Matt Keenan - is he any good?

Keenan is able to recognise riders in the bunch at a glance and is extremely knowledgable about riders palmares and the current state of cycling, which is more than I can say for Liggett and Sherwin. Liggett is getting worse every year. He misses moves and calls names incorrectly with monotonous regularity. It's becoming a joke IMO.

classic1 said:
Keenan is able to recognise riders in the bunch at a glance and is extremely knowledgable about riders palmares and the current state of cycling, which is more than I can say for Liggett and Sherwin. Liggett is getting worse every year. He misses moves and calls names incorrectly with monotonous regularity. It's becoming a joke IMO.
Yes, I'm just waiting for Liggett to start calling out the names of retired riders or riders who never started. Wouldn't be surprised if he declares Boonen a stage winner.

Yeah, Matty Keenan goes alright as a commentator.

I remember when he started at the Melbourne Cup on Wheels & even then he had a great knowledge of the riders.

Reckon the strangest thing for most people is to hear English commentary WITHOUT the well known accents of the P&P show.

classic1 said:
Keenan is about as good as it gets. Needed a while to find his feet though, but in terms on knowledge, he is about as good as Classic1 + Ed73 + Classic1s' old man, put together. He is very good, knows his stuff.

Some cats on SBS got a little cut up at him getting Seba and Sylvain Chavanel switched around, which was more a broadcasting typo whilst he was finding his feet.

Like the Flemish commentators, can probably spot a rider by his technique merely silhouetted.

classic1 said:
Liggett is getting worse every year. He misses moves and calls names incorrectly with monotonous regularity. It's becoming a joke IMO.
The reason Liggett liked USPS so much because they sat on the front of bunches day in day out and it was easy just call Hincapie's name who rode the entire Tour de France on the front of the peleton and threw in the old mountain stage victory here and there for good measure..... without the doping Liggett's job has got much harder.......... I love the EuroSport calling.... they go into gear ratio's etc. and they don't like the Liggett coverage explaning what "drafting" is etc. etc.

whiteboytrash said:
The reason Liggett liked USPS so much because they sat on the front of bunches day in day out and it was easy just call Hincapie's name who rode the entire Tour de France on the front of the peleton and threw in the old mountain stage victory here and there for good measure..... without the doping Liggett's job has got much harder.......... I love the EuroSport calling.... they go into gear ratio's etc. and they don't like the Liggett coverage explaning what "drafting" is etc. etc.

I think the reason they liked USPS was because of Sherwen's old job, plus the fact that the blackball system existed with that team. Never forget, never forgive. You don't upset the apple cart when it deprives you of access to your income stream.

Runitout said:
I think the reason they liked USPS was because of Sherwen's old job, plus the fact that the blackball system existed with that team. Never forget, never forgive. You don't upset the apple cart when it deprives you of access to your income stream.
Plus USPS/Disco probably had by far the biggest fan following of their viewership.

Crankyfeet said:
Plus USPS/Disco probably had by far the biggest fan following of their viewership.

That's part of what I'm getting at - if you're the de facto channel for the USPS fanboys, there's no point getting blackballed from their press conferences, and not being able to ask "insider" questions, getting the interviews, etc etc.

Paul and Phil do it all the time - they may not be able to tell their Kirchen from their Gerdemann, but they sure know how to mention all the riders from English speaking countries. And it'll be "Cadel" and "Big George", while Menchov will struggle to get a "Denis" despite his two grand tours.

edit - I really don't think they care though, Paul and Phil will be laughing all the way to the bank, and back from their big game ranches in Africa. And I'll take my medicine and watch them if it means I get to watch the Tour on telly. Still, if Keenan's as good as they say, I wish they'd give him a run in prime time.

thunder said:
Like the Flemish commentators, can probably spot a rider by his technique merely silhouetted.
Growing up watching grey import videoes of bikeraces I can do that watching youtube and old videos of 1980's classics but generally can't do it as well with the current riders. Current riders wearing helmets and sunnies doesn't help IMO, but Liggett and Sherwen are supposed to be professional commentators. A **** like me vegitating on the couch at home shouldn't have to sit there thinking 'thats Steegemans, not Boonen you mongers', or think 'did those clowns even just see Hoste puncture'.

I've seen a DVD of Keenan commentating on the Tour of the Basque Country, accurately picking out near unknown basque Eusketel riders or riders on small Spanish teams AND giving a run down of their results. He's good.

Well, from what I've seen of Keenan so far, I'm impressed. He doesn't know how to pronounce "Francaise des Jeux", or "Hushovd" - but then again Phil and Pal can't pronounce Hushovd either, so no loss there.

I guess patriotism got in there somehow but the bit about Sir Hubert Opperman was a bit clunky.

Liggett was amusing - at one point he called the Mur de Bretagne the Muur de Grammont. And Paul still can't work out which Chavanel he's looking at.

Good times.

Runitout said:
Well, from what I've seen of Keenan so far, I'm impressed. He doesn't know how to pronounce "Francaise des Jeux", or "Hushovd" - but then again Phil and Pal can't pronounce Hushovd either, so no loss there.

I guess patriotism got in there somehow but the bit about Sir Hubert Opperman was a bit clunky.

Liggett was amusing - at one point he called the Mur de Bretagne the Muur de Grammont. And Paul still can't work out which Chavanel he's looking at.

Good times.
needs to take a deep breath. Speak slower. Pause. Speak in sentences.

He has given more information in two nights than Liggett has in his entire career.

classic1 said:
Keenan is a terrific commentator and as he's an Aussie I'll go out on a limb and say that he is the best in the world. Naturally.
Liggett should be tested for substance abuse, although in a cruel kinda way he's often unintentionally funny.
Most of the viewers watching probably assume that Sherwen is Phil's "partner",,, ;)

Keenan's good, just needs to learn that it's not necessary to fill every micro- second of the telecast with words...sometimes the picture is enough

thunder said:
Keenan is about as good as it gets. Needed a while to find his feet though, but in terms on knowledge, he is about as good as Classic1 + Ed73 + Classic1s' old man, put together. He is very good, knows his stuff.

Some cats on SBS got a little cut up at him getting Seba and Sylvain Chavanel switched around, which was more a broadcasting typo whilst he was finding his feet.

Now that is a ****ing big call....but i agree he's fast becoming a class act.

I am afraid I have to disagree strongly with you, I watched about as much of the 2011 tour coverage as it was possible without getting divorced! and I have to say IMHO Phil Ligget was bang on most of the time! (Paul Sherwin had his moments “The wind is lashing down here at the finish” put a smile on my face!) Lets no forget the worlds greatest F1 commentator Murray Walker was a famous for his gaffs as his superb commentary, being a good commentator is more than just getting everything 100% its about making the veiwing experience interesting and digestable for what might be a mainstream audience.

Cycling is still far from being a mainstream sport in the UK, sure the total bike heads want every last thing perfect, but they know what they are looking at, and represent a small percentage of the viewing public, my personal view of Mr Keenan’s commentary is its not very inspiring, reasonably accurate yes but he has a very flat style that is unlikely to convert many of the uninitiated to the greatest sport on earth.

keeno needs to stop going on shows like 7pm Project and tackling from Lance Armstrong's PR talking points from Bizarre Voice and Public Strategies. Its embarrassing. The way the sport is hurt Keeno, is if you drag your feet on this, and shill for the vested interests. I dont mean selling out on Alby in Puerto of Gerro in Monaco. But when Armstrong has the sport captive, dont be fricken craven.