Why do folks need to believe Armstrong

bobke said:
You must be happy that your Aussie boy was doped to the gills and pulled off another CSC trouncing of the field. When the tables are turned, now what will you say? Stuey was clean? He was gonna be Basso's roomie at teh Tour de france last year? CSC is one of the biggest doper teams in the peloton. Why should anyone believe that O'Grady was clean, pulling away solo against Flecha in the chase group and Boonen in the peloton? Unbelievable to many. Unpredicted by all, like FLanders.
By crikey you are so stupid it hurts.

In case you haven't noticed, I think they pretty much all dope!!!
Including riders from Australia!!!

It is only gullible fools like you and House that think riders from your own country are the exception to the rule.

House said:
While Bobke is obviously on the same level of obsession and intelligence as people like patch, WBT, etc. and thus generally only good for a laugh

correct me if I am wrong House, but you coach community college women's soccer for a living, Bobke is a doc, so he had some academic wit about him to get thru med school. Bobke just acts an idiot, and has some deep agenda, perhaps a cognitive dissonance. You my friend, are a fricken idiot, the Village Idiot who has never come up trumps in any argument on the DP forums for a few thousand posts. That makes you a fool.

Don't criticise Patch dude, have a look in the mirror. Go and do some scouting and recruiting high school girls for your two bit soccer program dude.

I can't believe that a thread with the name Lance attached to it has references to doping and has degenerated to discourse and bickering.
This is truly a first.
BTW: Nice weather here and my legs are tired from riding one of those EPO powered two wheelers.Of course I am not running premium fuel only low octane= beer.

thunder said:
Don't criticise Patch dude, have a look in the mirror. Go and do some scouting and recruiting high school girls for your two bit soccer program dude.
Hey! I thought I was Dude today???:mad:

lw

lwedge said:
Hey! I thought I was Dude today???:mad:

lw

Speaking of the Dude...

Where's the money, Lebowsky?

I dunno man. It's gotta be down there somewhere. Let me look again.

thunder said:
Why do some folks, let's face it, mostly Americans, need to believe that he was clean.

I will posit some possibilities.

1. He actually was clean, they are right.

2. They suspect he doped, but feel a process determines opinion versus an individual

3. Vicarious, they aspire to the alpha status only in their dreams is it manifested

4. Nationalism, existential collective culture of America, that creates adversaries where there are none, and attempts to place things in black-white categories like good and evil. Armstrong is a representative of America giving it to the old world countries who no longer have influence as far as yankees are concerned. A metaphor if you will.

5. American dream, born out of the collective culture again. Note: Barry Bonds and Marian Jones and tim Montgomery are less likely to get their dues in this paradigm, strictly for the boy next door done good(sic). This channels many facets of (3) yet is more an external influence on the individual versus endogenous.

6. Cannot separate the cancer philanthropy and the sport.

7. Similar to (2/6) suspect he doped but the means justify ends wrt the good done for cancer community.

America is not the only country that likes to believe their heroes are clean and not doped, and only the former Communist bloc and the People's Republic dope. They are not the only country to hold heroes on a pedestal. But there has been a paucity of investigative journalism in the popular media and the NT Times has only taken to associate wire reporting of the Armstrong issue. Does big business have a stake in this?

Nationalistic fervour. Criticise LA and you attack the USA (god bless them).