5'10" Tall, 84 cm inseam - Road bike fit?

stbiker

May 23, 2007
Just wondering about the best road bike for me. I am 5'10" tall, with 84 cm inseam. Is a 56 cm road bike the best size ? Or, should I be looking at a 54 cm bike ?

stbiker said:
Just wondering about the best road bike for me. I am 5'10" tall, with 84 cm inseam. Is a 56 cm road bike the best size ? Or, should I be looking at a 54 cm bike ?
A road bike frame whose top tube is 56cm would probably suit you much better than one with a 54cm top tube.

stbiker said:
You've got long legs. A 54 is definitely too small. Go for a 56, or a 58 with a shortish top tube. Whatever you end up on, the top tube should be in the 56-57.5 cm range.

stbiker said:
I am about your height, but my biking inseam is 34" (86.36cm). A 56cm Cannondale CAAD8 Optimo1 had too much of a long tube to fit me well. I opted for a 54cm frame, and it fits well, and also handles like a charm.

I suppose I could have tried to put a shorter stem on the 56cm, but I do not like messing with the design-geometry/specs on bikes.

I say ride both sizes, and go with what feels good to you.

Regards,

Luc

stbiker, I'm 5'10, 84 cm inseam. I just bought a 56 CAAD9 and fits me well. Had to change the stem (100 mm vs original 110 mm). Could have fitted into a 54 as well, but the drop was a bit too big.

Of course, fit is entirely personal, so my comments are as good as yesterday's paper.

My measurements are very similar to yours, - 5'10'' and 82cm inseam, I ride a mens ocr-2 in medium and find that comfortable

stbiker said:
I am also almost exactly you size and have three road bikes, all 56, with stems from 100-130. I have one 54 with a 130 mm stem. Depending on your riding style, arm/torso length, specific bike frame geometry, etc....54-58 could work for you.