer that involves about 10000
>ft.
>> >of climbing and descending in 150 miles. I don't think I can hack
>it
>> >with the gears I have now. It has 52/42 front and 13/17/19/22/25
>in
>> >the rear, all old Campy NR. I'm looking for low cost ways of increasing the gear range. I really
>> >don't want to buy another
>bike,
>> >but if this costs too much I'll have to consider it. Should I be looking at a triple? Larger
>> >rear cogs? Any suggestions?
>> >
>>
>> I had the same thing with a mid-70's Raleigh Grand Prix after
>moving
>> to an area with more hills. Solved it with a triple on the front. Got a long cage rear derailleur
>> (Suntour Accushift) to accomodate
>the
>> extra range and a front derailleur that could handle a triple. It worked fine and the parts now
>> live on a newer frame.
>>
>> Check ebay for parts. I probably spent too much for the upgrade
>and
>> would buy used parts if I did it again.
>>
>> Good luck, Jim
>
>Sounds good. It happens that I just converted another bike to Nexus 7 hub shift and I have a long
>cage Suntour Accushift 2000 available. What kind of crank did you use?
>

It was a Stronglight crank from the LBS.

Jim

"cheg" <[email protected]> writes:

>hack it with the gears I have now.

The front derailleur can handle a triple (at least 36-54, which is what's on my paramount p-15.)
one way to do this is to get a triplizer 144 bcd ring from TA (www.harriscyclery.com, or peter
white cycles.)

As for the rear derailleur, it's best to get a low-cost modern campy one like centaur or whatnot.
you'll need a granny freewheel on the back - maybe a 13-34.

- Don Gillies San Diego, CA

"cheg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:Tfttb.7055$Dw6.48939@attbi_s02...
> I have an 1974 Raleigh International that works great but I'm considering going on a trip next
> summer that involves about 10000
ft.
> of climbing and descending in 150 miles. I don't think I can hack
it
> with the gears I have now. It has 52/42 front and 13/17/19/22/25 in the rear, all old Campy NR.
> I'm looking for low cost ways of increasing the gear range. I really don't want to buy another
> bike, but if this costs too much I'll have to consider it. Should I be looking at a triple? Larger
> rear cogs? Any suggestions?
>
>

Thanks to all who replied. I'm going to mount my spare Suntour Accushift alpha-2000 long cage and
try swaping the NR crank for a Suguino AT 48/36/26 triple from another old bike I have. That should
do the trick if the crank fits. If I go to a 12 toooth small cog in the back I'll still have the
same top gear. Thanks again.

> Thanks to all who replied. I'm going to mount my spare Suntour Accushift alpha-2000 long cage and
> try swaping the NR crank for a Suguino AT 48/36/26 triple from another old bike I have. That
> should do the trick if the crank fits. If I go to a 12 toooth small cog in the back I'll still
> have the same top gear. Thanks again.

Sounds like a plan, but if I'm not mistaken, the square taper on the crank spindle is different for
Campy NR compared to Sugino. Also, you will want to get the right length spindle to get the right
chainline. You will want to swap the bottom bracket from the old bike, too. Or your LBS should have
an inexpensive Shimano or other brand of bottom bracket that will fit your Sugino crank.

cheg-<< I don't think I can hack it with the gears I have now. It has 52/42 front and 13/17/19/22/25
in the rear, all old Campy NR. I'm looking for low cost ways of increasing the gear range. I really
don't want to buy another bike, but if this costs too much I'll have to consider it. Should I be
looking at a triple? >><BR><BR>

Triple crank, BB(maybe not), front der and perhaps long cage rear der-Even a triple with say gearing
like 50/40/30-

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

[email protected] (Donald Gillies) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>
> As for the rear derailleur, it's best to get a low-cost modern campy one like centaur or
> whatnot. ..>

How much is low cost? You mean low cost when compared to a $240 Record rear?

"cheg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<MxCtb.10906$Dw6.67593@attbi_s02>...

>
> Thanks to all who replied. I'm going to mount my spare Suntour Accushift alpha-2000 long cage and
> try swaping the NR crank for a Suguino AT 48/36/26 triple from another old bike I have. That
> should do the trick if the crank fits. If I go to a 12 toooth small cog in the back I'll still
> have the same top gear. Thanks again.

Hi, if you are going to change the freewheel, why not take it one step further and go to a 6-speed.
I'm not sure of what the details are, but my LBS was able to put one on my same era bike. For an
idea of what is available, see: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/freewheels.html#6u Be sure to
scroll down. It may be cheaper to spread the frame to 126mm and go with a Shimano. That is what my
shop did. Life is Good! Jeff

cheg wrote:
> summer that involves about 10000 ft. of climbing and descending in 150 miles. I don't think I can
> hack it with the gears I have now. It has 52/42 front and 13/17/19/22/25 in the rear, all old
> Campy NR. I'm looking for low cost ways of increasing the gear range. I really don't want to buy
> another bike, but if this costs too much I'll have to consider it. Should I be looking at a
> triple? Larger rear cogs? Any suggestions?

A triple would be nice but you'll most likley have to change your pretty close-range changers. The
rear _might_ be useful if you watch the cross gears carefully to avoid sag. The front _might_ be
made to work if your standards are low. Sugino's XD crank is $69.95 plus a BB and probably modern
changers $29.95 and up rear, $14.95 and up front - all are friction compatible. Campagnolo wide
range changers are pretty cheap at $58 and $35 to start.

Or change the freewheel from a five to a narrow six (or respace slightly to a narrow seven) with a
34t low gear and add a modern Campagnolo long rear changer - about $58 plus chain and freewheel.

Theer are other combinations to achieve a useful low gear. You should have done it years ago!

Your International frame is very well made and better suited to a long tour than many modern
"touring" bikes. For a moderate amount of upgrade expense you can get around the limitations which
constrained the designer in 1974 and get some reasonable gearing! If it fits you, I would invest in
a wide range touring gear train and keep it.
--
Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April, 1971

>>Thanks to all who replied. I'm going to mount my spare Suntour Accushift alpha-2000 long cage and
>>try swaping the NR crank for a Suguino AT 48/36/26 triple from another old bike I have. That
>>should do the trick if the crank fits. If I go to a 12 toooth small cog in the back I'll still
>>have the same top gear. Thanks again.

Bob Shanteau wrote:
> Sounds like a plan, but if I'm not mistaken, the square taper on the crank spindle is
> different for Campy NR compared to Sugino. Also, you will want to get the right length spindle
> to get the right chainline. You will want to swap the bottom bracket from the old bike, too.
> Or your LBS should have an inexpensive Shimano or other brand of bottom bracket that will fit
> your Sugino crank.

The classic era Sugino AT crank came with a Sugino MT-68 spindle when triple and their MW-68
spindle when double. The latter is identical to the classic Campagnolo spindle in the 1046a Nuovo
Record BB set.

There's no current Shimano product that's suitable, although the first New Dura Ace BB, #7400, is
exactly correct to a Sugino AT double crank.
--
Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Status
Not open for further replies.