2010 Vuelta: Strong start list

pennstater

May 5, 2010
Vuelta often gathers strong names, but with different goals and ambitions.
Very difficult to determine who'll ride it to win (from the list of TDF contenders). Even F.Schleck could take it easy, although it's his last GT chance this season. Menchov could have a solid showing because of his history in the race.
I'm not sure about Liquigas' duo... Nibali looks like the type who cares more about the Tour and the Giro, and Kreuziger doesn't look like he's hit the form this season, but potential Astana contract could motivate him.
This Vuelta could have been good opportunity for Sastre, but after Giro and Tour ridden with GC ambitions, I'm not sure he has enough energy left for Vuelta.
Joaquin Rodriguez, Igor Anton, Mozquera, Caisse leader (Arroyo or Sanchez), are the riders who should perform well. Samuel Sanchez (if starts) will ride for victory, he's that kind of rider.
Vuelta is funny race. Interesting route, good line- up, but at the end of season, with many tired riders with not exceptionally high motivation.

Andrija said:
Vuelta is funny race. Interesting route, good line- up, but at the end of season, with many tired riders with not exceptionally high motivation.

I've always* felt that the Vuelta kinda draws, for the most part, "could-bes" and "never-weres"; it's Grand Tour Lite, for the most part.

I'm certainly not saying that it's a bunch of stiffs - after all, the Vuelta will generally draw a field that is NOT quite as good as the Tour or Giro (then again, what does?), but it usually is a cut above any other multi-day event - but if a rider isn't quite in the elite class but still a cut above, it's a good spot for him to focus his efforts on getting a coveted Grand Tour win for his palmares.

Charles Pelkey says it's his favorite to cover, because the Tour is insane; the Giro isn't the Tour, but is also insane; the Vuelta is a bit less crowded and a lot more laidback. Obviously, given the opportunity, I'd LOOOVE to see the Tour, but I'd like to take the time to check out a Vuelta at some point as well.

* - "always" meaning in the 4 or 5 years I've closely followed pro cycling

Personally, I'm rooting for Euskaltel/Sanchez. Sammy rode better than I thought possible in the TdF, and winning the Vuelta on the heels of his Tour effort would be a good way to get rid of the mild "only won gold because everyone else was marking Cancellara" stigma he has.

Chavez said:
Personally, I'm rooting for Euskaltel/Sanchez. Sammy rode better than I thought possible in the TdF, and winning the Vuelta on the heels of his Tour effort would be a good way to get rid of the mild "only won gold because everyone else was marking Cancellara" stigma he has.

This is a tough one to call. I don't see Sanchez on the start list, but I would think after finishing 2nd last year he would want to ride this year's vuelta. Menchov obviously likes this race and bested Sanchez in the Tour to grab a podium position. I think Nibali will be fresh and he is a decent time trialist; he is also my pick to win this race. Not sure what the Schlecks will do, but I think they have overall ambitions, and if not could find themselves in positions to finish high because of their talent. I think Sastre will struggle after riding the giro and tour this year, but who knows. A lot of other dangerous riders though.

event sponsors with american markets should be outraged by the non inclusion of the best team in the sport. i've already given some of them an earful.

i hate to say it but i won't be watching. why should i? as an amercian they insulted me.

jackhammer111 said:
event sponsors with american markets should be outraged by the non inclusion of the best team in the sport. i've already given some of them an earful.

i hate to say it but i won't be watching. why should i? as an amercian they insulted me.

I'm ****** I can't see Brajkovic race in the Vuelta this year. But RS isn't the best team in the sport, although they should have gotten a spot in the race over Xacobeo-Galicia.

jackhammer111 said:

Don't stress, Astana will be on the start line!

steve said:
Don't stress, Astana will be on the start line!

I'd probably rank Saxo as the best team in the sport.

As far as AMERICAN teams, I'd have to say I rank HTC a bit above Garmin, but they're both racing so I don't know jackhammer's issue. He must really like Cadel and George riding for BMC.

Chavez said:
I'd probably rank Saxo as the best team in the sport.

As far as AMERICAN teams, I'd have to say I rank HTC a bit above Garmin, but they're both racing so I don't know jackhammer's issue. He must really like Cadel and George riding for BMC.

i didn't mean to start a pissing match over what team is, arguably, the best. i was just emphasizing the absurdity of RadioShack not being invited.

as a fan, when you look at who they were going to send, you should be outraged to be deprived of seeing these great riders complete in one of the pillars of the sport.

there needs to be some way to get the organizers of the 3 tours to quit acting like these events are like their own personal little club races. the athletes and sponsors deserve better.

jackhammer111 said:
as a fan, when you look at who they were going to send, you should be outraged to be deprived of seeing these great riders complete in one of the pillars of the sport.

there needs to be some way to get the organizers of the 3 tours to quit acting like these events are like their own personal little club races. the athletes and sponsors deserve better.

as a fan, i am not in the least outraged. frankly, this drama was played out a few months ago when radioshack's crocodile tears flowed over their exclusion. as for the last point, uci tried to strongarm the three g.t.'s a few years ago (2008/09?) to toe the uci line. aso most prominently told the uci that the tdf existed long before the uci and would, in all actuality, exist long after the uci should they persist in the pissing match.

pennstater said:
I'm starting to really look forward to the Vuelta this year. Seems like this year's final grand tour is featuring some bigger names than it usually does. The Schlecks w/Cancellara, Sastre, Nibali, Menchov, Kreuziger, Rodriguez and possibly Ricco. Looks like Cav, Pettachi, Hushovd, Farrar, and Dean will be bumping shoulders on the sprinters stages.

Vuelta A España Start List | Cyclingnews.com

Sastre To Take On Schlecks, Menchov And Nibali At The Vuelta | Cyclingnews.com

just a quick one for you when does it start:confused:

While doing a search to see whom, exactly, RS was purportedly going to send (apparently Leipheimer, Horner, Kloden, and Brajkovic), I stumbled across this article which is a pretty nice breakdown of the hows and whys of RS non-invite to the Vuelta. (I chopped it a bit for length)

If there’s one thing most people agreed on in the aftermath of Unipublic’s refusal to grant RadioShack an invitation to the Tour of Spain, it’s that the stated reason - not a strong enough roster - was B.S.

Fact: Unipublic is 49 percent owned by the Amaury Sports Organization, which runs the Tour de France.

Fact: RadioShack has a higher UCI ranking (8th after Janez Brajkovic’s Dauphine win, up from 14th before that) than four of the teams granted discretionary invites: Xacobeo-Galicia and Andalucia-CajaSur for certain, but also Garmin (15th) and Sky (17th).

Fact: The ASO had already invited RadioShack and BMC to participate in the Tour de France long before Landis’ allegations were made public. That invitation is not an informal gesture; it’s a binding legal contract that is not easily rescinded.

Fact: the ASO has made a habit of not inviting teams and racers to Grand Tours who are under investigation for doping.

Fact: Politics has played a role in many a past selection at the Grand Tours. Spain has three ProTour level teams (as recently as 2004 they had five Division I teams). And only two Spanish teams race on the Pro Continental level that makes them eligible for wild-card selection. What do you know, both got picked. And to make room for those two spots, some teams got flicked.

Add it all up and it suggests that the real reason that RadioShack was excluded was a combination of the criminal investigation and good old-fashioned jingoism.

A final fact:
The ASO is far from consistent about this sort of thing. Although it too was subject to a scandal in 2007, Rabobank was not barred from the 2008 Tour. Even this year, even at the Vuelta, inconsistency is evident, as Caisse d’Epargne, said to be under investigation in France for suspicious medical waste at last year’s Tour and still openly defending its banned star rider Valverde, is in the Vuelta.

Is it fair? Absolutely not. But it’s not unprecedented; in fact, it may not even be unexpected.
Add to this the fact that RS was too good to race in the Giro, and it is not surprising that the Vuelta took a pass.

As it says at the end of the article, "is it fair" that RS was excluded if they really wanted to race? No, but they bear at least some responsibility for making the bed they are currently lying in as far as the Vuelta goes.

I always follow the Vuelta on TV : it's been a great race especially in the last few years.

Saxo look particularly strong : Canc, the Schlecks, Stuey.
AG2R look strong as well.