Latest Homemade Bike Light Housing

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Gags, Jul 6, 2004.

  1. Gags

    Gags Guest

    Tags:

  2. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Not sniggering at all here, you typed in the Magic Word,

    L U X E O N

    Oh yeah baby....:D

  3. hippy

    hippy New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2003
    Messages:
    1,806
    >Originally posted by Gags
    >http://www.users.tpg.com.au/adsl4xun/lights_7.htm
    >What do you think??

    If you're using a vistlite mount.. why didn't you just use the
    whole vistalite? :)

    I guess once you've sorted out the casing you can find a
    home-made option for the bar mount too?? (mmm carbon bars)

    hippy

  4. suzyj

    suzyj New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2004
    Originally posted by Gags:

    > I am pretty happy with my latest effort that I had a mate
    > with a lathe turn up for me.......

    > http://www.users.tpg.com.au/adsl4xun/lights_7.htm"]http://www.users.tpg.com.au/adsl4xun/lights_7.htm

    > What do you think??

    *drool*

    That's _so_ cool.

    Regards,

    Suzy

  5. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Tom Nicholson wrote:
    > Nice lights.
    >
    > Check out the Moz version.
    >
    > http://www.moz.net.nz/bike/equipment/whiteled/index.html
    >
    > nice led lights from J car with built in reflectors.
    >
    > Tom

    The data sheet isn't very clear. Is that jaycar part just 4
    chains of 3 LEDs with a series resistor? No regulator?
    Total power is only 1W at 12V. i wonder how it compares to
    the Luxon 1W.

    The Jaycar site is rather misleading. It should say its only
    1W and nowhere near as bright as a MR-11.

    These white LEDs are no more efficient than a good halogen,
    and need more electronics. (or a wasteful series resistor)
    Of course, you can't get an efficient halogen at low power
    levels, but at 5W+, I dont see the point of using LEDs.

  6. "Mike" <nospam.really@westnet.com.au> wrote in message
    > Tom Nicholson wrote:
    > > Nice lights.
    > >
    > > Check out the Moz version.
    > >
    > > http://www.moz.net.nz/bike/equipment/whiteled/index.html
    > >
    > > nice led lights from J car with built in reflectors.
    > >
    > > Tom
    >
    > The data sheet isn't very clear. Is that jaycar part just
    > 4 chains of 3 LEDs with a series resistor? No regulator?
    > Total power is only 1W at 12V. i wonder how it compares to
    > the Luxon 1W.
    >
    > The Jaycar site is rather misleading. It should say its
    > only 1W and nowhere near as bright as a MR-11.
    >
    > These white LEDs are no more efficient than a good
    > halogen, and need more electronics. (or a wasteful series
    > resistor) Of course, you can't get an efficient halogen at
    > low power levels, but at 5W+, I dont see the point of
    > using LEDs.

    The problem with the MR designs is that the connection is
    difficult to the lamp is problematic and the lamp itself is
    awkwardly shaped as far as housings go. That's why most
    experimenting is based around the lamp holder itself. Most
    sockets for the MR connections aren't very secure and you
    can't solder the terminals because they're stainless steel.
    MR bulbs less than 10 watts are extremely rare. Have a look
    at the cost of replacement bulbs at Phantom cycles. The 5
    Watt Luxeon LED is comparable in my opinion to a 10 watt MR
    bulb. It may be slightly less brighter but it's enough to
    ride on the road. Because of it's lower power draw I use a 2
    amp hour battery which saves weight and makes it easier to
    mount on the frame. I still get three or four hours of
    riding time. The LED lamp is lighter, more aero, and has
    less risk of failure due to a filament burning out.

    The experimentation is still in its early days yet and I'm
    sure there are people out there that will come up with much
    better designs than me.

    Marty

Share This Page