Texan vs. Mexican bicycle racers

The event is, or was, a family tour, not a race.

http://www.matamoros.com/content/view/95/2/

"Con una distancia total de 34 km. Este evento no es de velocidad, es
un paseo familiar donde pueden participar personas de cualquier edad
siempre y cuando se encuentren aptas para cubrir el recorrido."

google translation:

"With a total distance of 34 km. This event is not speed, is a family
promenade where people can participate at any age provided that they
are suitable to cover the trail."

<[email protected]> wrote in message
> The event is, or was, a family tour, not a race.
>
> http://www.matamoros.com/content/view/95/2/
>
> "Con una distancia total de 34 km. Este evento no es de velocidad, es
> un paseo familiar donde pueden participar personas de cualquier edad
> siempre y cuando se encuentren aptas para cubrir el recorrido."
>
> google translation:
>
> "With a total distance of 34 km. This event is not speed, is a family
> promenade where people can participate at any age provided that they
> are suitable to cover the trail."

Hence no following vehicle for protection.

Phil H

In article <[email protected]>,
Ted van de Weteringe <[email protected]> wrote:

> Phil Holman wrote:
> > Hence no following vehicle for protection.

> Worse: there was a lead-out car that swerved out of the way of the
> oncoming car. See photo
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/02/AR200806020334
> 6.html

As a frequent moto-ref, this is about as scary as I can imagine.

The police car does appear to have gotten out of the way.

It's cause for some thought.

If I were the lead car driver, would I 'take one for the team'?

I'm on the motorcycle most of the time, and in that space near the front
quite a bit, so I hope the lead car will do some good.

But if I'm faced with someone approaching and no other recourse, I might
still try to wake him up or deflect him.

Can't see just letting him by.

Mike G.
-

In article <[email protected]>,
Mike G <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> Ted van de Weteringe <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Phil Holman wrote:
> > > Hence no following vehicle for protection.

> > Worse: there was a lead-out car that swerved out of the way of the
> > oncoming car. See photo
> > http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/02/AR2008060203
> > 34
> > 6.html

> As a frequent moto-ref, this is about as scary as I can imagine.
>
> The police car does appear to have gotten out of the way.
>
> It's cause for some thought.
>
> If I were the lead car driver, would I 'take one for the team'?
>
> I'm on the motorcycle most of the time, and in that space near the front
> quite a bit, so I hope the lead car will do some good.
>
> But if I'm faced with someone approaching and no other recourse, I might
> still try to wake him up or deflect him.
>
> Can't see just letting him by.

It's possible that the driver of the lead car simply reacted like one would or
should in a situation of a car heading toward him and swerved out of the way.
Unfortunately that was the worst reaction in this circumstance. A horrible event all
the way around.

--
tanx,
Howard

Whatever happened to
Leon Trotsky?
He got an icepick
That made his ears burn.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

On Jun 4, 1:28 am, Howard Kveck <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
>  Mike G <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > In article <[email protected]>,
> >  Ted van de Weteringe <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Worse: there was a lead-out car that swerved out of the way of the
> > > oncoming car. See photo
> > >http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/02/AR200....
> > > 34
> > > 6.html

> > As a frequent moto-ref, this is about as scary as I can imagine.

> > The police car does appear to have gotten out of the way.

> > It's cause for some thought.

> > If I were the lead car driver, would I 'take one for the team'?

> > I'm on the motorcycle most of the time, and in that space near the front
> > quite a bit, so I hope the lead car will do some good.

> > But if I'm faced with someone approaching and no other recourse, I might
> > still try to wake him up or deflect him.

> > Can't see just letting him by.

>    It's possible that the driver of the lead car simply reacted like one would or
> should in a situation of a car heading toward him and swerved out of the way.
> Unfortunately that was the worst reaction in this circumstance. A horribleevent all
> the way around.
>
> --
>                               tanx,
>                                Howard
>
>                         Whatever happened to
>                         Leon Trotsky?
>                         He got an icepick
>                         That made his ears burn.
>
>                      remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, it's definitely the worst case scenario, all around. I agree
with you Howard that the driver, most likely, just reacted naturally.
Mike knows, and I'm sure you do that experienced drivers, in a race
are worth their weight in gold, at least. I love having the neutral
support guys we have here with th e field I'm with. I know exactly
what they are going to do, know they'll do it right, and they'll help
out with anything I need, and the other way around too.
This is one of the scenarios I've thought about, and like Mike
haven't come to a good answer. You hit the horn, lights, etc, if you
have time, then what? The motor isn't gonna slow a head on down much.
With luck you might make them swerve, that's the best case I guess.
Have had to put the bike between cars and the field in other
situations, and it really sucks when the cops see it and refuse to do
anything. Had that happenwith a car that tried to pass the field, then
tried to cut into the field. Kept between them until he got past the
field and gone. This happened near the start/finish and one of the
cops on traqffic watched the whole thing. His comment was"Lots of
assholes out there". Didn't want the plate number or to even hear
about it.
Bill C

In article <[email protected]>,
Bill C <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Jun 4, 1:28 am, Howard Kveck <[email protected]> wrote:

> >    It's possible that the driver of the lead car simply reacted like one
> > would or should in a situation of a car heading toward him and swerved out of
> > the way. Unfortunately that was the worst reaction in this circumstance. A
> > horrible event all the way around.

> Yeah, it's definitely the worst case scenario, all around. I agree
> with you Howard that the driver, most likely, just reacted naturally.
> Mike knows, and I'm sure you do that experienced drivers, in a race
> are worth their weight in gold, at least. I love having the neutral
> support guys we have here with th e field I'm with. I know exactly
> what they are going to do, know they'll do it right, and they'll help
> out with anything I need, and the other way around too.
> This is one of the scenarios I've thought about, and like Mike
> haven't come to a good answer. You hit the horn, lights, etc, if you
> have time, then what? The motor isn't gonna slow a head on down much.
> With luck you might make them swerve, that's the best case I guess.

On a motorcycle, you really don't have much choice but I think a car would at
least be able to try to deflect the oncoming car. I'm not suggesting that the driver
try for a straight head-on - a hit on one corner would effectively keep the riders
from being mowed down.

> Have had to put the bike between cars and the field in other
> situations, and it really sucks when the cops see it and refuse to do
> anything. Had that happenwith a car that tried to pass the field, then
> tried to cut into the field. Kept between them until he got past the
> field and gone. This happened near the start/finish and one of the
> cops on traqffic watched the whole thing. His comment was"Lots of
> assholes out there". Didn't want the plate number or to even hear
> about it.

Shitty driver, shitty cop. Best of both worlds.

--

On Jun 5, 1:54 am, Howard Kveck <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
>  Bill C <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Jun 4, 1:28 am, Howard Kveck <[email protected]> wrote:
> > >    It's possible that the driver of the lead car simply reacted like one
> > > would or should in a situation of a car heading toward him and swervedout of
> > > the way. Unfortunately that was the worst reaction in this circumstance. A
> > > horrible event all the way around.

> > Yeah, it's definitely the worst case scenario, all around. I agree
> > with you Howard that the driver, most likely, just reacted naturally.
> > Mike knows, and I'm sure you do that experienced drivers, in a race
> > are worth their weight in gold, at least. I love having the neutral
> > support guys we have here with th e field I'm with. I know exactly
> > what they are going to do, know they'll do it right, and they'll help
> > out with anything I need, and the other way around too.
> >  This is one of the scenarios I've thought about, and like Mike
> > haven't come to a good answer. You hit the horn, lights, etc, if you
> > have time, then what? The motor isn't gonna slow a head on down much.
> > With luck you might make them swerve, that's the best case I guess.

>    On a motorcycle, you really don't have much choice but I think a car would at
> least be able to try to deflect the oncoming car. I'm not suggesting that the driver
> try for a straight head-on - a hit on one corner would effectively keep the riders
> from being mowed down.

<<snipped>>

>                               tanx,
>                                Howard
>
>                         Whatever happened to
>                         Leon Trotsky?
>                         He got an icepick
>                         That made his ears burn.
>
>                      remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?- Hide quoted text -

I agree Howard. You've done enough races though to know how hit or
miss getting cars can be, even for bigger events. We've all seen
spectators grabbed, given 5 minutes explanation and put out on the
road, some at their first race. That's always scary.
Fortunately there are great people who built and run the Motorref
program, teaching, and working out there. Makes it a lot easier for us
to have tons of great advice, and reminders, including on race day
most of the time from the real pros at it.
If you're lucky you get drivers who aren't racing that day, and have
driven before, on that course. Our clubs RR has enough climbing in it
that we get a lot of crit racers who are available to drive, and have
done it for years. That's always a great thing.
It's pretty amazing when you think about all the miles logged, with
unfamiliar people mostly, and all the variables that there are as few
incidents as there are at races, and the vast majority of those seem
to come from someone outside the race.
Bill C