QBP wheels

Zruk

Guest
Hi,
does anyone know for a fact whether the QBP wheels are stress
relieved? I asked Sheldon but he is not sure. Looking for value in an
old school wheel.
thanks

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 12:01:54 -0800 (PST), Zruk <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Hi,
>does anyone know for a fact whether the QBP wheels are stress
>relieved? I asked Sheldon but he is not sure. Looking for value in an
>old school wheel.
>thanks

Dear Stan,

Whether it works or not, doing it again yourself won't hurt anything.

You can squeeze all the spoke pairs together yourself in less than
five minutes, including the time to find some heavy gloves. That's
Jobst's method.

Or you can try Sheldon's method--stick a smooth crank arm into the vee
of the crossing spokes and twist 'em:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

Or you can take the wheels off, set the axle on a block of wood, put a
hand on either side of the rim, and lean on it, repeating around the
clock and then on the other side. That's the Mavic method, which uses
your body weight and seems to produce higher tension:
http://home.comcast.net/~carlfogel/download/SpokeTension.pdf

Any of these methods may produce small cracking or popping noises as
wound-up spokes untwist or seat, and you may have to re-true the wheel
a little afterward.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

On Jan 16, 2:20 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 12:01:54 -0800 (PST), Zruk <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >does anyone know for a fact whether the QBP wheels are stress
> >relieved? I asked Sheldon but he is not sure. Looking for value in an
> >old school wheel.
> >thanks

> Dear Stan,
>
> Whether it works or not, doing it again yourself won't hurt anything.
>
> You can squeeze all the spoke pairs together yourself in less than
> five minutes, including the time to find some heavy gloves. That's
> Jobst's method.
>
> Or you can try Sheldon's method--stick a smooth crank arm into the vee
> of the crossing spokes and twist 'em:
> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html
>
> Or you can take the wheels off, set the axle on a block of wood, put a
> hand on either side of the rim, and lean on it, repeating around the
> clock and then on the other side. That's the Mavic method, which uses
> your body weight and seems to produce higher tension:
> http://home.comcast.net/~carlfogel/download/SpokeTension.pdf

The axle and block of wood method is far superior to anything else.
With factory wheels I always do this, retrue and build up the tension
between 1/2 and 3/4 turn and end up with very stable wheels. Squeezing
or using granny's pasta fork just doesn't pull the spokes hard enough.

Granddaughter writes:

>>> does anyone know for a fact whether the QBP wheels are stress
>>> relieved? I asked Sheldon but he is not sure. Looking for value in
>>> an old school wheel.

>> Whether it works or not, doing it again yourself won't hurt
>> anything.

>> You can squeeze all the spoke pairs together yourself in less than
>> five minutes, including the time to find some heavy gloves. That's
>> Jobst's method.

>> Or you can try Sheldon's method--stick a smooth crank arm into the
>> vee of the crossing spokes and twist 'em:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

>> Or you can take the wheels off, set the axle on a block of wood,
>> put a hand on either side of the rim, and lean on it, repeating
>> around the clock and then on the other side. That's the Mavic
>> method, which uses your body weight and seems to produce higher
>> tension:

http://home.comcast.net/~carlfogel/download/SpokeTension.pdf

> The axle and block of wood method is far superior to anything else.
> With factory wheels I always do this, retrue and build up the
> tension between 1/2 and 3/4 turn and end up with very stable
> wheels. Squeezing or using granny's pasta fork just doesn't pull the
> spokes hard enough.

I think you are mistaken in that method. If you put a tensiometer on
the wheel and try both manual spoke stretching and the method you
outline, you'll find they produce similar increases in spoke tension
except that pressing down across the diameter of the wheel deforms it
and puts permanent deformation into the wheel. By manually working
pairs of spokes that overlap each other, there is only a slight radial
deformation with no lateral effect.

You can collapse a wheels laterally without significantly increasing
spoke tension. A pretzeled wheel can often be straightened and
reused. I once met some tourists who had such a wheel and were hoping
to get a ride when I fixed the wheel to near new condition and sent
them on their way. Straightening the wheel required first loosening
all spokes a turn or so before bending the wheel back to plane.

Jobst Brandt

On Jan 16, 2:53 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> >> Whether it works or not, doing it again yourself won't hurt
> >> anything.
> >> You can squeeze all the spoke pairs together yourself in less than
> >> five minutes, including the time to find some heavy gloves. That's
> >> Jobst's method.
> >> Or you can try Sheldon's method--stick a smooth crank arm into the
> >> vee of the crossing spokes and twist 'em:

> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html
>
> >> Or you can take the wheels off, set the axle on a block of wood,
> >> put a hand on either side of the rim, and lean on it, repeating
> >> around the clock and then on the other side. That's the Mavic
> >> method, which uses your body weight and seems to produce higher
> >> tension:

> http://home.comcast.net/~carlfogel/download/SpokeTension.pdf
>
> > The axle and block of wood method is far superior to anything else.
> > With factory wheels I always do this, retrue and build up the
> > tension between 1/2 and 3/4 turn and end up with very stable
> > wheels. Squeezing or using granny's pasta fork just doesn't pull the
> > spokes hard enough.

> I think you are mistaken in that method. If you put a tensiometer on
> the wheel and try both manual spoke stretching and the method you
> outline, you'll find they produce similar increases in spoke tension
> except that pressing down across the diameter of the wheel deforms it
> and puts permanent deformation into the wheel. By manually working
> pairs of spokes that overlap each other, there is only a slight radial
> deformation with no lateral effect.

********. The axle-on-wood method works far better than the squeeze,
which rarely gets the spoke head seated fully in the flange. The
"permanent deformation" claim is also ********. You just work the
wheel till you see the spoke heads seat. You're simply lying and being
dogmatic for your ego. How Jobstian!

Granddaughter snipes from cover:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

http://home.comcast.net/~carlfogel/download/SpokeTension.pdf

>>> The axle and block of wood method is far superior to anything
>>> else. With factory wheels I always do this, retrue and build up
>>> the tension between 1/2 and 3/4 turn and end up with very stable
>>> wheels. Squeezing or using granny's pasta fork just doesn't pull
>>> the spokes hard enough.

>> I think you are mistaken in that method. If you put a tensiometer
>> on the wheel and try both manual spoke stretching and the method
>> you outline, you'll find they produce similar increases in spoke
>> tension except that pressing down across the diameter of the wheel
>> deforms it and puts permanent deformation into the wheel. By
>> manually working pairs of spokes that overlap each other, there is
>> only a slight radial deformation with no lateral effect.

> ********. The axle-on-wood method works far better than the squeeze,
> which rarely gets the spoke head seated fully in the flange. The
> "permanent deformation" claim is also ********. You just work the
> wheel till you see the spoke heads seat. You're simply lying and
> being dogmatic for your ego. How Jobstian!

How did you determine this? I use a tensiometer, what instrument did
you use? You may be confusing sounds from spokes untwisting as stress
relief, but that is not stress relief. Spokes untwist when they are
momentarily unloaded. This is not an indication of over-tensioning.

Your method unloads spokes admirably, which is another reason not to
use it.

Meanwhile, can you present technical material in a civil tone? Who
are you, by the way? It seems the rudest folks are all anonymous.

Jobst Brandt

Brandt engages in the usual BS:

On Jan 16, 6:19 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> Granddaughter snipes from cover:

<snip>

> Meanwhile, can you present technical material in a civil tone?

Has anyone else's "irony" meter exploded???

>  Who are you, by the way?

WTF difference does it make, Brandt???

>  It seems the rudest folks are all anonymous.

Gee, you're the rudest SOB here, but you're not "anonymous".

> Jobst Brandt, *****

On Jan 16, 7:49 pm, Ozark Bicycle
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Brandt engages in the usual BS:
>
> On Jan 16, 6:19 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>
> > Granddaughter snipes from cover:

> <snip>
>
> > Meanwhile, can you present technical material in a civil tone?

> Has anyone else's "irony" meter exploded???
>
> > Who are you, by the way?

> WTF difference does it make, Brandt???
>
> > It seems the rudest folks are all anonymous.

> Gee, you're the rudest SOB here, but you're not "anonymous".
>

> > Jobst Brandt, *****

Don't know who is the rudest but the more rudeness, the more fun for
the lurkers. Can we get a shot of Tennessee whiskey to go with this?

Andres

On Jan 16, 9:30 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jan 16, 7:49 pm, Ozark Bicycle
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Brandt engages in the usual BS:

> > On Jan 16, 6:19 pm, [email protected] wrote:

> > > Granddaughter snipes from cover:

> > <snip>

> > > Meanwhile, can you present technical material in a civil tone?

> > Has anyone else's "irony" meter exploded???

> > >  Who are you, by the way?

> > WTF difference does it make, Brandt???

> > >  It seems the rudest folks are all anonymous.

> > Gee, you're the rudest SOB here, but you're not "anonymous".

> > > Jobst Brandt, *****

> Don't know who is the rudest but the more rudeness, the more fun for
> the lurkers. Can we get a shot of Tennessee whiskey to go with this?

Would you settle for some popcorn?

landotter ? wrote:
> ********. The axle-on-wood method works far better than the squeeze,
> which rarely gets the spoke head seated fully in the flange. The
> "permanent deformation" claim is also ********. You just work the
> wheel till you see the spoke heads seat. You're simply lying and being
> dogmatic for your ego. How Jobstian!

Excellent "jim beam" imitation!

"And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people."
- A. Derleth

[email protected] aka Jobst Brandt wrote:
> ...It seems the rudest folks are all anonymous.

Hey, what about non-anonymous me?

"And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people."
- A. Derleth

On Jan 16, 9:49 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
wrote:
> landotter ? wrote:

Excellent Jobst Brandt imitation! Does he let you kiss his ass, or
just his feet?

Ozark Bicycle aka Richard who? wrote:
> On Jan 16, 9:49 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> landotter ? wrote:

> Excellent Jobst Brandt imitation! Does he let you kiss his ass, or
> just his feet?

Jobst happens to be correct about anonymous posters.

Tom Sherman writes:

>> ...It seems the rudest folks are all anonymous.

> Hey, what about non-anonymous me?

You probably fit the description to the anonymous posters who believe
that scatology, sexual innuendo and any other crude name calling is
OK, while disagreeing with their beliefs is the height of rudeness. I
would like to see where I called someone rude names in what I wrote.
I'm sure that some of these guys are Googling hard to find one. I
suspect it's their way of trolling for a response in kind.

Jobst Brandt

On Jan 16, 9:59 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Ozark Bicycle aka Richard who? wrote:> On Jan 16, 9:49 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
> > wrote:
> >> landotter ? wrote:

> > Excellent Jobst Brandt imitation! Does he let you kiss his ass, or
> > just his feet?

>  >
> Jobst happens to be correct about anonymous posters.

And jim beam "happens to be correct" about Jobst Brandt.

wrote:
> Ozark Bicycle aka Richard who? wrote:> On Jan 16, 9:49 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
> > wrote:
> >> landotter ? wrote:

> > Excellent Jobst Brandt imitation! Does he let you kiss his ass, or
> > just his feet?

> Jobst happens to be correct about anonymous posters.
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> "And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people."
> - A. Derleth

"landotter" is sharpied quite clearly here in the neck of my Ralph
Reed Underoos.

Glory!

<slug of Heaven Hill>

Hallelujah!

On Jan 17, 7:22 am, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jan 16, 9:59 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> > Ozark Bicycle aka Richard who? wrote:> On Jan 16, 9:49 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>

> > > Excellent Jobst Brandt imitation! Does he let you kiss his ass, or
> > > just his feet?

> > Jobst happens to be correct about anonymous posters.

> "landotter" is sharpied quite clearly here in the neck of my Ralph
> Reed Underoos.

Don't you know better than to disagree with The Great Man whilst clad
in underwear? ;-)

> Glory!
>
> <slug of Heaven Hill>
>
> Hallelujah!

Pass the Heaven Hill and lean on a rim!

On Jan 17, 7:52 am, Ozark Bicycle
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jan 17, 7:22 am, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Jan 16, 9:59 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
> > wrote:

> > > Ozark Bicycle aka Richard who? wrote:> On Jan 16, 9:49 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>

> > > Jobst happens to be correct about anonymous posters.

> > "landotter" is sharpied quite clearly here in the neck of my Ralph
> > Reed Underoos.

> Don't you know better than to disagree with The Great Man whilst clad
> in underwear? ;-)
>

> > Glory!

> > <slug of Heaven Hill>

> > Hallelujah!

> Pass the Heaven Hill and lean on a rim!

Hey now, that there sounds like some of them hybrid country *and*
western lyrics!

landotter wrote:

>> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

>> http://home.comcast.net/~carlfogel/download/SpokeTension.pdf
>>
>>> The axle and block of wood method is far superior to anything else.
>>> With factory wheels I always do this, retrue and build up the
>>> tension between 1/2 and 3/4 turn and end up with very stable
>>> wheels. Squeezing or using granny's pasta fork just doesn't pull the
>>> spokes hard enough.

>> I think you are mistaken in that method. If you put a tensiometer on
>> the wheel and try both manual spoke stretching and the method you
>> outline, you'll find they produce similar increases in spoke tension
>> except that pressing down across the diameter of the wheel deforms it
>> and puts permanent deformation into the wheel. By manually working
>> pairs of spokes that overlap each other, there is only a slight radial
>> deformation with no lateral effect.

> ********. The axle-on-wood method works far better than the squeeze,
> which rarely gets the spoke head seated fully in the flange. The
> "permanent deformation" claim is also ********. You just work the
> wheel till you see the spoke heads seat. You're simply lying and being
> dogmatic for your ego. How Jobstian!

It's not the increase in tension that makes the "axle on wood" method
superior. It's the decrease in tension on the under side of the wheel.
What you're essentially doing is simulating the unloading of spokes that
naturally occurs when you ride on a wheel.

On the road, as each spoke comes to the point normal to the plane of the
ground, the rim is ever so slightly deformed to unload the tension on
the spoke. Without that tension, the static friction force in the
threads that is holding the spoke against unwinding (and you have to
have spokes with wind-up in them for this to matter) is reduced, and the
spoke twists in the nipple to relieve the wind-up. This is why you hear
the "pinging" sounds if you ride on an unrelieved wheel.

There's a good discussion of this in Barnett's Manual, Volume 2, page
17-24. There's also a discussion of spoke squeezing on page 16-42 that
basically says the reason for squeezing is not to relieve spoke wind-up,
but to prevent spokes from breaking due to fatigue by introducing a
slight bend in the spokes where they cross. For this purpose, I expect
that Sheldon's method is superior.

A consequence of this latter contention is that it would do no good at
all to squeeze spokes on a radial lacing or on a wheel like the recent
Shimano rear wheels, that don't actually have the crossing spokes
touching each other.

Jobst's remark about putting a permanent deformation in the rim is total
****. Doesn't happen, unless you push hard enough to taco the wheel.

Mike Johnson

Michael Johnson writes:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

http://home.comcast.net/~carlfogel/download/SpokeTension.pdf

>>> I think you are mistaken in that method. If you put a tensiometer
>>> on the wheel and try both manual spoke stretching and the method
>>> you outline, you'll find they produce similar increases in spoke
>>> tension except that pressing down across the diameter of the wheel
>>> deforms it and puts permanent deformation into the wheel. By
>>> manually working pairs of spokes that overlap each other, there is
>>> only a slight radial deformation with no lateral effect.

>> ********. The axle-on-wood method works far better than the
>> squeeze, which rarely gets the spoke head seated fully in the
>> flange. The "permanent deformation" claim is also ********. You
>> just work the wheel till you see the spoke heads seat. You're
>> simply lying and being dogmatic for your ego. How Jobstian!

> It's not the increase in tension that makes the "axle on wood"
> method superior. It's the decrease in tension on the under side of
> the wheel. What you're essentially doing is simulating the
> unloading of spokes that naturally occurs when you ride on a wheel.

> On the road, as each spoke comes to the point normal to the plane of
> the ground, the rim is ever so slightly deformed to unload the
> tension on the spoke. Without that tension, the static friction
> force in the threads that is holding the spoke against unwinding
> (and you have to have spokes with wind-up in them for this to
> matter) is reduced, and the spoke twists in the nipple to relieve
> the wind-up. This is why you hear the "pinging" sounds if you ride
> on an unrelieved wheel.

> There's a good discussion of this in Barnett's Manual, Volume 2,
> page 17-24. There's also a discussion of spoke squeezing on page
> 16-42 that basically says the reason for squeezing is not to relieve
> spoke wind-up, but to prevent spokes from breaking due to fatigue by
> introducing a slight bend in the spokes where they cross. For this
> purpose, I expect that Sheldon's method is superior.

> A consequence of this latter contention is that it would do no good
> at all to squeeze spokes on a radial lacing or on a wheel like the
> recent Shimano rear wheels, that don't actually have the crossing
> spokes touching each other.

If you choose to cite Barnett, how about citing "the Bicycle Wheel"
where the reason for stretching spokes is explained. It is not for
shaping spoke crossings (a place where spokes practically never fail)
but rather to relieve residual stress in spoke elbows and threads, the
cause of spoke failures in use.

> Jobst's remark about putting a permanent deformation in the rim is
> total ****. Doesn't happen, unless you push hard enough to taco the
> wheel.

I think you'll see that a wheel bent as described will no longer be
true in a classic taco shape although not greatly so. What is more
telling is that a tensiometer will show that this method has no
advantage over manual spoke stretching, a method that does not bend
the wheel.

Jobst Brandt