=?iso-8859-1?q?Milit=E4rcykel_-_the_Swedish_army_bicycle?=

On Fri, 7 Apr 2006 11:12:37 +0100, Dave Larrington
<[email protected]> wrote:
>In article <[email protected]>, Jasper Janssen
>([email protected]) wrote:

>> Lelystad is on land that was formerly already pretty flat seabottom, with
>> a few small islands (these days, they're hills). I don't know which
>> particular photo you're referring to, though.

>It showed:
>
>o a large digger
>o mud as far as the camera could see
>o in the foreground, a small wooden post, with a board nailed to, and
>writ upon the latter the word "Lelystad"

Ah. That sounds like normal in the early days of Flevoland. The digger was
probably there to lay down some sand bodies for the houses to sit on
(well, the houses'd sit on poles, but the roads etc can't.). It took a few
decades for the sea-bottom clay to be broken up enough by appropriate
plants for real farming to start.

Jasper