5200 or 5500?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Mike Pasik, Feb 16, 2003.

  1. Mike Pasik

    Mike Pasik Guest

    Hello, I'm thinking of a new road bike this spring. I have my eye on either a Trek 5200 or 5500. If
    I'm reading the specs right, the only difference I see between the two is that the 5500 has
    Durra-Ace components. The frames seem identical. If this is the case, is it worth the extra $$ for
    the Durra-Ace components? I plan on riding around 1500 to 2000 miles per year. Also, how durable are
    the Bontrager wheels. I'm not familiar with this make. Thanks for any advise.

    Mike

  2. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "Mike Pasik" <[email protected]> wrote in news:L7U3a.9103$jR3.4921336 @news1.news.adelphia.net:
    > If I'm reading the specs right, the only difference I see between the two is that the 5500 has
    > Durra-Ace components. The frames seem identical. If this is the case, is it worth the extra $$ for
    > the Durra-Ace components? I plan on riding around 1500 to 2000 miles per year. Also, how durable
    > are the Bontrager wheels. I'm not familiar with this make.

    2000 miles a year is about 40 miles a week. At that level, I think even a 105-level bike will be
    more than adequate for your needs at half the price. You won't notice any difference between Ultegra
    and Dura Ace unless you're a competitive racer. Bontrager is Trek's house brand and should be fine
    unless you use them to jump curbs.

    Ken

  3. Spot T. Rex

    Spot T. Rex Guest

    Got a 5200 in March last year. Have 3400 miles not even one problem. Just changed the Bontrager
    Tires last week. Never even adjusted the wheels. Could not be more pleased with a bike. Ave about 18
    -19 MPH. Would you believe not even a flat tire.

    "Mike Pasik" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello, I'm thinking of a new road bike this spring. I have my eye on either a Trek 5200 or 5500.
    > If I'm reading the specs right, the only difference I see between the two is that the 5500 has
    > Durra-Ace components. The frames seem identical. If this is the case, is it worth the extra $$ for
    > the Durra-Ace
    components?
    > I plan on riding around 1500 to 2000 miles per year. Also, how durable are the Bontrager wheels.
    > I'm not familiar with this make. Thanks for any advise.
    >
    > Mike
    >

    > --

  4. Mike: You are correct, the 5200 & 5500 share identical framesets & wheels. Since those are the only
    two components that affect the actual ride of a bike, they will ride exactly the same. The DuraAce
    components will be a bit longer-last, and some people prefer the feel of the shifters. However, I'm
    not convinced that the DuraAce triple is that much of a step up from the Ultegra version.

    Price-wise, they're much no longer $1000 apart. A 5200 runs about $2500 (just $30 more for a triple)
    while a 5500 double goes for $3100 and a triple for $3200. They brought the pricing closer by using
    the same wheels on both bikes, while for 2002, the 5500 had the lighter-weight Race X-Lites.

    Durability, in general, doesn't sound like it's going to be an issue for you, as either DuraAce or
    Ultegra should both last many, many years if ridden only 2000 miles/year. However, that was the old
    you. The new you is going to find a lot more time to get out and ride that cool bike! That's an
    order, by the way. :>)

    "Mike Pasik" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello, I'm thinking of a new road bike this spring. I have my eye on either a Trek 5200 or 5500.
    > If I'm reading the specs right, the only difference I see between the two is that the 5500 has
    > Durra-Ace components. The frames seem identical. If this is the case, is it worth the extra $$ for
    > the Durra-Ace
    components?
    > I plan on riding around 1500 to 2000 miles per year. Also, how durable are the Bontrager wheels.
    > I'm not familiar with this make. Thanks for any advise.
    >
    > Mike
    >

    > --

  5. Mike Pasik

    Mike Pasik Guest

    Thanks for all the advise from everyone. It's a toss up but I think the 5500 will be the one. If I'm
    lucky, it will arrive just in time when all the snow melts. I've got a lot of miles to put on
    it...right Mike?