Looking for steel framebuilder

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Marian, Dec 13, 2007.

  1. Marian

    Marian Guest

    I thought I had found someone to build me the perfect touring bike
    frame but I obviously haven't. I'll refrain from being spiteful
    enough to mention said person's name, company, personal details,
    contact information and whatnot.

    It seems that said person, after telling me that they'd be glad to
    build me a frame, and quoting me a price, got angry that I mentioned
    them on usenet. I was supposed to have read his mind and known that
    his company is actually only supposed to be OEM and that he's not
    supposed to be giving frames to people who aren't large companies nor
    is he really supposed to be doing one offs but that he does it because
    he feels like doing it.

    He then got angry that I was only able to cancel the posts that I had
    made but could not cancel the one where someone had quoted me and the
    city he is in was still there. For anyone to read! Someone who
    didn't know that said city is part of the largest factory-based
    megalopolis in the world and the center of most bike production in the
    known universe might be able to guess from reading an archived post in
    google groups that that post was referring to him! And he's only an
    OEM company. I should have known he was only an OEM company. I
    shouldn't have posted on usenet that I was buying something from him
    without getting permission first. Might damage his reputation with
    his real customers.

    Two weeks after I sent me frame drawing back with a minor change I
    asked when I was going to get revised frame drawings. I got a very
    nasty email back that said I should be patient. It's now been a month
    since the nasty email. I haven't gotten my revised frame drawings. I
    don't think I am ever going to.

    And even if I do hear from him again I'm not entirely sure I want to
    deal with Mr. Privacy Sourpuss Weirdo if anyone else at all can give
    me a decent price.

    I want to build a lugged steel touring frame. I've even already got
    some very nice exceptionally detailed drawings of what is almost but
    not quite the perfect lugged steel touring frame (it's missing the
    pump pegs and doesn't have rack eyelets on the fork). What I don't
    have is a builder.

    For a number of reasons I would prefer to have a builder who gets the
    actual frame building done in China or Taiwan. Doesn't have to be
    Asia but most frames are made in Asia and since I live in Asia it'd
    just be more convenient if I could have my frame shipped to me direct
    from the factory (like with my Habanero).

    -M

    Tags:

  2. On Dec 14, 1:06 am, Marian <marian.rosenb...@gmail.com> wrote:
    > I thought I had found someone to build me the perfect touring bike
    > frame but I obviously haven't. I'll refrain from being spiteful
    > enough to mention said person's name, company, personal details,
    > contact information and whatnot.
    >
    > It seems that said person, after telling me that they'd be glad to
    > build me a frame, and quoting me a price, got angry that I mentioned
    > them on usenet. I was supposed to have read his mind and known that
    > his company is actually only supposed to be OEM and that he's not
    > supposed to be giving frames to people who aren't large companies nor
    > is he really supposed to be doing one offs but that he does it because
    > he feels like doing it.
    >
    > He then got angry that I was only able to cancel the posts that I had
    > made but could not cancel the one where someone had quoted me and the
    > city he is in was still there. For anyone to read! Someone who
    > didn't know that said city is part of the largest factory-based
    > megalopolis in the world and the center of most bike production in the
    > known universe might be able to guess from reading an archived post in
    > google groups that that post was referring to him! And he's only an
    > OEM company. I should have known he was only an OEM company. I
    > shouldn't have posted on usenet that I was buying something from him
    > without getting permission first. Might damage his reputation with
    > his real customers.
    >
    > Two weeks after I sent me frame drawing back with a minor change I
    > asked when I was going to get revised frame drawings. I got a very
    > nasty email back that said I should be patient. It's now been a month
    > since the nasty email. I haven't gotten my revised frame drawings. I
    > don't think I am ever going to.
    >
    > And even if I do hear from him again I'm not entirely sure I want to
    > deal with Mr. Privacy Sourpuss Weirdo if anyone else at all can give
    > me a decent price.
    >
    > I want to build a lugged steel touring frame. I've even already got
    > some very nice exceptionally detailed drawings of what is almost but
    > not quite the perfect lugged steel touring frame (it's missing the
    > pump pegs and doesn't have rack eyelets on the fork). What I don't
    > have is a builder.
    >
    > For a number of reasons I would prefer to have a builder who gets the
    > actual frame building done in China or Taiwan. Doesn't have to be
    > Asia but most frames are made in Asia and since I live in Asia it'd
    > just be more convenient if I could have my frame shipped to me direct
    > from the factory (like with my Habanero).
    >
    > -M

    I forget his name, but there's an older gentleman in northeastern
    Massachusetts, US that builds steel frames. He does the work himself,
    and builds great bikes. I realize it's certainly not Asia, but if you
    don't find a better option, all I've heard is good things. I don't
    have his # handy, but if you call Western Cycle in Danvers, MA @ (978)
    774-1685 they'll hook you up. I was going to have them work with the
    builder to build me a ritchey breakaway frame for commuting, but ended
    up moving so the ned for the bike was gone. Anyway, good luck.

    I'm curious, if you were treated as such and so wronged by this other
    builder, why do you feel obligated to withhold his info?

  3. On Dec 14, 10:20 pm, "DanK...@gmail.com" <DanK...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]

    > > just be more convenient if I could have my frame shipped to me direct
    > > from the factory (like with my Habanero).

    > > -M

    > I forget his name, but there's an older gentleman in northeastern
    > Massachusetts, US that builds steel frames. He does the work himself,
    > and builds great bikes. I realize it's certainly not Asia, but if you
    > don't find a better option, all I've heard is good things. I don't
    > have his # handy, but if you call Western Cycle in Danvers, MA @ (978)
    > 774-1685 they'll hook you up. I was going to have them work with the
    > builder to build me a ritchey breakaway frame for commuting, but ended
    > up moving so the ned for the bike was gone. Anyway, good luck.
    >
    > I'm curious, if you were treated as such and so wronged by this other
    > builder, why do you feel obligated to withhold his info?- Hide quoted text -

    He has been both rude and nasty but I wouldn't say I was wronged.

    Wronged is more well wrong.

    I had this really really cool thing dangled in front of me as an
    almost "you're going to have this" and now I'm not. Now I've gone
    through the multi-stage process of determining exactly what I want in
    a touring bike and exactly how that bike would be different from
    standard and whooooops, we're not going to answer any of your emails
    because we think you should have guessed that the owner of our company
    is a nutjob.

    Before blowing up at me for mentioning him on Usenet without prior
    permission I think the nutjob should have already told me that his
    framebuilding business for friends and friends of friends in China is
    on-the-side, about a third of the cost of the framebuilding he does
    for companies in Europe, and that the people he works with in Europe
    would be very displeased to hear that he is doing frames with his own
    branding on them and selling them to people in China. However,
    knowing this now, even though I'm annoyed at the nutjob I'm also not
    going to deliberately set out to ruin him.

    That would be even more rude than he has already been to me.

    -M

Share This Page