Re: Recokeration

joemarshall wrote:
> Surely when people say 'the media is', they are referring to the group
> of people, companies, newspapers, tv stations etc. that communicate over
> the communication mediums, rather than the collection of media that you
> are assuming. 'The media' is a noun for that group in the same way 'the
> herd' is a singular noun for a group of cows.

Effectively, people use "media" as a mass noun. The OED now describes
data as a mass noun, though to me it will always be a plural noun.

My New Oxford Dictionary describes "media" as:
"1. plural form of MEDIUM.
2. the main means of mass communication (especially television, radio
and newspapers) regarded collectively."

Which clearly seems to say that "media" is a plural noun, so "media is"
should never be used.

Distressingly, it then goes on to say:
"Usage: The word *media* comes from the Latin plural of *medium*. The
traditional view is that it should therefore be treated as a plural noun
in all its senses in English and be used with a plural rather than a
singular verb: the media *have* not followed the reports (rather than
'has'). In practice, in the sense 'television, radio and the press
collectively', it behaves as a collective noun (like *staff* or
*clergy*, for example), which means that it is now acceptable in
standard English for it to take either a singular or plural verb."

(There's a similar note on usage under the entry for "Data").

<grumpy pedant>
Hrrmph, acceptable to them, maybe, but not to me. I'm very much a
traditionalist when it comes to language. Communication is /so/ much
more effective when people stick to the rules.
</grumpy pedant>

--
Danny Colyer (my reply address is valid but checked infrequently)

cathwood wrote:
> *Okay, okay, I give in. *

No! Don't give in yet! My example only works on the level of a joke.
-Everyone- knows that it's the nail that needs hitting. It's funny
because everyone understands the mistake in the language at the same
time as understanding the intentions of the speaker.

Combinations of tone, expression, context and body language all help to
convey the meaning of otherwise ambiguous or meaningless words.

Unfortunately we only have a bit of context here on the forum, that's
why emoticons are used. :)

Anyway, as you said, we use language to communicate, and I enjoy finding
out more about it here to communicate more effectively with a wider
group of people ("owned" is my most recent acquisition).

I agree with you, GILD, that lazyness (sic ;) ) is not good, but not
everyone has grown up using the "correct" way of forming sentences.
However, we all know what "I don't know nothing" means.

I've said this before, but I believe grammar is descriptive, not
prescriptive.

--
s7ev0 - woooaaaah!

Avatar courtesy of Loosemoose.
s7ev0's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7310

> No! Don't give in yet!

I must admit my giving in was partly stimulated by Gilby's post on Maxis
applogy thread that we should keep to the topic of unicycling. I didn't
want to annoy anyone or be accused of not posting unicycle. (It was done
under duress. Ofcourse, I still agree with what I said)

Cathy

--
cathwood - Lunicyclist

A thought is just a thought.

http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk

cathwood wrote:
> *I must admit my giving in was partly stimulated by Gilby's post on
> Maxis applogy thread that we should keep to the topic of unicycling. I
> didn't want to annoy anyone or be accused of not posting unicycle. *

Err, um, yeah...

*furiously scrabbles back through the posts to the OP*

Great write up of your ride, Mike! Look forward to the next instalment!

:eek:

--
s7ev0 - woooaaaah!

Avatar courtesy of Loosemoose.
s7ev0's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7310

No, this is off topic in a good way - the thread has become a discussion
about grammatical and syntactical issues, yes, but by resolving these
issues the authors involve will henceforth produce even more lucid,
informative posts. This will make all of their future contributions to
the forum that bit more helpful for the unicycling community in general.

In addition to this, having soothed their inner torment about wether it
is data or they are data, the extra inner peace will allow them to enjoy
their own rides more, in a state of harmony and inner balance. (Sadly,
an effect on outer balance cannot be guaranteed.)

John

--
johnhimsworth - Nullus Anxietas

What if the hokey cokey really is what it's all about?
johnhimsworth's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1788

johnhimsworth wrote:
> *...having soothed their inner torment about wether it is*

ITYM "whether"

Well, that's me in a state of harmony and inner balance, a good start to
the morning... :)

Phil

--
phil - ex-studenty type

Good, bad... I'm the guy with the Cattle Prod.
phil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/915

s7ev0 wrote:
> *but not everyone has grown up using the "correct" way of forming
> sentences. *

Granted.
If that 'correct' way never exists, or isn't preserved, there will be
nothing that language users can look up to in a quest for improving
their use of language
s7ev0 wrote:
> *I've said this before, but I believe grammar is descriptive, not
> prescriptive. *

Oooh, dem's fightin' woids.

--
GILD - Waffle-******, Time-bider and JCTK

if you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me.--
'alice' (http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/custom.html?) 'roosevelt'
(http://tinyurl.com/963jr) 'longworth' (http://tinyurl.com/78ybd)

I feel like a 'fugitive' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Daves-Tattoos)
from the law of averages.-- 'william h mauldin'
(http://www.johnconyers.com/)

...using nietzsche's metaphysics to escape from
christianity...-'metro_tramp on the value of metaphysics'
(http://tinyurl.com/4sjw6)-
it's hard to be sure, and good to be paranoid...john childs on life on
the internet
'harper' (http://tinyurl.com/c9epx)
'NAMASTE!' (http://tinyurl.com/4qcxw)
'Dave' (http://www.lyricsdir.com/d/deep-purple/child-in-time.php)

GILD wrote:
> *I was actually busy typing an email this morning and I suddenly
> thought to myself that it's been a while since I had a shake-up of
> sorts in my life. So I decided to start using capital letters and
> punctuation.*

You've certainly made the right decision dear, regardless of your
motive. I'm quite proud of you. Erring on the side of proper
punctuation is always in order.

Thank you for the extra effort. I hope we can consider you a "permanent
convert".

MA

--
Miss Ayelery - Mind your Ps and Qs!
Miss Ayelery's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10854

"I don't not know no one, what don't want no nine-inch nails."

What does the singer of this music hall lyric actually mean ? Of course
we all know exactly what it means even if it breaks loads of universally
accepted rules of grammar.

Do you prefer your forests to be a monoculture of spruce for purely
functional (i.e. economic) reasons, or a rich tapestry of mixed
broadleaf and conifer ? The former is sterile and lifeless, the latter
is rich in diverse interacting wildlife communities.

If everyone spoke the same, life and the linguistic landscape would be
so much less rich - diversity is all.

Chris

--
munidobs - Level - probably not !

Don't go out without your sundried bananas !
munidobs's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8790

Miss Ayelery wrote:
> *Thank you for the extra effort. I hope we can consider you a
> "permanent convert".*

Oh, I don't know. As long as i don't read any 'poetry'
(http://www.poets.org/poet.php/prmPID/156) any time 'soon'
(http://tinyurl.com/cr8dz), I should be allright.
I guess it's time to evolve.
Nybody for another thumb?
Or one less vertebrae?

--

munidobs wrote:
> *diversity is all*

Without an accepted central mean, we wouldn't even understand the
concept of diversity.

--

GILD wrote:
> *Without an accepted central mean, we wouldn't even understand the
> concept of diversity. *

By the same token, could goodness exist in the absence of evil?

(time for a move over to JC? Oh, and my brain is beginning to hurt)

--

s7ev0 wrote:
> *By the same token, could goodness exist in the absence of evil?*

There are no such things as 'good' or 'evil'. There is only subjective
experience.

And a good time to move to JC.

--

GILD wrote:
> *Without an accepted central mean, we wouldn't even understand the
> concept of diversity. *

Is there any such thing as a "mean" (as in average, rather than
personality trait) person ? Of course there isn't, but there is
certainly a diversity of people.

GILD wrote:*There are no such things as 'good' or
> 'evil'. There is only subjective experience.*

Good point Gild - if a human kills another competing human's offspring
and eats of their flesh, that would probably be considered "evil" by
most "normal" humans, but if "wild" animals do it, it is purely a case
of survival (e.g. new alpha male in a pride of lions will kill all
offspring of his predecessor to ensure his own genetic inheritance is
dominant and devour their flesh for sustenance). A simplistic example
perhaps.

Now we could move this on to a debate about whether religion and a God
figure actually exist or were invented to impose order and discipline on
burgeoning society - indeed, even if it matters whether they do actually
exist so long as the order and discipline are maintained. Any takers

--

'Join us' (http://tinyurl.com/7r49v)