A friend had her bike stolen off her car the other day.....

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Llatikcuf, Mar 10, 2006.

  1. Llatikcuf

    Llatikcuf Guest

    Her Santa Cruze was locked down to the top of her car with a Yakima
    Steelhead, walked inside her house to grab a couple more things before
    the ride. Thieves cut the crossbars and stole the bike, still locked to
    the rack! In under 5 min!

    No bike is safe on a car rack.

    -Nate

    Tags:

  2. Llatikcuf wrote:
    > Her Santa Cruze was locked down to the top of her car with a Yakima
    > Steelhead, walked inside her house to grab a couple more things before
    > the ride. Thieves cut the crossbars and stole the bike, still locked
    > to the rack! In under 5 min!

    What kind of neighborhood was this in???

    > No bike is safe on a car rack.
    >
    > -Nate

    The president of our cycling club on campus here had her bike stolen, but I
    don't think it was locked down. One listserv message and one day later, it
    was spotted near the campus hub... what kind of idiot would take a $4k bike
    and then leave it in plain view everywhere?

    Anyways, the president came by the shop, got our bolt cutters, and promptly
    snipped it off. It was in perfect condition.
    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  3. What kind of idiot would have a $4k bike on any campus in the first
    place.

    I've had 3 bikes stolen from campus so far. All locked with cable
    locks. The last one was a $5.38 Huffy. The lock cost more. The
    average bike thief doesn't care how much it cost, just how easy it is
    to take.

  4. Slash

    Slash Guest

    On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 12:08:49 -0500, "Phil, Squid-in-Training"
    <[email protected]> scribbled:

    >Llatikcuf wrote:
    >> Her Santa Cruze was locked down to the top of her car with a Yakima
    >> Steelhead, walked inside her house to grab a couple more things before
    >> the ride. Thieves cut the crossbars and stole the bike, still locked
    >> to the rack! In under 5 min!

    >What kind of neighborhood was this in???
    >
    >> No bike is safe on a car rack.
    >>
    >> -Nate

    >The president of our cycling club on campus here had her bike stolen, but I
    >don't think it was locked down. One listserv message and one day later, it
    >was spotted near the campus hub... what kind of idiot would take a $4k bike
    >and then leave it in plain view everywhere?
    >
    >Anyways, the president came by the shop, got our bolt cutters, and promptly
    >snipped it off. It was in perfect condition.

    Something similar happened at a business near where I live a while
    back. Was cabled to a rack, thieves cut the cable and the straps that
    hold the wheels to the gutter.

    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=47172

    -Slash
    --
    "Ebert Victorious"
    -The Onion

  5. Llatikcuf

    Llatikcuf Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > What kind of idiot would have a $4k bike on any campus in the first
    > place.
    >
    > I've had 3 bikes stolen from campus so far. All locked with cable
    > locks. The last one was a $5.38 Huffy. The lock cost more. The
    > average bike thief doesn't care how much it cost, just how easy it is
    > to take.

    At the University of Utah, campus police reported over 40 bikes were
    stolen in the first month of Fall semester. I never heard the total
    number for the semester.

    -Nate

  6. Sandy

    Sandy Guest

    Dans le message de
    news:[email protected],
    Llatikcuf <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :
    > [email protected] wrote:
    >> What kind of idiot would have a $4k bike on any campus in the first
    >> place.
    >>
    >> I've had 3 bikes stolen from campus so far. All locked with cable
    >> locks. The last one was a $5.38 Huffy. The lock cost more. The
    >> average bike thief doesn't care how much it cost, just how easy it is
    >> to take.

    > At the University of Utah, campus police reported over 40 bikes were
    > stolen in the first month of Fall semester. I never heard the total
    > number for the semester.
    >
    > -Nate

    Looks as though at least 40 people were quickly, effectively educated at
    that university. Bravo.
    --
    Sandy
    Verneuil-sur-Seine

    La vie, c'est comme une bicyclette,
    il faut avancer pour ne pas perdre l'équilibre.
    -- Einstein, A.

  7. Llatikcuf

    Llatikcuf Guest

    Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
    > Llatikcuf wrote:
    > > Her Santa Cruze was locked down to the top of her car with a Yakima
    > > Steelhead, walked inside her house to grab a couple more things before
    > > the ride. Thieves cut the crossbars and stole the bike, still locked
    > > to the rack! In under 5 min!

    > What kind of neighborhood was this in???

    Good neighborhood, on the good side of town.

    > > No bike is safe on a car rack.
    > >
    > > -Nate

    > The president of our cycling club on campus here had her bike stolen, but I
    > don't think it was locked down. One listserv message and one day later, it
    > was spotted near the campus hub... what kind of idiot would take a $4k bike
    > and then leave it in plain view everywhere?

    What kind of idiot would take a $4k bike and lock it up on campus?

    -nate

  8. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    Llatikcuf wrote:
    > Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
    >> Llatikcuf wrote:
    >>> Her Santa Cruze was locked down to the top of her car with a Yakima
    >>> Steelhead, walked inside her house to grab a couple more things
    >>> before the ride. Thieves cut the crossbars and stole the bike,
    >>> still locked to the rack! In under 5 min!

    >> What kind of neighborhood was this in???

    > Good neighborhood, on the good side of town.

    Of course, why would a thief look on the other side of town. :^(

  9. SYJ

    SYJ Guest

    ---snip---

    > At the University of Utah, campus police reported over 40 bikes were
    > stolen in the first month of Fall semester. I never heard the total
    > number for the semester.
    >
    > -Nate

    You a Ute too?

    In a more topical area, Several years ago, someone destroyed a Manitou
    Mach 5 fork trying to rip my bike off my locked Thule roof rack in
    Vegas. Lucky for me, the fork was one of the recalled units, and since
    I worked at a shop, Answer told me not to bother with sending the
    (destroyed) sliders in.

    Awhile later, someone succeeded in stealing a different bike sporting
    the replacement fork from a different locked Thule rack at a different
    location in Vegas. Judging from the amount of material left on my
    roof, they trashed the fork dropouts in doing so (they apparently
    worked the bike back & forth in the locked rack enough to deform the
    dropouts)

    SYJ
    Soon to be ex-student of the UoU SJQ CoL

  10. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 16:44:27 -0500, "Michael Dart"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Llatikcuf wrote:
    >> Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
    >>>
    >>> What kind of neighborhood was this in???

    >> Good neighborhood, on the good side of town.

    >Of course, why would a thief look on the other side of town. :^(

    Interviewer: "Whay do you rob banks?"

    Clyde Barrow: "Because that's where the money is."

    I will note that in my most recent survey of the bikes visible in the
    racks on the Rice University campus, the number of non-X-mart units
    was getting close to zero. I saw a couple of low-end name-brands, but
    the rest were a mix of Next, Magna, Roadmaster, Vertical, Huffy and
    the like. There were also a number of snipped cable locks still
    wrapped around the bars of a couple of the racks. Very few bikes were
    secured with cables this year; the U-lock has made a resurgence.

    One Roadmaster that has not changed position in four years was still
    secured to its rack with an old tubular-key U-lock. The tires have
    been flat since I first saw it, and they're now deterioratd to the
    point that they couldn't be inflated without blowing out. I believe
    that its continued presence is due in some part to its being directly
    outside the window of a building where there are people present pretty
    much 24/7. (And, of course, it's a Roadmaster with obviously flat
    tires.)
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

  11. Llatikcuf

    Llatikcuf Guest

    > You a Ute too?

    Yup, I have a few years left though. Too much time on the bike, not
    enough time in class.

    > Soon to be ex-student of the UoU SJQ CoL

    Good luck! I know quite a few people in that profession. In fact I know
    a lot of people who work at RQN.

    -Nate

  12. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    "SYJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Awhile later, someone succeeded in stealing a different bike sporting
    > the replacement fork from a different locked Thule rack at a different
    > location in Vegas. Judging from the amount of material left on my
    > roof, they trashed the fork dropouts in doing so (they apparently
    > worked the bike back & forth in the locked rack enough to deform the
    > dropouts)

    Yep, I've had a bike locked in a Yakima Steelhead works it way out after 2
    days of driving, 1/2 a day of which was on bumpy roads. The bike slammed
    into the side of my Cherokee hanging on by just the rear strap. We were in
    the middle of creepy forest in northern California and I thought Big Foot
    had just attacked us.

    The fork had lawyer lips so it really makes me wonder about those disk brake
    ejections.

    Greg

  13. RonSonic

    RonSonic Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Llatikcuf wrote:
    >> Her Santa Cruze was locked down to the top of her car with a Yakima
    >> Steelhead, walked inside her house to grab a couple more things before
    >> the ride. Thieves cut the crossbars and stole the bike, still locked
    >> to the rack! In under 5 min!

    >What kind of neighborhood was this in???
    >
    >> No bike is safe on a car rack.
    >>
    >> -Nate

    >The president of our cycling club on campus here had her bike stolen, but I
    >don't think it was locked down. One listserv message and one day later, it
    >was spotted near the campus hub... what kind of idiot would take a $4k bike
    >and then leave it in plain view everywhere?

    Obviously an idiot who had no idea it was a $4K bike, or perhaps that such a
    thing existed.

    >Anyways, the president came by the shop, got our bolt cutters, and promptly
    >snipped it off. It was in perfect condition.

    Good thing she got it before the tires went low and the rims were ruint by a
    mook who couldn't figure out how to get air into a presta stem.

    Ron

  14. [email protected] wrote:
    > What kind of idiot would have a $4k bike on any campus in the first
    > place.

    Who said it was on campus?

    > I've had 3 bikes stolen from campus so far. All locked with cable
    > locks. The last one was a $5.38 Huffy. The lock cost more. The
    > average bike thief doesn't care how much it cost, just how easy it is
    > to take.

    Average. We have some smarter than the average idiot ones here...

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  15. Llatikcuf wrote:
    > [email protected] wrote:
    >> What kind of idiot would have a $4k bike on any campus in the first
    >> place.
    >>
    >> I've had 3 bikes stolen from campus so far. All locked with cable
    >> locks. The last one was a $5.38 Huffy. The lock cost more. The
    >> average bike thief doesn't care how much it cost, just how easy it is
    >> to take.

    > At the University of Utah, campus police reported over 40 bikes were
    > stolen in the first month of Fall semester. I never heard the total
    > number for the semester.

    Two months ago, the count was up to 62 here at the University of Florida.
    Sixty-two! A month later, they caught a priest who had 312 stolen bikes
    (amongst lawn mowers, big screen TVs, xboxes, washer/dryers) in his
    possession at his rented home near our bike shop. He stole some of our
    shop's wheels, tubes, and other easily-yanked items when our back gate was
    open. That month had a LOT of repairs come in.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  16. Llatikcuf wrote:
    > Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
    >> Llatikcuf wrote:
    >>> Her Santa Cruze was locked down to the top of her car with a Yakima
    >>> Steelhead, walked inside her house to grab a couple more things
    >>> before the ride. Thieves cut the crossbars and stole the bike,
    >>> still locked to the rack! In under 5 min!

    >> What kind of neighborhood was this in???

    > Good neighborhood, on the good side of town.

    Must've been people cruising for an easy steal.

    >>> No bike is safe on a car rack.
    >>>
    >>> -Nate

    >> The president of our cycling club on campus here had her bike
    >> stolen, but I don't think it was locked down. One listserv message
    >> and one day later, it was spotted near the campus hub... what kind
    >> of idiot would take a $4k bike and then leave it in plain view
    >> everywhere?
    >>

    > What kind of idiot would take a $4k bike and lock it up on campus?

    Who said it was on campus? You need to read more carefully.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  17. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 21:39:45 -0800, Brian Huntley wrote:

    > Werehatrack wrote:
    >> Interviewer: "Whay do you rob banks?"
    >>
    >> Clyde Barrow: "Because that's where the money is."

    > Willie Sutton, actually. One of the greats.
    >
    > http://www.fbi.gov/libref/historic/famcases/sutton/sutton.htm

    My grandfather was a prison warden in Philadelphia in the 40s, and Slick
    Willie was one of his residents. My grandfather was not on duty when
    Willie & Co. escaped! I heard many Slick Willie stories as a child.

    Matt O.

  18. SYJ

    SYJ Guest

    Llatikcuf wrote:
    > > You a Ute too?

    > Yup, I have a few years left though. Too much time on the bike, not
    > enough time in class.

    Story of my life (add skis to the mix, if you want to be thorough). I
    guess that's why I'm still in school at age 31.

    > > Soon to be ex-student of the UoU SJQ CoL

    > Good luck! I know quite a few people in that profession. In fact I know
    > a lot of people who work at RQN.
    >
    > -Nate

    Thanks. Managed to finagle my way into a pretty decent non-firm
    gig...Now I just need to sweat the bar. RQN's a great place, but I
    don't have the credentials (religious or academic) to work in 'God's
    Law Firm' (as a few friends, one of whom clerked at Ray Quinney, call
    it).

    SYJ

  19. Glenn Dowdy

    Glenn Dowdy Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > What kind of idiot would have a $4k bike on any campus in the first
    > place.
    >
    > I've had 3 bikes stolen from campus so far. All locked with cable
    > locks. The last one was a $5.38 Huffy. The lock cost more. The
    > average bike thief doesn't care how much it cost, just how easy it is
    > to take.

    I had two rules for parking a bike at the UW: 1, use _two_ u-locks, and 2,
    always park next to a better bike.

    Glenn D.