700x23,25 recommendations

Finlay Mackay

Guest
Hi,

I'm roadifying a track bike and looking for tyre recommendatins. 700x23
or 25 clinchers with a good price/weight/puncture resistance compromise
(I realise that's probably one of those "choose any two" situations but
you never know). I see Marathon Plusses are available in 700x25; any
experience with these?

cheers,

Finlay

Finlay Mackay wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm roadifying a track bike and looking for tyre recommendatins.
> 700x23 or 25 clinchers with a good price/weight/puncture resistance
> compromise (I realise that's probably one of those "choose any two"
> situations but you never know). I see Marathon Plusses are available
> in 700x25; any experience with these?

Marathon Plusses don't compromise on weight at all. They're very heavy
indeed.

My suggestion is Panaracer Pasela or Vittoria Rubino Pro. They're not
extremely cheap, but good value for money, IMO. They're half way between
racing and touring tyres in terms of weight, rolling resistance and puncture
resistance.

~PB

I scribbled:
> My suggestion is Panaracer Pasela or Vittoria Rubino Pro. They're not
> extremely cheap, but good value for money, IMO. They're half way
> between racing and touring tyres in terms of weight, rolling
> resistance and puncture resistance.

I should say "typical" touring tyres, because Pasela is marketed as a
touring tyre. But it's pretty light, and with skin walls. Rubino Pro is
slicker, has a stronger sidewall, but less rubber so maybe not quite so
puncture resistant.

If you don't mind a bit heavier, also look at the Specialized range -
Armadillo, etc.

Come the summer and you want something lighter and faster, how about
Vittoria Open Corsa or a similar model from Michelin.

~PB

Finlay Mackay <fmackayatclaradotcodotyookay> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm roadifying a track bike and looking for tyre recommendatins. 700x23
> or 25 clinchers with a good price/weight/puncture resistance compromise
> (I realise that's probably one of those "choose any two" situations but
> you never know). I see Marathon Plusses are available in 700x25; any
> experience with these?

Schwalbe Stelvio Evolution are good. Grip like **** on a blanket, roll as
fast as anything out there, and although not specially puncture proof, I've
gone three years on them (summer only) without punctures.

Error 1109: There is no message for this error