Looking for Tandem with under seat steering

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Bruce, Sep 15, 2003.

  1. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    I'm interested in getting a tandem with USS. I am 6'1'' and my wife the stoker is 5'2'' mostly ride
    around NJ and do short day rides 30-50 miles. I hope to test out an eliminator11 and m5. Would like
    to hear from toughs you who have experience with these bikes. maybe some hits on " must have'" that
    I should conceder. Like do I need a drag brake ? etc. Thanks!

    Tags:

  2. Mike S

    Mike S Guest

    "bruce" <jsp53@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<L_udnd-SjeEqp_iiXTWJhg@comcast.com>...
    > I'm interested in getting a tandem with USS. I am 6'1'' and my wife the stoker is 5'2'' mostly
    > ride around NJ and do short day rides 30-50 miles. I hope to test out an eliminator11 and m5.
    > Would like to hear from toughs you who have experience with these bikes. maybe some hits on " must
    > have'" that I should conceder. Like do I need a drag brake ? etc. Thanks!

    Bruce: I have seen both of these tandems but haven't ridden any. I can say that the Longbikes
    recumbents are some of the most nicely finished recumbents I have seen. Greg Peek makes a very
    nicely finished product. They are heavy (all recumbent tandems are heavy) but very nicely turned
    out. The M5 (which incidentally Hostelshoppe has one demo on sale now) is a loooooooong tandem.
    Transportation has to be a major undertaken. The advantage that I saw was the M5 seat. Our tandem
    (Barcroft Columbia) is a very comfortable tandem but shares some of the problems all tandems bring
    with them. They are tough getting up hill due to their weight (and the combined weight of two
    riders). I look at the M5 seat as a way to shed 6 - 8 pounds of bike weight. I also have found
    that the solid platform that a carbon fiber seat provides allows all pedaling torque to go to the
    pedals. None is lost by any backward movement into a giving mesh seatback. We are now
    investigating substituting Barcroft's new cf seats for our standard RANS seats for that reason.
    You do give up some comfort as the seat rides harsher, but I don't find it comfortable straining
    up big hills either.

    I presume you didn't mention the Double Vision because you weren't interested in it. At the tandem
    rallies we pass Screamers all day on the ride but seldom pass a Vision. They tend to pass us. I
    don't know why they are faster. They are long and flexy, but they seem to really move.

    Good luck on the search.

    Mike S. St. Louis, Mo.

    Barcroft Virginia Barcroft Columbia RANS Rocket.

  3. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    Thanks for you comments, I have not ruled out the Double Vision yet but I felt the stiff frame
    design and the low stance of the Eliminator nitro would make it a better bike. I test road a
    Screamer and liked it just fine. I just hoping to find some one with more tandem experience to help
    me evaluate the differences between all of them. I want a fast ride but not at the expense of
    stability. I heard the vision can get tricky with speed and bumps in the picture. The Eliminator is
    about 5 pounds heaver but I don't know if that will really slow it down much here in flat nj. I'm
    looking for a test ride to help work out some of these questions.

    "mike s" <mbstern@primary.net> wrote in message
    > "bruce" <jsp53@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > I'm interested in getting a tandem with USS. I am 6'1'' and my wife the stoker is 5'2'' mostly
    > > ride around NJ and do short day rides 30-50 miles. I hope to test
    out
    > > an eliminator11 and m5. Would like to hear from toughs you who have experience with these bikes.
    > > maybe some hits on " must have'" that I
    should
    > > conceder. Like do I need a drag brake ? etc. Thanks!
    >
    > Bruce: I have seen both of these tandems but haven't ridden any. I can say that the Longbikes
    > recumbents are some of the most nicely finished recumbents I have seen. Greg Peek makes a very
    > nicely finished product. They are heavy (all recumbent tandems are heavy) but very nicely turned
    > out. The M5 (which incidentally Hostelshoppe has one demo on sale now) is a loooooooong tandem.
    > Transportation has to be a major undertaken. The advantage that I saw was the M5 seat. Our tandem
    > (Barcroft Columbia) is a very comfortable tandem but shares some of the problems all tandems bring
    > with them. They are tough getting up hill due to their weight (and the combined weight of two
    > riders). I look at the M5 seat as a way to shed 6 - 8 pounds of bike weight. I also have found
    > that the solid platform that a carbon fiber seat provides allows all pedaling torque to go to the
    > pedals. None is lost by any backward movement into a giving mesh seatback. We are now
    > investigating substituting Barcroft's new cf seats for our standard RANS seats for that reason.
    > You do give up some comfort as the seat rides harsher, but I don't find it comfortable straining
    > up big hills either.
    >
    > I presume you didn't mention the Double Vision because you weren't interested in it. At the tandem
    > rallies we pass Screamers all day on the ride but seldom pass a Vision. They tend to pass us. I
    > don't know why they are faster. They are long and flexy, but they seem to really move.
    >
    > Good luck on the search.
    >
    > Mike S. St. Louis, Mo.
    >
    > Barcroft Virginia Barcroft Columbia RANS Rocket.

Share This Page