02 Bianchi Giro vs. 02 Fuji Roubaix

Dan Smith

Guest
I'm in the market for a new road bike and would like to spend under $1000. The Bianchi Giro is $869
at Supergo and the Fuji Roubaix is $895 at bikesdirect.com. Looking for opinions on comparing these
two bikes as they are both highly rated on roadbikereview.com and similarly priced.

"Dan Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:LJCpa.2864$%[email protected]...
> I'm in the market for a new road bike and would like to spend under $1000. The Bianchi Giro is
> $869 at Supergo and the Fuji Roubaix is $895 at bikesdirect.com. Looking for opinions on comparing
> these two bikes as
they
> are both highly rated on roadbikereview.com and similarly priced.

I think that's a pretty spectacular price for the Bianchi. The price for the Fuji is reasonable.
There's more cachet to the Bianchi name, but really when you come down to it the two bikes are
pretty similar: aluminum frames, carbon forks with alloy steerers, 105 components, factory built
pre-fab wheelsets.

Since the Supergo offer is in-store only, presumably you can go there and try the bike, get it
fitted, make sure it suits you. That would give the Bianchi the nod over buying a bike mail order
that you haven't test-ridden.

RichC

"Dan Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<LJCpa.2864$%[email protected]>...
> I'm in the market for a new road bike and would like to spend under $1000. The Bianchi Giro is
> $869 at Supergo and the Fuji Roubaix is $895 at bikesdirect.com. Looking for opinions on comparing
> these two bikes as they are both highly rated on roadbikereview.com and similarly priced.

Bianchi all the way.. Rememember you are also buying history in a Bianchi

yes, I know "bike nazi"

islandtime

>Bianchi all the way.. Rememember you are also buying history in a Bianchi

That is a great price he quoted. Noemally the Giro is $1495. I found it to ride well for aluminum
and the shimano paired spoke wheels were nice. It may be difficult to fit larger tires as there is
little clearance. The Roubaix also rides well but seems less substantial. Find a Fuji dealer , ride
both and pick one. Supergo at one time had blowouts on Lemond Buenos Aires for like $999 or so. That
would be the best choice at that price.

Thanks for the replies.

I also found the Roubaix Pro (Reynolds 853) for $1050 at Performance Bike. So I'm going to consider
it as well since everyone seems to think steel is better.

I haven't been able to locate a 02 Giro locally to test ride so it would be a total leap of faith to
by one (from supergo). Any suggestions?

"Dan Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:Njeqa.3461$%[email protected]...
> Thanks for the replies.
>
> I also found the Roubaix Pro (Reynolds 853) for $1050 at Performance Bike. So I'm going to
> consider it as well since everyone seems to think steel is better.

I have an '02 Roubaix Pro, and it's a fine ride. Comes with a double, not a triple like the Roubaix
and the Giro, or at least that was so in '02.

> I haven't been able to locate a 02 Giro locally to test ride so it would
be
> a total leap of faith to by one (from supergo). Any suggestions?

How were you planning on getting one from Supergo, then? It's listed as "in-store only."

RichC

They give a phone number on their site so you can order the bike directly from their Santa Monica,
CA store. Haven't gotten anyone to answer the phone yet, however.

"Rich Clark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Dan Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:Njeqa.3461$%[email protected]...
> > Thanks for the replies.
> >
> > I also found the Roubaix Pro (Reynolds 853) for $1050 at Performance
Bike.
> > So I'm going to consider it as well since everyone seems to think steel
is
> > better.
>
> I have an '02 Roubaix Pro, and it's a fine ride. Comes with a double, not
> triple like the Roubaix and the Giro, or at least that was so in '02.
>
> > I haven't been able to locate a 02 Giro locally to test ride so it would
> be
> > a total leap of faith to by one (from supergo). Any suggestions?
>
> How were you planning on getting one from Supergo, then? It's listed as "in-store only."
>
> RichC

"Dan Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:T_fqa.3484$%[email protected]...
> They give a phone number on their site so you can order the bike directly from their Santa Monica,
> CA store. Haven't gotten anyone to answer the phone yet, however.

I see. They say "Please note, these bikes are shipped in "dealer-ready" condition." This isn't the
same as retail mail-order, where the bikes are (supposedly) assembled, lubed, adjusted, and
test-ridden, and then disassembled just enough to ship it. Rather, it's a bike that needs a degree
of experience (especially with wheel tensioning and truing) and proper tools to prepare it as it
should be. Bikes like this can be a bargain if you have the time and resources (and it fits you and
the stock stem and bars and crank length are correct). If not, and you plan to take it to a bike
shop for assembly and adjustment, make sure the shop in question will actually agree to do it
(there's a better than average chance that a local Bianchi dealer will refuse to touch it), and how
much they'll charge.

I'd also be sure the warranty terms are clear before purchasing.

RichC

Oh, and one more thing. There's a discrepancy in the Supergo listing (the text refers to "18 speed,"
but the specs list a 105 triple). The Giro was available with both a double and a triple, so if you
do order one it'd probably be a good idea to confirm which version it is.

RichC