Your Online Store Choices?

bajadock

Feb 17, 2010
Saw the post for Cycle Clothing And Cycling Accessories From Probikekit.
My needs are for bike accessories and clothing as I continue my bike conditioning comeback. Prefer U.S. west coast to minimize shipping costs/time to get to my San Diego mail location.

What are your favorite online sources for accessories and clothing? Thanks in advance for your referrals.

bajadock said:
My needs are for bike accessories and clothing as I continue my bike conditioning comeback. Prefer U.S. west coast to minimize shipping costs/time to get to my San Diego mail location.

What are your favorite online sources for accessories and clothing? Thanks in advance for your referrals.

Nashbar is a good one. Good deals, good quality items and a very good return policy. The only problem would be is the fact that it's based in Ohio (I think).
Bike Nashbar - Always a Great Deal on Cycling

Wiggle, Chain Reaction Cycles and Merlin in the UK. Excellent turn around, and Merlin's wheels are what built the company's reputation.

teenroadwarrior said:
Nashbar is a good one. Good deals, good quality items and a very good return policy. The only problem would be is the fact that it's based in Ohio (I think).
Bike Nashbar - Always a Great Deal on Cycling

Just got a pair of bib knicks, long-finger gloves, arm warmers, and booties from Nashbar for $72, shipping included.

The knicks aren't the "best" quality-wise, but they're OK and you can't beat those prices.

Chavez said:
Just got a pair of bib knicks, long-finger gloves, arm warmers, and booties from Nashbar for $72, shipping included.

The knicks aren't the "best" quality-wise, but they're OK and you can't beat those prices.

Did you buy the Nashbar brand knicks?

Ranked in order:

1) Performance Bike

2) Nashbar

3) Loose Screws

I usually go through Performance Bike because they have a retail store located close to where I live and I can have them ship to this store and avoid shipping costs. There is a Performance Bike store in San Diego at:
3619 Midway Dr.
Point Loma Plaza
San Diego, CA 92110
619-223-5415

Call them and check out thier policies for having on-line orders shipped to the store and then picked up.

64Paramount said:
Did you buy the Nashbar brand knicks?
Santini. Capsule review is they fit fine and are comfy; the chamois has a bit of a wonky fit but nothing that results in discomfort. For the current price of $20 it's a pretty great deal.

Chavez said:
Santini. Capsule review is they fit fine and are comfy; the chamois has a bit of a wonky fit but nothing that results in discomfort. For the current price of $20 it's a pretty great deal.

Yes, that's a good price!

Thanks...

I'm in San Diego as well. I use Performance (there are several stores in the SD area as well, I've been to the Kearny Mesa store which is very good); I also have bought stuff from Velogear.com (ships from Sacramento) for general stuff; ProCycleGear.com (ships from Santa Rosa, CA) for clearance pro team shorts and jerseys; and Tri-Zone.com (ships from LA) for stuff like replacement cleats, GU gels, cross-training gear, and other odds and ends.

bajadock said:

Just so you know, Probike kit generally (always in my experience) ships free to the US. I've ordered several times and it takes 7 days or less from the day of order, and I live on the west coast.

So, cost, and probably time, are not considerations to San Diego.

Performance was my go-to online store UNTIL this week. I'm two states away and four light weight summer jerseys (their brand) took over 7 days to receive with a $10.99 s&h charge. I questioned the glacial delivery and was told that they allow 10 - 12 days. When a vendor tries to make a profit on shipping charges I go elsewhere. Back to Nashbar.

I have purchased quite a few things from Nashbar. Some of their "specials" are truly amazing. I've also owned one of their road bikes, which I found to be both a great ride and a great value. I've purchased items at one of Performance's shops, and was quite pleased. Another place I've found to have great pricing on certain items is Niagara Cycle Works... -- Bicycles, Bike parts, Mountain Bikes, BMX, Road Bikes, Haro Bikes, KHS Bikes, Felt Bikes at Niagara Cycle Works I also still like to stop in at the LBS every now and then.

I've recently (4th qtr of 2012) placed a couple of orders from Performance after reading this tread and NOT RECOMMEND the site. Their shipping and customer service regarding it are horrible; overnight shipping order placed on Wed night came on Monday, after FIVE business days. It should've came Fri or latest on Sat. The worst part of it that the customer service doesn't even want to talk about this. All they really tell you is ... "it is what it is. Suck it"
Haven't tried Nashbar but that would be my next try.

I typically use Google Shopping to find the best prices on whatever it is I'm looking for. Recently I've purchased many things through Amazon, which has sometimes included order fulfillment by 3rd party vendors.

• Amazon - always a good experience for items sold directly from Amazon
  • BikeSomeWhere - very disappointed; slow shipping; poor customer service; out of stock and forced to swap out something else; failed to honor my request for order cancellation
  • Brands Cycle and Fitness - received shipment 3 calendar days after ordering ... excellent
  • Headsweats - good experiences
  • HDO Sport - slow initial order processing, but good after that
  • Louis Garneau - Not only am I blown away with the quality of their apparel, but also their customer service
  • Performance - usually a good experience, I was surprised to hear of your difficulty with them. Are you in Team Performance? Helps on shipping. Have to say though that I'm finding better quality and pricing elsewhere now.
  • Primal - overall a good experience
  • Real Cyclist - good experiences, both through Amazon and directly
  • Running Warehouse - great prices, average shipping

Bonktown (Back Country), Real Cyclist, Sun and Ski, REI. Had a bad experience with Nashbar (security breach) so unfortunately will never buy from them again.

I've bought a fair amount of stuff from Competitive Cyclist and have always found their service to be great and prices reasonable. Their "no questions asked" returns policy is second to none.