OK to use QBP derailer housing for Campy shift cables?

none

Guest
My Campagnolo Veloce levers came with enough cable housing to complete
the handlebars, but not enough to do the rear derailer loop. However, I
found some spare QBP housing that I can use for this purpose. Is it OK
to use the QBP derailer housing with Campy shifting cables?

The diameter of the QBP is definitely larger than the Campagnolo
housing, but I don't see why that should be a problem.

Thanks,
-Mike

OD or ID is larger?

I once used whatever it is that Branford sells with Campy cables. The
ID of the housing was just a wee bit smaller. After a week of
frustration, I used inner cables from the same manufacturer, and things
improved. (I still prefer Campy cable sets, but I was running short of
funds...)

none <[email protected]> wrote:

>My Campagnolo Veloce levers came with enough cable housing to complete
>the handlebars, but not enough to do the rear derailer loop. However, I
>found some spare QBP housing that I can use for this purpose. Is it OK
>to use the QBP derailer housing with Campy shifting cables?
>
>The diameter of the QBP is definitely larger than the Campagnolo
>housing, but I don't see why that should be a problem.

Careful - if the cable housing is much larger, that QBP cable might be
BRAKE cable (which you shouldn't use for the RD loop).

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

none wrote:
> My Campagnolo Veloce levers came with enough cable housing to complete
> the handlebars, but not enough to do the rear derailer loop. However, I
> found some spare QBP housing that I can use for this purpose. Is it OK
> to use the QBP derailer housing with Campy shifting cables?
>
> The diameter of the QBP is definitely larger than the Campagnolo
> housing, but I don't see why that should be a problem.
>
> Thanks,
> -Mike

Not a problem at all but an advantage, much like switching from the
silly 4mm shimano housing. QBP 5mm der housing is great stuff and will
improve any older cablke housing set. Not expensive, lined, great. Samo
for their brake housing.

Stiffness and lack of drag are essential for good working click shift
der systems. 5mm provides this.

Mark Hickey wrote:
> Careful - if the cable housing is much larger, that QBP cable might be
> BRAKE cable (which you shouldn't use for the RD loop).

Thanks for the warning. It is the kind of housing made up of many small
wires, which I believe is the compressionless derailer housing.

-Mike

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> Not a problem at all but an advantage, much like switching from the
> silly 4mm shimano housing. QBP 5mm der housing is great stuff and will
> improve any older cablke housing set. Not expensive, lined, great. Samo
> for their brake housing.

Sounds great! I don't really like the plastic QPB cable ferrules, though
-- hard to squeeze them on and they seem likely to compress after
repeated use.

Thanks a lot for your advice -- you have been extremely helpful in my
Campagnolo conversion process!

-Mike

richard wrote:
> OD or ID is larger?

I could be wrong, but the inner diameter of the Campagnolo housing looks
a bit smaller. The outer diameter is also smaller, so maybe that is
causing a bit of an optical illusion.

> I once used whatever it is that Branford sells with Campy cables.

The housing I have is black with 'Campagnolo' printed on the outside in
silver.

-Mike

none wrote:
> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> > Not a problem at all but an advantage, much like switching from the
> > silly 4mm shimano housing. QBP 5mm der housing is great stuff and will
> > improve any older cablke housing set. Not expensive, lined, great. Samo
> > for their brake housing.

> Sounds great! I don't really like the plastic QPB cable ferrules, though
> -- hard to squeeze them on and they seem likely to compress after
> repeated use.
>
> Thanks a lot for your advice -- you have been extremely helpful in my
> Campagnolo conversion process!
>
> -Mike

happy to help-email direct or post any time.

The point was, I think it's best to keep within manufacturers...

richard wrote:
> The point was, I think it's best to keep within manufacturers...

You're probably right, but I'd rather not wait for another week while
the Campy housing is shipped to me. Plus, I have the QBP housing on
hand, while I will probably have to pay $20-$30 for an entire Campy
cable/housing set, instead of just the small piece I need to do the rear
derailer loop.

Thanks,
-Mike