70's road bike for racing.

nkobs

Feb 3, 2012
Hey all. I have been wanting to get into cycling more and more within the last few years. Money has been a but of an issue so I can't really look at new bikes for a little while. I have a 1978 Richfield bike. I've never heard of the manufacturer but it's a decent bike. I know how to tune and fix anything on it so I've upgraded it just a little. I have new tires on it. I put all new cables and got some new brake pads. It has a new seat and new handlebar tape. I am about to join a cycling team that is pretty laid back. It's for my wifes work. There are 6-7 races through the year and I have to ride in 2 of them. I would like to ride in more. Do you think my bike will work well enough for some of these races? I'm not looking to place or anything, just enjoy being on a bike with many other bike lovers. Thanks.

If it's well maintained, running smoothly, and not structurally compromised (rust, accidents, etc.) it should do just fine. I haven't heard of it either but no one had heard of my 27lbs 'Metro' with stamped steel dropouts, shiny steel wheels, and 42" wheelbase either before I blasted past them during my first race at Bear Mountain. Ok I admit I had upgraded the wheels and installed toeclips and used cleats. But the thing was still a tank.

I had some coconut at a LBS tell me the old bikes aren't built to handle the rigors of modern racing. Comical because I'll probably never put out the power of the old school elites but the old school bikes semed to work just fine for them. He just wanted me to buy a new bike.

I bet you will find once you are in "race shape" and not getting dropped you will want to do more than just 2. Road Bike Action magazine had a top 100 list some time back. One of the bullets I remember: It takes a long time to get in racing form, it takes longer than one thinks to loose that form. Enjoy it while you have it.

danfoz said:
If it's well maintained, running smoothly, and not structurally compromised (rust, accidents, etc.) it should do just fine.
I had some coconut at a LBS tell me the old bikes aren't built to handle the rigors of modern racing. Comical because I'll probably never put out the power of the old school elites but the old school bikes semed to work just fine for them..
+1. I seem to remember many generations of racers winning a lot of races on such bikes and doing so at paces that would still leave many of today's racers far behind. CF, Aluminum, Ti, Steel, Magnesium.......you can race any of it, no matter what the marketing guys and their followers say.