Ullrich to Discovery?

The story is based on the article of the "Süddeutsche" that i posted on October 13 in the "Full list" thread. I noticed immeiatly that something was strange about the story. The Süddeutsche online quoted their colleages of the print edition by using a story of the newsagency DPA (see link of my "Full List" post of October 13). The were talking about a meeting of experts so in the car (on our way to the Tour of Lombardi) we discussed who these experts would be... and my colleage said well it's Franke! It's 100% Franke. But i said, no the Süddeutsche alsways qoute Franke when they have information from him. So she said yes, but not this time, remember Franke lost a lawsuit against ullrich and he has to pay 250.000 Euros each time he makes his allegations about payments from Ullrich to Fuentes. So.......... Spiegel-online confirmed on October 14 my coleage was right, it was Franke... Another media storm about nothing........

wolfix said:
This story was just posted in CyclingNews.....

More evidence against Ullrich?

There is more evidence that has come to light against Jan Ullrich in the Operation Puerto, Süddeutsche Zeitung reports. According to the German press agency dpa, the newspaper is basing its charges on the results of a "expert meeting" September in Madrid.

According to the newspaper, the Spanish "are obviously in the position to document Ullrich's visits in Madrid." Allegedly, Ullrich stayed in Madrid hotels many times, mainly in the Hotel "Pio XII", and allegedly the clients of Dr. Eufemiano Fuentes did not even have to identify themselves at the registration. "The system obviously functioned with hotel vouchers," the newspaper reports.

According to the investigators, Ullrich's relationship to Fuentes goes back to 2003, shortly after Ullrich's return to cycling following his six-month suspension for a positive amphetamine test. During the raid on Feuntes' office this spring, a photo of Ullrich, signed and dedicated to the doctor, was said to have been found. In addition, it is alleged that the police observed how two of Fuentes' helpers threw into a trash can two bags of blood labelled "Jan". The bags were taken into custody as evidence.

The paper further reports that the investigators have confirmed previously published financial data. Ullrich is said to have paid a base fee of 60,000 Euros per year, plus two additional payments of 30,000 Euros, for a total of 120,000 Euros annually. The money was not transferred or wired but personally handed over through middlemen.

In addition, Süddeutsche Zeitung claims that Swiss investigators have a DNA sample from Ullrich. After returning from his honeymoon, Ullrich gave the Swiss police a "court-ordered" saliva sample.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
As a fan of the sport , how much of this is to believed? As an American I am not familiar withSüddeutsche Zeitung.

Can I believe the report to be accurate and somewhat grounded in the truth?

cyclingheroes said:
The story is based on the article of the "Süddeutsche" that i posted on October 13 in the "Full list" thread. I noticed immeiatly that something was strange about the story. The Süddeutsche online quoted their colleages of the print edition by using a story of the newsagency DPA (see link of my "Full List" post of October 13). The were talking about a meeting of experts so in the car (on our way to the Tour of Lombardi) we discussed who these experts would be... and my colleage said well it's Franke! It's 100% Franke. But i said, no the Süddeutsche alsways qoute Franke when they have information from him. So she said yes, but not this time, remember Franke lost a lawsuit against ullrich and he has to pay 250.000 Euros each time he makes his allegations about payments from Ullrich to Fuentes. So.......... Spiegel-online confirmed on October 14 my coleage was right, it was Franke... Another media storm about nothing........

First rule of yellow journalism. If you don't have story,make one up or a least add to and manipulate the facts you do have.

MJtje said:
Sporza is quoting Basso as saying he has offers from both Discovery and Milram, but he thinks he fits best with CSC.....

So if it won't work between Riss and Basso, Discovery might get their next armstrong.......
Riis will make it work. It would drive him up a wall to see Discovery start another possible streak of TDF's victories. He knows that Bruyneel knows how to put a winning team on the road in July........

wolfix said:
Riis will make it work. It would drive him up a wall to see Discovery start another possible streak of TDF's victories. He knows that Bruyneel knows how to put a winning team on the road in July........
Ooh no doubt, whoever wins the battle of hiring Basso, will have the next big (GT) champion in their team.....

I don't think Basso would win if he went to Milram. To win the TDf you have to have a united team ...... And Milram's boy is that Italian jet..... I can't see leaving him without a train at the TDF...... Conflict of interest there.

I think the makeup of the team is important. Riis and Bruyneel certaintly know how to develope a winning ride.

I don't believe Basso will go to Stanga (Milram), it would be even better to go to Panaria for Ivan (wildcard for the Giro and a strong team of domestiques - Cuapio..). But he will prefer to go to Disco.

wolfix said:
I don't think Basso would win if he went to Milram. To win the TDf you have to have a united team ...... And Milram's boy is that Italian jet..... I can't see leaving him without a train at the TDF...... Conflict of interest there.

I think the makeup of the team is important. Riis and Bruyneel certaintly know how to develope a winning ride.

MJtje said:
Sporza is quoting Basso as saying he has offers from both Discovery and Milram, but he thinks he fits best with CSC.....

So if it won't work between Riss and Basso, Discovery might get their next armstrong.......

Source: http://www.vrtnieuws.net/nieuwsnet_master/versie2/sporza/nnII_sporza_start/index.shtml

When you look at the original L'Equipe story (which is the source for various other descriptions), the French version says that Basso has had discussions with DC and Milram. It's not clear he has offers from the story, although I don't doubt DC and Milram have given him offers.

musette said:
When you look at the original L'Equipe story (which is the source for various other descriptions), the French version says that Basso has had discussions with DC and Milram. It's not clear he has offers from the story, although I don't doubt DC and Milram have given him offers.
Milram said this evening they won't sign Basso

I have this direct from the German Milram press officer who i know personally (Milram has an Italian and a German press officer)

steve said:
This puts an interesting twist on things!
Maybe this newly added, old pic from Jan's website is a sign of things to come...

Jan_StarsStripes.jpg

:)

whiteboytrash said:
I think this new pic recently taken in Switzerland tells a story....
Very nice weather there for this time of year... I'd say global warming is taking it's toll.

Jan Ullrich splits with his long-time physiotherapist Birgit Krohme after five years together. (Bild)

whiteboytrash said:
Jan Ullrich splits with his long-time physiotherapist Birgit Krohme after five years together. (Bild)
Yes and the spculation is that he won't be riding again.

wicklow200 said:
Yes and the spculation is that he won't be riding again.

He may not be racing again, but he will be riding and involved in cycling ,if he be.

cyclingheroes said:
Milram said this evening they won't sign Basso

I have this direct from the German Milram press officer who i know personally (Milram has an Italian and a German press officer)

CH: I asked Tobias to pass on best wishes and regards to Andreas. He is not attended as he is celebrating his childrens birthdays this week but said would pass along the message.

jhuskey said:
CH: I asked Tobias to pass on best wishes and regards to Andreas. He is not attended as he is celebrating his childrens birthdays this week but said would pass along the message.
@ jhuskey: I know some people will go to the church on Saturday with banners to congatulate Andreas and show messages of support to Jan

Bild features photos of former Tour de France winner Jan Ullrich at 80 kilograms, or 7-kilograms overweight from his racing form. (Bild)

whiteboytrash said:
Bild features photos of former Tour de France winner Jan Ullrich at 80 kilograms, or 7-kilograms overweight from his racing form. (Bild)
he do not look fat to me.. but he has gain som kilograms...