Site to watch for TDF04 detailed route?

Bob Schwartz wrote:
> Robert Chung <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Not that it really helps. You need a sharp-eyed map-
>> reading co-pilot to go someplace new. French maps and
>> signage don't allow a solo driver to get anywhere unless
>> he already knows the way; I think they're just for
>> affirmation.
>
> I bought a mapping GPS a few years back. At the time I
> thought it was pretty decadent, but it has proven to be
> very valuable when driving in places with indifferent road
> signage. Like France.
>
> Bob Schwartz [email protected]

France is the only country I've driven in where you can be
sure you're on the right track when you DON'T see a sign for
your destination (unless you count the occasional "Toutes
Directions" as your destination).

"Roy Ellefsen" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de :
news:[email protected]...

> The scale of the "cartes locales" is slightly different
> from those in your
touring atlas,
> mostly in the 1:150 000-1:175 000 range, but the content
> and the level of
detail are exactly the same
> (excepting the fact that the cartes locales tend to be
> newer and contain
more updated information).
> Thus, you should stick to the atlas unless you want maps
> that are slightly
easier to read.
> Another note: the Motoring Atlas has a notoriously bad
> index. The cartes
locales are no better
> and have only very rudimentary index information.
>
> The only alternative to the Michelin series would be the
> TOP 100 from IGN, formerly known as the "Green Series".
> These cover all of France in a 1:100
000
> scale. I don't think you should buy these either as the
> topograhpic
information makes
> them more difficult to use as roadmaps.
>
> http://www.ign.fr/affiche_rubrique.asp?rbr_id=1079&l-
> ng_id=FR

http://www.stanfords.co.uk/seriesdetails/mapseries?series_i-
d=297&loc_id=661&cat_id=568&seriescount=74

> --
> Roy Ellefsen

Just replacing old maps today, at Auchan, I found the new
ZOOM series - Michelin. They are as detailed as 1:25 000,
and the ones I got were 1: 53
000. Plenty of detail, and the printing is very clear -
much clearer than the old ones. Regional maps are
1:275 000, and departmental ones are 1:100
1.

You may just want to wait until you get here, since there
are many other mapmakers sold commonly at stores.
--
Bonne route,

Sandy Paris FR

On Tue, 25 May 2004 21:12:54 +0200, SMMB wrote:
>You may just want to wait until you get here, since there
>are many other mapmakers sold commonly at stores.

And it's a lot cheaper. But I always buy the maps when
still at home, because studying them beforehand is half
the fun. Ah, for the endless hours of pleasure with the
Atlas des Cols!

Next time I'm in France (this coming July), I swear I'm
going to break down and buy their "Streets USA" equivalent.
I didn't feel confident enough to use a French-language
mapping program before, but now that I've had a few lessons
from Madame Marilyn...

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

On Wed, 26 May 2004 03:54:18 GMT, Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
> I didn't feel confident enough to use a French-language
> mapping program before

Huh, isn't a translation just an extra obstacle? ("Pouvez-
vous me dire où sont les Divine Fields?").

On Tue, 25 May 2004 11:41:44 GMT in rec.bicycles.racing, "Roy
Ellefsen" <[email protected]> wrote:

> The only alternative to the Michelin series would be the
> TOP 100 from IGN, formerly known as the "Green Series".
> These cover all of France in a 1:100 000 scale. I don't
> think you should buy these either as the topograhpic
> information makes them more difficult to use as roadmaps.

uhhh... some us want them *because* of the contour info,
especially if we're on a bike!

On Sat, 29 May 2004 16:03:14 -0800, Dennis P. Harris wrote:
>uhhh... some us want them *because* of the contour info,
>especially if we're on a bike!

Michelin prints height above sea level almost everywhere
where it matters, and has a much clearer road map image.

"Dennis P. Harris" <[email protected]> skrev i melding news:p[email protected]...
> On Tue, 25 May 2004 11:41:44 GMT in rec.bicycles.racing,
> "Roy Ellefsen" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > The only alternative to the Michelin series would be the
> > TOP 100 from IGN, formerly known as the "Green Series".
> > These cover all of France in a 1:100 000 scale. I don't
> > think you should buy these either as the topograhpic
> > information makes them more difficult to use as
> > roadmaps.
> >
> uhhh... some us want them *because* of the contour info,
> especially if we're on a bike!

No doubt, we do, but in this particular case I feel that the
TOP 100 IGN maps are less helpfull than the regular Michelin
maps which indicate spot heights, distances and gradients
aplenty. Besides I don't think the OP was going to use the
maps for riding in France.

(OT: IGN Fr topo maps use an IMHO annoying form of relief
shading that makes the print too unclear).

--
Roy Ellefsen