80s Japanese Bianchis and Nishikis?

Scott Gordo

Guest
I've got a question for the historians out there.

I'm looking at an 80's Nishiki Custom Sport:
http://images.craigslist.org/010201010403010305200706216fff788523dad4198500195e.jpg

The paint scheme obviously mimics Bianchi's black and celeste.

Question is, when Bianchi started contracting bikes to be built in
Japan, were they built in the same factory as Nishikis? That is, is
this essentially a Bianchi imitating a Nishiki / a Nishiki imitating a
Bianchi?

Thanks.

Scott

On Jun 22, 11:53 am, Scott Gordo <[email protected]> wrote:
> I've got a question for the historians out there.
>
> I'm looking at an 80's Nishiki Custom Sport:http://images.craigslist.org/010201010403010305200706216fff788523dad4...
>
> The paint scheme obviously mimics Bianchi's black and celeste.
>
> Question is, when Bianchi started contracting bikes to be built in
> Japan, were they built in the same factory as Nishikis? That is, is
> this essentially a Bianchi imitating a Nishiki / a Nishiki imitating a
> Bianchi?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Scott

For the subtle looker that is green, and Bianchi uses celeste. That
green is a little greener than bianchi's celeste. Also, bianchi only
did celeste until I beleive that in the early 90s they did a celeste
bike with black stays and fork. It was different from the nishiki
pictured.

Andres

Scott Gordo wrote:
> I've got a question for the historians out there.
>
> I'm looking at an 80's Nishiki Custom Sport:
> http://images.craigslist.org/010201010403010305200706216fff788523dad4198500195e.jpg
>
> The paint scheme obviously mimics Bianchi's black and celeste.
>
> Question is, when Bianchi started contracting bikes to be built in
> Japan, were they built in the same factory as Nishikis? That is, is
> this essentially a Bianchi imitating a Nishiki / a Nishiki imitating a
> Bianchi?

No relationship. A similar shade of green appeared on Schwinns, Miyatas
and many others in the 'Miami Vice " era. With pink/salmon accents no less!

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Scott Gordo wrote:
> > I've got a question for the historians out there.
> >
> > I'm looking at an 80's Nishiki Custom Sport:

http://images.craigslist.org/010201010403010305200706216fff788523dad4198500195e.jpg

> > The paint scheme obviously mimics Bianchi's black and celeste.
> >
> > Question is, when Bianchi started contracting bikes to be built in
> > Japan, were they built in the same factory as Nishikis? That is, is
> > this essentially a Bianchi imitating a Nishiki / a Nishiki imitating a
> > Bianchi?

> No relationship. A similar shade of green appeared on Schwinns, Miyatas
> and many others in the 'Miami Vice " era. With pink/salmon accents no

less!

> --
> Andrew Muzi
> www.yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Centurion "Ironman" tri-bikes - pink and yellow.

Chas.