A friend had her bike stolen off her car the other day.....

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 08:41:15 -0800, Llatikcuf wrote:

> Her Santa Cruze was locked down to the top of her car with a Yakima
> Steelhead, walked inside her house to grab a couple more things before
> the ride. Thieves cut the crossbars and stole the bike, still locked to
> the rack! In under 5 min!
>
> No bike is safe on a car rack.

Not in her neighborhood, at least.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not
_`\(,_ | certain, and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to
(_)/ (_) | reality. -- Albert Einstein

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 22:48:18 +0000, Werehatrack wrote:

> I will note that in my most recent survey of the bikes visible in the
> racks on the Rice University campus, the number of non-X-mart units
> was getting close to zero.

Well, I commuted to Rice by bike when I visited there (many moons ago),
and never considered locking my bike to an on-campus rack. My bike came
into the office with me, just like it does now.

Maybe this is what you are seeing; most decent bikes used for commuting
are ridden by people who can lock the darn thing inside somewhere. My
impression is that the majority of undergrads either live on campus or
within walking distance, and everyone else has an office.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Some people used to claim that, if enough monkeys sat in front
_`\(,_ | of enough typewriters and typed long enough, eventually one of
(_)/ (_) | them would reproduce the collected works of Shakespeare. The
internet has proven this not to be the case.

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 02:40:35 -0500, Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:

> Two months ago, the count was up to 62 here at the University of Florida.
> Sixty-two! A month later, they caught a priest who had 312 stolen bikes

A priest?

--

David L. Johnson

__o | "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored
_`\(,_ | by little statesmen and philosophers and divines." --Ralph Waldo
(_)/ (_) | Emerson

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 01:29:16 -0500, "David L. Johnson"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 22:48:18 +0000, Werehatrack wrote:
>
>> I will note that in my most recent survey of the bikes visible in the
>> racks on the Rice University campus, the number of non-X-mart units
>> was getting close to zero.

>Well, I commuted to Rice by bike when I visited there (many moons ago),
>and never considered locking my bike to an on-campus rack. My bike came
>into the office with me, just like it does now.
>
>Maybe this is what you are seeing; most decent bikes used for commuting
>are ridden by people who can lock the darn thing inside somewhere.

I'm sure you're right. I've seen a number of good bikes under riders
on campus, and some in offices.

>My
>impression is that the majority of undergrads either live on campus or
>within walking distance, and everyone else has an office.

Undergrads live on campus; it's a requirement. Grad students can
commute. Some of the dorm rooms are miniscule, but bikes are still
often parked in them.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
> Per Llatikcuf:
> >RQN

Ray, Quinney, Nebeker. It's a big law firm. -- Jay Beattie.