165mm MTB cranksets?

nerdag

Dec 12, 2004
Can anybody recommend an inexpensive 165mm MTB crankset?

The best i can find is XT hollowtech II. None of the lower end Shimano ones are made that short, AFAIK. None of the other manufacturers seem to make them that short either, but I haven't had a good look.

I've seen Sugino XD sets, but they are 110mm bcd and square taper - I'd prefer 104/64mm bcd and hollowtech (or simlar)/ISIS or even octalink, if possible. Willing to compromise if the price is good enough, however.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Many thanks,

n

I have just been through several lists, Sugino from Greenspeed, Vic, is about it for me. :eek:

A wildcard: Shimano FC-4550-S FRONT CRANKSET COMPACT 50-34 165mm. ;)

Thanks for the info, George.

Does anybody know if it is possible to retrofit a DH/FR 165mm crankset with 22/32/BashGuard with an outer 44 chainring?

The specs on most manufacturer's websites don't say what the BCD of the bash guard is, but it looks like it should be 104mm.

It would be heavy, but it looks like it may be an inexpensive way to make it work.

Can anybody confirm?

Cheers,

n

nerdag said:
Thanks for the info, George.

Does anybody know if it is possible to retrofit a DH/FR 165mm crankset with 22/32/BashGuard with an outer 44 chainring?

The specs on most manufacturer's websites don't say what the BCD of the bash guard is, but it looks like it should be 104mm.

It would be heavy, but it looks like it may be an inexpensive way to make it work.

Can anybody confirm?

Cheers,

n
Should be 100% possible.