Bought my 1st bike not too long ago: Is it a capable road racing machine?

SlowJason

Aug 13, 2005
Not too long ago I purchased a bike on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7158837168&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEAFB%3AIT&rd=1

Since it has arrived I've started training longer and harder and am now thinking about competing on a regular basis. I'm not really knowledgeable when it comes to equipment - I just like to ride - but I'm wondering if I should upgrade this bike or start out with a better bike (maybe a used Kestrel Talon)? I've had people give me mixed opinions about my curent bike...some say Schwinn is utter **** now and others say I actually have a very good bike.

Like I said, I'm new to the cycling world so I don't know what to think of my current bike. It seems to ride fine, but then again I really have nothing to compare it to. Any advice or comments would be appreciated.

I'm with roger, just get out and ride!

I think that bike will do you well in your first year or two.

The gains you make in fitness will far outstrip the gains to be made from upgrading or replacing your machine.

If you can hang with the best riders in your local club rides or races, then start thinking about replacing that bike.

that bike looks great visually!

trust me i race on a bike of the same level and its not too bad, but you will eventually become desperate to upgrade as the rest of the field have these amazing machines.

I have the advantage of having things to compare my bike to even though iv only had one road bike. I am really good friends with bike shop owners and they always have me one one bike or another testing newly fixed one or just testing them to see if i like em. Im about to get a $600 Raleigh Gran Prix before i enter my first race, a criterium. The bike i have now is a very old Nishiki International. It rides ok but not race worthy plus its tension shirfting on the downtube.

Nothing wrong with racing that bike at all. As you've probably heard it's not about the bike anyway..... it's about you. You can safely ignore anyone who talks about this or that brand being better, blah, blah, blah.... It's all ********. As long as the thing fits you and is set up and maintained properly you'll do well.

Good Luck

oh yeah, race it.
three suggestions,
make the fit raceworthy (saddle high enough and far enough back)

the stem height is in a very conservative position as shown, a lower postion is more suitable for racing.

pump up the tires to 115 and oil the chain.

let 'er rip.

SlowJason said:

to compare it to. Any advice or comments would be appreciated.

I like your bike just looking at it makes me want to ride.

SlowJason said:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7158837168&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEAFB%3AIT&rd=1

Since it has arrived I've started training longer and harder and am now thinking about competing on a regular basis. I'm not really knowledgeable when it comes to equipment - I just like to ride - but I'm wondering if I should upgrade this bike or start out with a better bike (maybe a used Kestrel Talon)? I've had people give me mixed opinions about my curent bike...some say Schwinn is utter **** now and others say I actually have a very good bike.

Like I said, I'm new to the cycling world so I don't know what to think of my current bike. It seems to ride fine, but then again I really have nothing to compare it to. Any advice or comments would be appreciated.