Increasing Pedal To Crank Arm Distance

Robert Nurse

Guest
Hi All,

I got a new bike a couple of months ago and I'm enjoying it. The
pedals I got for it are Look CX6's which allow you to adjust the
distance between the pedal and the crank arm. They call it Q-Factor.
Anyway, I was wondering if there was some sort of add-on that could
increase this distance even further. I know you wouldn't want to do
this too much. But, I'm only talking an additional 5mm to 10mm. When
I had mine adjusted to the maximum 10mm, it made a world of difference
in comfort. But I need more on my right side.

Thanks.

Robert Nurse wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I got a new bike a couple of months ago and I'm enjoying it. The
> pedals I got for it are Look CX6's which allow you to adjust the
> distance between the pedal and the crank arm. They call it Q-Factor.
> Anyway, I was wondering if there was some sort of add-on that could
> increase this distance even further. I know you wouldn't want to do
> this too much. But, I'm only talking an additional 5mm to 10mm. When
> I had mine adjusted to the maximum 10mm, it made a world of difference
> in comfort. But I need more on my right side.

Google "Knee savers".

Bill "take whatever Q I'm given and like it" S.

"Robert Nurse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi All,
>
> I got a new bike a couple of months ago and I'm enjoying it. The
> pedals I got for it are Look CX6's which allow you to adjust the
> distance between the pedal and the crank arm. They call it Q-Factor.
> Anyway, I was wondering if there was some sort of add-on that could
> increase this distance even further. I know you wouldn't want to do
> this too much. But, I'm only talking an additional 5mm to 10mm. When
> I had mine adjusted to the maximum 10mm, it made a world of difference
> in comfort. But I need more on my right side.

You could use a product called knee savers:

http://www.bikescor.com/product/knee.htm

but the minimum extension is 20mm. Some on this group question the safety
of this strategy, as crank arms may not be designed to handle the increased
torque applied by such a long spindle.

If you're not wedded to the Looks, you could consider Speedplays. They make
both the X-Series (road) and the Frogs (walkable) in custom spindle
lengths - +1/8", +1/4", and +1/2". You can order mixed sets as well.

Kyle

I paid a visit to my favorite bike shop (College Park Bicycles) and
this is just what they recommended.