Wharf Cycles broke my bike

drifter69

Dec 21, 2005
I regret to complain about anything but I have a real issue with the way I and my bike was treated recently by Wharf Cycles

I had a problem with the rear shock on my AC1, the shock itself was in really good condition however one of the seals broke and required a overhaul. I bought the shock to you and it was sent away for repair.

It took some 5 weeks to get back, but the shock is no longer being made so I accept it took that long. No problem.

I took the shock home to fit to the bike and found that there was a difference between the fixings on the bike and the shock, as a result it wouldn't tighten up properly. I tried to explain this to the guy I was speaking to on reception, and I was asked to bring the whole bike in so he could see what the problem was.

I week later the bike was ready, apparently there were a couple of washers that weren't returned with the shock and that's why it didn't fit. The repair mechanic had fixed it and I could take it home.

This is where the problem started;

I went to collect the bike and your mechanic had fitted the shock on upside down. It only goes on one way because the dampener adjuster was now trapped between part of the frame and thus unusable. I said I though it didn't look right (as anyone would) at this point the receptionist became very inhospitable and said I didn't know what I was talking about and practically threw me out the shop.

I took the bike immediately back to the shop where I bought it and the shop owner said that it was defiantly on the wrong way round.

Very kindly he offered to change it for me, but where the shock was fitted upside down the dampener adjuster has been damaged by the frame and is now leaking fluid.

The repair cost me £80 (I was told it would only be £50) and now because the mechanic it is not working and needs to be repaired once again, and no doubt cost a lot more money.

Its expensive enough maintaining the bike but with the help the mechanic I guess its practically going to double.

I was relying on the skills of your service and repair – both of which have defiantly let me down. I have detailed my complaint to Wharf Cycles but they have chosen not to respond!!! Nice!

Hope no one else has the same problem!!