tubular gluing tape?

mark75k9

Sep 17, 2005
has anyone had any experience with Tufo tubular tire gluing tape? Is it as good as regular glue or no good at all, or somewhere in between?

mark75k9 said:
has anyone had any experience with Tufo tubular tire gluing tape? Is it as good as regular glue or no good at all, or somewhere in between?
Have only used the Velox tubular tape. Wouldn't use anything else. Haven't used cement(glue) since the mid 80's- It's just too messy! Never had any problems, even with high speed front wheel blowouts. The tyre remains stuck to the rim. Don't know if the Tufo stuff is the same, but I would guess it pretty much is.

mark higgins said:
Have only used the Velox tubular tape. Wouldn't use anything else. Haven't used cement(glue) since the mid 80's- It's just too messy! Never had any problems, even with high speed front wheel blowouts. The tyre remains stuck to the rim. Don't know if the Tufo stuff is the same, but I would guess it pretty much is.
thanks for the tip. where do you get yours from?

mark75k9 said:

Hi Mark

I have used the Tufo extreme tape recently when replacing some tubs. Interestingly one of the tubs was a tufo and the other a conti. The tufo has definitely stuck better and stronger. The Conti was ok but I was a little nervous - it has held however and seems fine. They do specify that the tape is for tufo tyres so maybe the base tape is different. It is bloody easy and clean to use however !

Peter

mark75k9 said:
As I am in the UK I get mine at the LBS. Alternatively I get it when I order tubs. One of the best UK shops is www.ribblecycles.co.uk- they have all I need. I am sure your LBS should be able to order it as it is only £3(5$) or so for a roll to fit 2 tubs.

mark75k9 said:
I have used the regular, not the extream, and found it to be quick and easy to use. Much less fuss and muss than with glue and no waiting 24 hours for it to cure. Go to the Tufo site for a quick time movie of how to install the tape and then a tubular.