105 lever problem

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Steve Juniper, May 10, 2003.

  1. This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

    ------=_NextPart_000_0050_01C3170C.766542E0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

    My left 105 lever sometimes (like every 60 miles in hilly terrain, = shifting a lot) doesn't
    shift from big to middle chainring. I feel a = smaller than usual click but that's all. I push
    it back the other way = and try several more times, then jiggle the cable. Finally it shifts and
    = is OK for quite a while. Got about 4000 miles on bike. Local bike shop = couldn't find
    anything wrong (of course, worked flawlessly for them). = Said maybe worn and unit would need
    replacing.=20 Is it true that these things can't be fixed? I mean, it works fine = almost all of
    the time (of course, seems to pick awkward times to block = my downshift!). If so is where would
    be a good place to buy a single = lever set? It's at the shop now and I'd like to get some sense
    of = options... --=20 Steve Juniper ([email protected]) Berkeley, California

    "Those who are willing to sacrifice a little freedom for greater = security deserve neither."
    =
    -- Benjamin Franklin

    ------=_NextPart_000_0050_01C3170C.766542E0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1"

    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META
    http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; = charset=3Diso-8859-1"> <META content=3D"MSHTML
    6.00.2800.1141" name=3DGENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
    <DIV> My left 105 lever sometimes (like every 60 miles = in=20 hilly terrain,
    shifting a lot) doesn't shift from big to middle = chainring. I=20 feel a smaller than usual
    click but that's all. I push it back the other = way and=20 try several more times, then
    jiggle the cable. Finally it shifts and is = OK for=20 quite a while. Got about 4000 miles on
    bike. Local bike shop couldn't = find=20 anything wrong (of course, worked flawlessly for
    them). Said maybe worn = and unit=20 would need replacing. </DIV>
    <DV> Is it true that these things can't be fixed? I = mean, it=20 works fine
    almost all of the time (of course, seems to pick awkward = times to=20 block my downshift!).
    If so is where would be a good place to buy a = single lever=20 set? It's at the shop now and
    I'd like to get some sense of = options...<BR>--=20 <BR>Steve Juniper (<A=20
    href=3D"mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</A>)<BR>Berkele= y,=20
    California</DIV>
    <DVI> </DIV>
    <DVII> "Those who are willing to sacrifice a = little=20 freedom for greater
    security deserve=20 neither."<BR> =
    &=
    nbsp; &n=
    bsp; &nb=
    sp; &nbs=
    p; &nbsp=
    ; =20 -- Benjamin Franklin<BR></DIV></BODY></HTML>

    ------=_NextPart_000_0050_01C3170C.766542E0--

    Tags:

  2. Andymorris

    Andymorris Guest

    Steve Juniper wrote:
    > My left 105 lever sometimes (like every 60 miles in hilly terrain, shifting a lot) doesn't
    > shift from big to middle chainring. I feel a smaller than usual click but that's all. I push
    > it back the other way and try several more times, then jiggle the cable. Finally it shifts and
    > is OK for quite a while. Got about 4000 miles on bike. Local bike shop couldn't find anything
    > wrong (of course, worked flawlessly for them). Said maybe worn and unit would need replacing.
    > Is it true that these things can't be fixed? I mean, it works fine almost all of the time (of
    > course, seems to pick awkward times to block my downshift!). If so is where would be a good
    > place to buy a single lever set? It's at the shop now and I'd like to get some sense of
    > options...

    Have you checked that the cable is running thru the casing and under the bottom bracket nice
    and smoothly?

    --
    Andy Morris

    AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

  3. This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

    ------=_NextPart_000_0067_01C31711.771EDCA0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

    Before ditching the lever, try the wonderfully-magical PowerLube = (available at finer auto-parts
    stores everywhere!) fix. Flush the lever = with the stuff (aim it down where the cable end comes
    out of the lever = when you replace the cable), work the lever a bit, and see if it might = come
    back to life. Many levers have been saved that way, and the "fix" = is often times good for a very
    long time.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles www.ChainReaction.com "Steve Juniper" <[email protected]> wrote
    in message = news:[email protected]... My left 105 lever sometimes (like every 60

    ------=_NextPart_000_0067_01C31711.771EDCA0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1"

    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META
    http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; = charset=3Diso-8859-1"> <META content=3D"MSHTML
    6.00.2800.1170" name=3DGENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Before ditching the lever, try the=20 wonderfully-magical
    PowerLube (available at finer auto-parts stores=20 everywhere!) fix. Flush the
    lever with the stuff (aim it down = where=20 the cable end comes out of the lever when you
    replace the cable), work = the lever=20 a bit, and see if it might come back to life.
    Many levers have = been saved=20 that way, and the "fix" is often times good for a very long
    = time.</FONT></DIV>
    <DV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
    <DVI><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>--Mike--</FONT></DIV>
    <DVII><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Chain Reaction Bicycles</FONT></DIV>
    <DVIII><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
    href=3D"http://www.ChainReaction.com">www.ChainReaction.com</A></FONT></D=

    <BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20 style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; =
    <DIX>"Steve Juniper" <<A=20 href=3D"mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</A>>
    = wrote in=20 message <A=20
    =
    href=3D"news:[email protected]">news:Hqfva.803521$L1.22918= [email protected]</A>...</DIV>
    <DX> My left 105 lever sometimes (like every 60 = miles in=20 hilly terrain,
    shifting a lot) doesn't shift from big to middle = chainring. I=20 feel a smaller than
    usual click but that's all. I push it back the = other way=20 and try several more times,
    then jiggle the cable. Finally it shifts = and is OK=20 for quite a while. Got about 4000
    miles on bike. Local bike shop = couldn't find=20 anything wrong (of course, worked
    flawlessly for them). Said maybe = worn and=20 unit would need replacing. </DIV>
    <DXI> Is it true that these things can't be fixed? I = mean,=20 it works fine
    almost all of the time (of course, seems to pick awkward = times=20 to block my
    downshift!). If so is where would be a good place to buy a = single=20 lever set? It's at
    the shop now and I'd like to get some sense of=20 options...<BR>-- <BR>Steve Juniper (<A=20
    =
    href=3D"mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</A>)<BR>Berkele= y,=20 California</DIV>
    <DXII> </DIV>
    <DXIII> "Those who are willing to sacrifice a = little=20 freedom for
    greater security deserve=20
    =
    neither."<BR> =
    &=
    nbsp; &n=
    bsp; &nb=
    sp; &nbs=
    p; &nbsp= ; =20 --
    Benjamin Franklin<BR></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

    ------=_NextPart_000_0067_01C31711.771EDCA0--

  4. Steve-<< My left 105 lever sometimes (like every 60 miles in hilly terrain, = shifting a lot)
    doesn't shift from big to middle chainring. I feel a = smaller than usual click but that's all. I
    push it back the other way = and try several more times, then jiggle the cable

    << Is it true that these things can't be fixed?

    Correct, Almost impossible to take apart and reconstruct but no small parts available anyway
    from shimano.

    << If so is where would be a good place to buy a single = lever set? It's at the shop now and I'd
    like to get some sense of = options...

    May try flushing with 'STI repair kit', WD-40, but Quality Bike Parts, a distributor, sells single
    STI levers.

  5. Billcotton

    Billcotton Guest

    > > it shifts and is OK for quite a while. Got about 4000 miles on bike.
    How long you have the bicycle, By all means flush the units with either of the fluids mention
    previous replies, WD40 or Powerlube. Shimano warranty this unit for two years, however, my unit was
    replaced and it was more than four years old. Contact Shimano via their webpage or at this phone
    number 949 951 5003 X 2900. I have taken the right level apart and drilled a hole so as to get more
    tension from the old spring. http://www.billcotton.com/sti_shifter_repair.htm since the parts or the
    aren't available from Shimano.

    --
    // Bill Cotton: Latitude N40° 03.756' W75° 06.192' / / Phone 215 663-8363 Data 215 663-8364 //
    [email protected] [email protected] // [email protected] [email protected] //

    "AndyMorris" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Steve Juniper wrote:
    > > My left 105 lever sometimes (like every 60 miles in hilly terrain, shifting a lot) doesn't
    > > shift from big to middle chainring. I feel a smaller than usual click but that's all. I push
    > > it back the other way and try several more times, then jiggle the cable. Finally it shifts
    > > and is OK for quite a while. Got about 4000 miles on bike. Local bike shop couldn't find
    > > anything wrong (of course, worked flawlessly for them). Said maybe worn and unit would need
    > > replacing. Is it true that these things can't be fixed? I mean, it works fine almost all of
    > > the time (of course, seems to pick awkward times to block my downshift!). If so is where
    > > would be a good place to buy a single lever set? It's at the shop now and I'd like to get
    > > some sense of options...
    >
    > Have you checked that the cable is running thru the casing and under the bottom bracket nice and
    > smoothly?
    >
    > --
    > Andy Morris
    >
    > AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK
    >

    > Love this: Put an end to Outlook Express's messy quotes

  6. Harris

    Harris Guest

    Steve Juniper <[email protected]> wrote:
    > My left 105 lever sometimes (like every 60 miles in hilly terrain, = shifting a lot) doesn't
    > shift from big to middle chainring. I feel a = smaller than usual click but that's all. I push
    > it back the other way =

    > If so is where would be a good place to buy a single = lever set? It's at the shop now and I'd
    > like to get some sense of = options...

    The right side tends to fail more often, and most folks buy a pair since the price isn't much
    different. So there should be lots of left side levers around. Try eBay.

    Art Harris

  7. Karl

    Karl Guest

    These levers are really poor. They last for 6 months then rattle themselves to death.

    Be careful of lubing, these units are held together with screws that are coated in a thread lock.
    After I lubed my right unit, the screw holding the two levers together came loose every 5 miles and
    it wouldn't shift. Eventually it dropped out all together and now it rattles like crazy.

    I heard that the Ultegra levers suffer the same problem. This is one reason why Shimano have changed
    their 105 design for 2003.