Just broke 25km/h average

mtbnewbie

Aug 3, 2005
I finally did it. I had a pretty good 50 km ride yesterday but I wasn't happy with my average speed over the distance, only about 22 km/h. It was one of my slowest rides yet and it was fairly flat.

I Went out today and did 25.2 km in 1:00:17, a bit more hilly. It was my best ride yet and I felt great. Granted I doubt I would have been able to maintain the 25km/h average for another hour but I am sure that I would have been able to keep the pace above 23 km/h for the second hour.

Looking forward to next Saturday and the 50 km bike-a-thon.

mtbnewbie said:
I finally did it. I had a pretty good 50 km ride yesterday but I wasn't happy with my average speed over the distance, only about 22 km/h. It was one of my slowest rides yet and it was fairly flat.

I Went out today and did 25.2 km in 1:00:17, a bit more hilly. It was my best ride yet and I felt great. Granted I doubt I would have been able to maintain the 25km/h average for another hour but I am sure that I would have been able to keep the pace above 23 km/h for the second hour.

That is fantastic! Keep it up!

I cannot break that mark for the life of me ... stupid stop lights :mad:

Would you be so kind of posting the entire specs of your machine ?

mtbnewbie said:

On a MTB right? Get a road bike and enjoy 30 k/h rides with ease!:D

Good going!

A 25kph average on an MTB without clipless pedals is pretty damn good.

huhenio said:
That is fantastic! Keep it up!

I cannot break that mark for the life of me ... stupid stop lights :mad:

Would you be so kind of posting the entire specs of your machine ?
Bought it at Canadian Tire for under $200.00

Its a 23" frame (I think?) Super Cycle XTI-18DS
Front Shocks Mercalli Downhill
Duro Raider knobby tires 26 X 2.00 (54-559)
Jaco Alco rims
Shimano Revo-Shift Indexed Shifters (SLR531)
Front Shifter has more than 3 positions to allow triming.
Front crankset (?) probably Shimano (3 Rings)
Rear Casset Shimano MF-TZ06 (6 Rings)
Front and Rear Derailers Shimano (don't know the models)
Frame Shock (?)

I must admit it took a bit to get the 25 km/h average and I used the downhill runs to my full advantage. (I reached a maximum speed of 49 km/h somewhere during the run)

I have an old road bike (also a Canadian Tire bike), that I plan to cleanup and get going again for next summer.
I will be cleaning out and repacking all the bearings getting the wheel trued up and new rubber, the tires must be at least 10 years old and they are cracking.
That one has 15 gears 3 X 5. Shimano shifters also but those one are just the plain old levers, mounted near the top of the front downward frame tube (don't know what the proper name is for that part)
Note: Canadian Tire is a chain store here in Canada kinda like Wal-Mart.

mtbnewbie said:
Bought it at Canadian Tire for under $200.00

Its a 23" frame (I think?) Super Cycle XTI-18DS
Front Shocks Mercalli Downhill
Duro Raider knobby tires 26 X 2.00 (54-559)
Jaco Alco rims
Shimano Revo-Shift Indexed Shifters (SLR531)
Front Shifter has more than 3 positions to allow triming.
Front crankset (?) probably Shimano (3 Rings)
Rear Casset Shimano MF-TZ06 (6 Rings)
Front and Rear Derailers Shimano (don't know the models)
Frame Shock (?)

I must admit it took a bit to get the 25 km/h average and I used the downhill runs to my full advantage. (I reached a maximum speed of 49 km/h somewhere during the run)

I have an old road bike (also a Canadian Tire bike), that I plan to cleanup and get going again for next summer.
I will be cleaning out and repacking all the bearings getting the wheel trued up and new rubber, the tires must be at least 10 years old and they are cracking.
That one has 15 gears 3 X 5. Shimano shifters also but those one are just the plain old levers, mounted near the top of the front downward frame tube (don't know what the proper name is for that part)
Note: Canadian Tire is a chain store here in Canada kinda like Wal-Mart.
Ride the heavy bike for a couple of years ... then get a regular road bike.

You will be flying my friend .... flying.

huhenio said:
Ride the heavy bike for a couple of years ... then get a regular road bike.

You will be flying my friend .... flying.
Thanks for all the encouragment, I really appreciate it.