1/8 of an inch difference in saddle height.

BlueJersey

Jan 5, 2005
Call me crazy but I recently discovered that even an 1/8 of an inch I can tell the difference. I have been experimenting various saddle heights. I discovered that at 28" I almost felt as if I didn't have enough leg extension. The plus side is that my spin is much powerful and faster. I almost feel less tired. I was able to throw around the bike much easier and quicker. I was able to sprint seated on the bike even without actually sitting on the saddle. However, there is this nagging feeling and sensation that my legs didn't have enough extension.

If I raise the saddle to another 1/8 of an inch, I feel my legs do have enough extension, just perfect. However, I feel that I begin to pull up much sooner and didn't feel like my spin have enough snap into it. Pedal strokes almost become very laborous. Noticing more pressure onto my sit bones.

My old habit is telling me to stick with 28" and 1/8 but it does seem at 28" I get more out of it despite, maybe, my legs do not have that much extension.

Thoughts or comments????

BlueJersey said:
Call me crazy but I recently discovered that even an 1/8 of an inch I can tell the difference. I have been experimenting various saddle heights. I discovered that at 28" I almost felt as if I didn't have enough leg extension. The plus side is that my spin is much powerful and faster. I almost feel less tired. I was able to throw around the bike much easier and quicker. I was able to sprint seated on the bike even without actually sitting on the saddle. However, there is this nagging feeling and sensation that my legs didn't have enough extension.

If I raise the saddle to another 1/8 of an inch, I feel my legs do have enough extension, just perfect. However, I feel that I begin to pull up much sooner and didn't feel like my spin have enough snap into it. Pedal strokes almost become very laborous. Noticing more pressure onto my sit bones.

My old habit is telling me to stick with 28" and 1/8 but it does seem at 28" I get more out of it despite, maybe, my legs do not have that much extension.

Thoughts or comments????

I've changed my saddle height three times last summer, getting a little better performance each time. I had changed it last year too, but now it's considerably better. Last time I changed it my saddle was too high and now finally I've gotten the excessive calf soreness to go away.

-Bikeguy

You will adapt to anything. Even the smallest adjustments feel huge at first, but after a week or so, the old height will feel strange.

I have been anywhere from 84cm to a now new low of 72cm and everything in between. I had different reasons for all the many different positions I rode with, but never rode much better in any single one of them.

Proving my first statement, "you'll adapt to anything".

Besides the small difference in saddle height, and the already mentioned fore-aft adjustment, small changes in cleat position will also be readily noticed.