700C Touring tires

Michael Tissington wrote:
> What do people recomend as a good long distance touring tire, that I can
> ride at both 70psi or 40psi depending on road conditions?
>
> 700C x 35 or wider.

I usually commute with 700C x 32, so you may have to temper all my
ramblings with availability in wider sizes.

I've had good luck with Vittoria Randonneur and Panaracer Pasela tires
(Nashbar usually has a sale running on the Panaracers). Very good
p*nct*r* resistance and wear on the Vittoria, good for the Panaracer.
IME, rolling resistance is more a factor of pressure than tires when the
tires are this wide.

Continental Contact tires wear like iron, and when you get flats, it's
like prying iron tires off the rims.

Pat

Michael Tissington wrote:

> What do people recomend as a good long distance touring tire, that I can
> ride at both 70psi or 40psi depending on road conditions?
>
> 700C x 35 or wider.

If you use Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires, you may be able to forgo the
40psi variation, because the 1/4" thick gummy puncture-resistant
urethane layer softens the ride even when the tire is inflated very
hard. They are available in sizes from 700x25 to 700x45.

http://schwalbetires.com/node/142/ok

Chalo

Panaracer Pasela 700x37. I have them on my Surly LHT. They're pretty true to
size - about 36mm wide when mounted on a Mavic Module 3 rim.

Nick

news:[email protected]...

Chalo <[email protected]> wrote:

> Michael Tissington wrote:
>>
>> What do people recomend as a good long distance touring tire, that I can
>> ride at both 70psi or 40psi depending on road conditions?
>>
>> 700C x 35 or wider.

> If you use Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires, you may be able to forgo the
> 40psi variation, because the 1/4" thick gummy puncture-resistant
> urethane layer softens the ride even when the tire is inflated very
> hard. They are available in sizes from 700x25 to 700x45.

True. I run my 700c28 M+s at about 95-100 psi usually. It makes for
nice cornering and the ride is still pretty nice. I didn't even pinch
flat when I flat spotted a rim hard on a pothole going about 45mph.

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
To err is human, to repent, divine, to persist, devilish.

Nick Payne wrote:
> Panaracer Pasela 700x37. I have them on my Surly LHT. They're pretty true to
> size - about 36mm wide when mounted on a Mavic Module 3 rim.

Here's another vote for the Paselas, in the size of your choice. IMO/E
they are good tires at a very good price.

Michael Tissington wrote:
> What do people recomend as a good long distance touring tire, that I can
> ride at both 70psi or 40psi depending on road conditions?
>
> 700C x 35 or wider.
>
> --
> Michael Tissington
> http://www.oaklodge.com
> http://www.sqlview.net

I use Conti TT2000 700 x 37. Have 9000km on the rear tire with plenty
of tread left. Would not hesitate to buy them again.

Michael Tissington wrote:
> What do people recomend as a good long distance touring tire, that I can
> ride at both 70psi or 40psi depending on road conditions?
>
> 700C x 35 or wider.
>
> --
> Michael Tissington
> http://www.oaklodge.com